Days to Stay Away!!

cd173

Morning All

Due to the US Bond market being closed yesterday, I found the DAX particularly difficult in the afternoon session for my particular strategy. The morning was fine, but the afternoon horrendous :cry: Should have stayed away!
I find that on US holidays it is the same. However, aside from the obvious, are there particular days or times of the year when it's best not to play for a particular market??
Is the oncoming US election reason for a holiday, or maybe around the Xmas/New Year break??
If so, interested to know the reasons why??

Cheers
C

I think you answered that when you said the session wasn't right for your particular strategy. Different strategies work in different conditions - someone else might have loved it.

No single strategy will work all the time, so it makes sense to develop a few different ideas which can be traded across different timeframes and instruments. Diversification will substantially reduce drawdowns.

Hi Sidinuk

Totally agree with your point to strategy success. However, imho, there are (or must be!) days when markets must be incredibly difficult to turn a profit. The DAX on a US holiday is fine in the morning for me, but come afternoon it's flat, if not dead, with very little range. I would think that only the most seasoned and knowledgeable trader could make money in that environment!

Unfortunately for me, I am not one of them!! :cry:

cd173 said:
Morning All

Due to the US Bond market being closed yesterday, I found the DAX particularly difficult in the afternoon session for my particular strategy. The morning was fine, but the afternoon horrendous :cry: Should have stayed away!
I find that on US holidays it is the same. However, aside from the obvious, are there particular days or times of the year when it's best not to play for a particular market??
Is the oncoming US election reason for a holiday, or maybe around the Xmas/New Year break??
If so, interested to know the reasons why??

Cheers
C

I think you will find that traders HATE uncertainty. Any time there is uncertainty in the markets, you are going to want to sit out, no matter the timeframe.