DJIA 30 Direct Trading - Help Please !!

neck ingold

Hello,

How can i trade directly on DJIA 30, " without the futures", are there any brokerages offering direct market access or is there any such things as direct trading with DJIA, as i searched all over the net and couldn't find any info, just everything is related to futures trading.

Thanks !!

Like the other guys I am not sure exactly what it is you want to do, the DJIA is an index as you no doubt know, what exactly is it you are trying to trade
If you want to trade the component stocks, INTC, AIG, PFE etc then any proper broker will allow this, but I have a feeling that's not what you mean.

Thanks everyone for the vital info,

Actually i had opened an account with GCI trading on CFD, and i started trading Dow jones 'cos it had the only volatility worth trading intraday.

I made some profits on the first day, later, when i gained confidence, i started trading big, and lost huge amounts, the problem was there chart and ticks does not match up with the quotes of dow they were always 20 or 40 points ahead or behind the real quote, later i found out that in the name of CFD, they are actually trading Futures on all the indces as a result when i put my trade, the volatility goes down and i loose the trade, i had to wait for three or four ticks of Dow for the futures to go up and down and in the initial trading hours i always loose as they wait 20 poins for the clear up.

Be careful, i enquired with all the major brokers igmarkets and finspreads and almost all other brokers, in the name of CFD, what they do is put you down with futures and you will definetly loose the trade due to the volatility problem in futures.

BE carefull once again, its not CFD, its FUTURES !!, clarify in advance before dealing in any trade !!

The only one clear cut way is through spread bettiing Dow daily cash.

Due to high volatility, i view that daily some money can be made just by trading in late hours on DOW !!

Joules MM1

Thanks, I got your point, i thought CFD and Futures aren't the same or is it ???? cos due to this confusion i lost some 100's dollars :(

These people you are quoting are not brokers, they are spreadbetting shops, they make their own market CFD's, I'm not even really sure what they are, some weird sort of derrivative. These are brokers which may be more suitable for what your are trying to do. But before you trade anything you must understand exactly what it is you are trading and what makes it move.
http://www.interactivebrokers.co.uk/en/main.php?red=1
http://www.tradestation.com/default_2.shtm
http://www.cybertrader.com/
http://www.directaccesselite.com/

neck ingold, as someone said before it is impossible to trade the actual index, it doesn't exist, it is just a measure of how the constituent shares are doing.

The closest thing to trading the actual index would be a cash spreadbet, but even these are calculated from the futures with the interest calculation discounted to give an approximation of the underlying, in this case the index.

If you are going to trade the Dow, get yourself a broker you're happy with and then find a data feed for the futures contract that they offer or base their price on. As you say futures are more volatile than the underlying index, but that's the nature of the market I'm afraid, maybe you could try a less volatile index, or another instrument all together.

Reference to
I'm not even really sure what they are, some weird sort of derrivative

It's a trading instrument no matter how weird it may be, and the spreadbetting shops are counterparties, somebody who is necessary in a trade between a buyer and a seller. You could even think of them as "market makers".

Granted the
brokers which may be more suitable for what your are trying to do
may actually be suitable, no doubt about it.

But examine eg.
Account Package Fees
Platform with the Premium Package $249 per month or $149 per month
All CME + Market Depth $50 per month
NYSE OpenBook™ $50 per month
TotalView $5 per month

Contrast these to the spreadbetting shops, platform, usually free.

somebody who is necessary in a trade between a buyer and a seller
Eh the buyer is the counterparty to the seller and vice-versa, which would make the spreadbetting shop something else all together, MM, yes possibly something like that, as I said spreadbetters make their own market.
As for platform costs they vary from broker to broker, IB does not carry platform fees, as for other services and fees you choose what you need there is no such thing as a free lunch spreadbet firms make their money by introducing a large spread so there is nothing free there.