Sell to Open Oct 31st 47.5 strike put
Buy to Open Oct 31st 45.5 Strike put
the two short legs (the ones sell to open) are the parameters
if Twitter stays between 47.5 and 51$ by Friday
its +15400 $
if it goes outside the two long legs (Buy to open) than its max loss -4800
risk 4800 to make 15400

Hi, CostaKapo,

I thought you would have provided a follow-up on your plays like w AMZN and TWTR.

As you presented the TWTR Iron Condor trade, the TWTR post-earnings impact resulted in a BIG downside move for TWTR well outside of your Iron Condor strikes.

I am assuming you had to suffer thru the LOSS of (-$4800) on this trade. Correct? (n)

However, all is not "lost" - there is always something to Debrief and hunt after positive beneficial Lesson(s) Learned items. :cool:

For example, with regards to your use of Iron Condors especially around earnings plays, normally there is one KEY PROCEDURAL RESEARCH STEP that you must and should have done with the TWTR earnings setup. :idea:

Interested? This is how professional volatility and credit players would have looked into your TWTR Iron Condor setup.

Lesson(s) Learned for TWTR Iron Condor:
1. Study the immediate past 3-5 post-earnings price action - and really "SEE" and measure the price volatility immediately after earnings report, and then price volatility at the Expiry Friday post-earnings. :smart:
2. With TWTR for example, you can easily see that for the past recent TWTR earnings week, the TWTR price action easily "deviated" away by > (9%) from the Closing price immediately prior to earnings report release. (y) :smart:
3. Hence, any Iron Condor with strikes set < (9%) as it "borders" will easily yield Max Loss results.

Do you understand, CostaKapo? The IC strategy is a solid robust strategy and does maximize some options properties. However, it is truly a volatility strategy - and so your "research" and "back-testing" of that IC earnings strategy should always include at least the immediate most recent 3-4 past earnings price action results. (y) :idea:

I hope this will help you to better apply Iron Condor strategies in/around earnings dates.

Also - another low-risk/high-return strategy play can be to set up "profit traps" to capture moves > (+/-8%) for example, like long strangle/short strangle strategies. :idea:

CostaKapo - most importantly, if you enjoy sharing your ideas and trading campaigns for Trade Entry setups and pricings - please try to also share the Closed Trade results (wins and losses both). This is how the T2W traders/readers can best LEARN from your ideas and trading initiatives! :smart:

Finally - make it a habit to DEBRIEF your Closed Trades (both wins, losses). It will help train/shift your mindset, and condition, and reinforce - that there always Lesson(s) Learned from unfavorable trading results! (y)

Thanks again for all of your time and input - keep it up! I enjoy reading your trades and ideas (esp since not too many serious options traders around here)! :clap:

Best regards,

WklyOptions

I will update soon - haven't had time. I never went through with the TWTR play. I am in this TSLA spread right now.

8998e065be11e485e82f4e10ec0a23.png

you put chicken bull in spread taste strange. even strange more you put in diary. why you smear in diary? make smell. attract flie,

Greetings

Hi just joined the group . I'm very much interested in weekly options. Sounds like you have very good experience in trading. Please send me your contact information.

Thanks
RK

Hi just joined the group . I'm very much interested in weekly options. Sounds like you have very good experience in trading. Please send me your contact information.

Thanks
RK

dont fink you interested my trading experience, but check detail profile honey, Mu

Sell to Open Oct 31st 51/53 call

Sell to Open Oct 31st 47.5/45.5 put

Hey Costa, I know you said you didn't take the TWTR trade but were you looking at taking this trade on the Friday as posted or would you have taken it on the Monday?

Just a little TWTR earnings info for your post...
Pre earnings Volatility was 147%, nice and rich compared to the usual 48% (give or take) but did you know that the expected earnings move was +-$6.19 so your legs were in a very aggressive position being just $3 to the upside and only $1 to the downside.

What was the reasoning for you choice of legs?

Hey Costa, I know you said you didn't take the TWTR trade but were you looking at taking this trade on the Friday as posted or would you have taken it on the Monday?

Just a little TWTR earnings info for your post...
Pre earnings Volatility was 147%, nice and rich compared to the usual 48% (give or take) but did you know that the expected earnings move was +-$6.19 so your legs were in a very aggressive position being just $3 to the upside and only $1 to the downside.

What was the reasoning for you choice of legs?

Hi, lloydbee,

Precisely my point earlier above. If Costa only took a bit of time to study the past 3-4 post-earnings price action from release date to the close of Expiry Friday immediately following release date - it can easily be determined that the closing price exceeds > (+9%) moves - well past and outside his IC strikes.

Traders that seek to exploit post-earnings releases should get into the habit of studying release events/dates for as many instances as possible. This is easy to do and often can yield valuable options strategy-related advantages. (y)

Best regards,

WklyOptions

Hi, lloydbee,

Precisely my point earlier above. If Costa only took a bit of time to study the past 3-4 post-earnings price action from release date to the close of Expiry Friday immediately following release date - it can easily be determined that the closing price exceeds > (+9%) moves - well past and outside his IC strikes.

Traders that seek to exploit post-earnings releases should get into the habit of studying release events/dates for as many instances as possible. This is easy to do and often can yield valuable options strategy-related advantages. (y)

Best regards,

WklyOptions

Yes this was exactly why I didn't go through with the play. I had originally looked at the expected move and put the legs inside the 6% expected move but then I had looked at previous plays and figured it would be outside that 6% range, and did not move forward.

What I did do was the $TSLA Bull Put Spread and a $DIS Iron Condor. I also bought some lotto tickets on $BABA and got cold feet early and missed out on a few grand.

cd2c806ab111e488802f313f95928f.png

The $BABA calls I purchased were as high as $10 dollars after I sold them. Total loss of 1210 on those contracts.

The $DIS Iron Condor was short legs of 89 and 91 - it expired Friday at 4 PM at 90. Right smack in the middle. Netted 100% of premium.

The $TSLA play out the gate was just dumb. If I didn't get cold feet I would have pocketed 2200 in premium as the short leg was 332.5 but going into earnings it kept rubbing up against 332.5 so I bought back 5 short contracts and bought a bear call spread on the opposite side creating that weird spread up above.

Last edited: