Currencies are they optimistic?

demeanor

On Friday, currency market was all optimistic. The yen and dollar rose amid worries of weak U.S. corporate profits and fading hopes for a global recovery. Jitters about the US company earnings season fuelled demand for safe haven currencies like the dollar and yen.

so its better to invest in dollar, is it?

is carry trades season gone for now?

Last edited by a moderator:
risk appetite / aversion is changing on a daily basis right now. Often intraday. There's no generally right or wrong answer unfortunately. Witness the turnaround in risk appetite in the past 24 hours based largely on Meredith Whitney's views on Goldman Sachs.

Guess we all get to see if she's right or not (at least in the short term). Their earnings are announced 08:30 ET, 13:30 BST today. Estimate eps is 3.48, Whitney went for 4.65 I think. Risk trade definitely gonna key off this in the short term.

GJ

risk appetite / aversion is changing on a daily basis right now. Often intraday. There's no generally right or wrong answer unfortunately. Witness the turnaround in risk appetite in the past 24 hours based largely on Meredith Whitney's views on Goldman Sachs.

Guess we all get to see if she's right or not (at least in the short term). Their earnings are announced 08:30 ET, 13:30 BST today. Estimate eps is 3.48, Whitney went for 4.65 I think. Risk trade definitely gonna key off this in the short term.

GJ

hi GJ,

Always great to hear your analysis and views. Do you think we're near the end of a retrace in a bear market seeing how the market failed to rally today on the Goldman earnings?

Jason

I would describe the currency market as being optimistic when they sell USD and JPY not buy them..

I will continue to play the ends of the recent ranges in USD pairs.. breakouts are short lived and can be sold or bought.. last night's lack of follow through in EUR/USD at the range highs screams RANGE TRADE