Career advice for a 15yr old

There is a big difference between BP and lehman. One isn't riddled with cancerous sub prime toxic cellulose, and the other controls a significant amount of the world's oil reserves and is highly lucrative. If you're thinking that the market isn't irrational in it's slamming of BP I would have a whole other list of companies that had strong financials with bad PR that came through after a year or two.

I know value investing requires a huge amount of fortitude and patience. This is why I like the idea of it; less people have the determination to see it through. I didn't step into value investing thinking it was going to give me monthly returns. If you say a stop loss in terms of getting out when the BP behemoth begins to sink, I suppose you could be right. But it had been trading at a p/e of 4.6-5 for the last few months, and I doubt it will sink any lower without going bankrupt. A lot of the people on that coast also operate and work on the rigs. They've recently filed a lawsuit and it has successfully lifted part of the moratorium. People are getting pissed at Obama, and halting all that drilling is going to be bad for all the income is produces.

Those two relief wells are being dug through thousands of meters of solid rock. They have deemed it fit that two will be satisfactory. And we are in no place to criticize; I think they're finally taking it seriously.

Just remember the signature!

$20billion is the downpayment. The bill will be a lot bigger than that once the law suits have all been paid and the millions of gallons pissing out each day is all cleaned up. New Orleans restaurants are launching a class action against BP becausthe Oil Spill has caused massive increases in the price of seafood screwing their business. There are lawsuits all over the place and $20billion is a fart in a bath (thanks gekko) once the final bill is dropped through the letterbox.

The fact that "they're finally taking it seriously" may well be an overiding factor when it comes to coughing up time and should maybe act as a clue that they ain't really gonna go back up.

I really do not see Obama "rescuing" BP nor do I see the British Government doing it either. But if you really think they're value buy away.

my butt squirted some man gas

edit: sorry, that was unnecessary input

or output? ROLFLMAOWTFBBQOMGWTFCANUCDISSCERUTMESSUDGE

I'm thinking of using my remaining ISA allowance and buying some...

(Already "bought" some in free spread betting accounts)

Prudence is the key :)

There is a big difference between BP and lehman. One isn't riddled with cancerous sub prime toxic cellulose, and the other controls a significant amount of the world's oil reserves and is highly lucrative. If you're thinking that the market isn't irrational in it's slamming of BP I would have a whole other list of companies that had strong financials with bad PR that came through after a year or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNfT14EmNt0

Dunecat, are you starting to see why following some advice from people here can be a bloody nightmare?

Well done on following your instincts re: BP :)

P.S. I'm targetting 427 region, on basis chart suggests that is a wee bit below low end of fundamental value according to the market, which can certainly value better than me, and I don't really want to be holding single stocks for every last penny...

hmm, so you guys think I should just phone them up and ask them that way? is it common for them to hire tea boys? It's just that where I am in NZ there aren't a vast number of financial institutions, so it might be a bit difficult.

I've been thinking about going to a business school but from what I've learnt the qualifications you gain there aren't the most useful. Is it more just a way to "introduce yourself into the system"?It's taken me about 12ish weeks, but I went from just wanting to be rather rich to knowing how I can achieve it, so I would suppose a few more weeks and I could be very well versed in what I'm doing :D

Are any of you guys familiar with value investing techniques? These are the main strategies I've been following, but I think there are going to be a few hitches when the USD starts to collapse. I was surprised when I learnt that if the US had stayed on the gold standard, instead of removing it in 71, a barrel of oil would cost about $3.60!
But when you think about it, it kinda makes sense. With the increase in US population since then, and the increase of paper money(inflation), oil prices really have gone through the roof. But everybody seems to think that oil is causing costs to rise, not inflation. Consumer prices are falling through the floor compared to gold. I think I'll just slap all my money into gold when I get it, because America can't keep up this much debt.

What do you guys think about it all?

Get the f--- out of here. I started my own business and 13 and even I wasn't this smart.
Either your a child prodigy or your bluffing.

Go back to watching Pokemon dude.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm interested in getting a career in the stock market. For the last 14 weeks I have been studying value investing techniques; making notes and implementing these techniques on companies. I have been doing accounting in highschool for the last 2 years, so I pretty well versed in reading financials of a company, which really helps me scout out a company using value investing techniques.

I do have a lot of opinions on where the American economy is going as well, which is making me very skeptical on investing in other things apart from gold. However, I am quite convinced of the effectiveness of value investing techniques purely from the irrationality of the markets.

I am rather interested in getting a job at a financial institution or somewhere else where I can discuss stock trading and economics, because my friends aren't very interested, and I'm left out in the cold while they're still talking to each other about the latest fps game :( . I just recently managed to convince my Dad to buy some BP shares; from what I saw, a lot of reports were simply fear mongering(I think I helped convince him, but I think he was fairly confident to start with; he'll be investing $33kUS in their shares, if he hasn't bought them already). Which is fine with me actually, the shares dropped 46% in a few weeks and there was an excellent buy opportunity. And I highly doubt the US would let BP go bankrupt over such a trivial matter; they sure as hell didn't let wall street feel the pain from their reckless bets! But I am just 15, so hey.

I'm currently in the process of opening up a stock trading account, but I think it'll just be BP shares(depending on whether they stay cheap) or gold. The reason why I think gold, is because I'm getting really nervous with the state of America. The colossal debt, 10 tril official and 50 trillion in debt obligations really scares me. Not to mention the rate at which dollars are being run out of the presses, and cease of treasury data on how much money is being injected every year. Which in effect means that the govt is lying that inflation is about 2-3% when it is more likely 9-10%. Which in turn means that the govt is devaluing the savings of savers, which the economy needs to dig itself out of this debt, and I don't think China is going to keep funding all this.
800billion US increases in the debt every year can't be healthy, and the quadruple of gold prices since 2006 just goes to further prove my point.

I kinda have this obsession with getting ahead, which differs from that of everybody else in my school. While they're either studying or playing games, I'm learning about the economy or reading about investing, but I'm fairly sure this is what I want to do as a career. If I get good at it now, at this age, I am convinced it will be a significant boon later on. I think that of all the things you can do in life, making copious amounts of money must be the hardest. Not to mention, I love money as well.

I don't want to come across as precocious, but I need a bit of advice on where I should be heading. I'm surprised at the denial and lack of logic that seems to be shown by a lot of economists though, so I think I can get in there somehow and take advantage of this.
What do you guys think I should do? My dad has promised a $12000 grant for me to invest with, so I suppose I can get started there. But I need to go somewhere or get a job somewhere so I can learn the finer aspects of business and get myself some work history, what with the stock market being more who you know than what you know.
I am situated in New Zealand too, so this might be a bit of a hinderence.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Cheers.

One tip....

Stay away from all these online Sexual Predators OR are yo one pretending to be a kid. :LOL::p

If your 15 then I'm Gary Gliter!

Exactly!
Let's be realistic, this is one smart troll which has got all of you by the neck.. How many 15 year olds actually make coherent sentences. Zero from what I see on Facebook.
There are so many flaws to your story it's unbelievable.

:smart:

Also he states he's nervous about America.. umm i live in Canada, and I couldn't give a **** about the USA.. and i live 200km from the border.. so you mr. new zealand who lives 1000s of miles away from USA, why do you care about them so much? Especially at age 15.

There are no many plot holes in your story that I can't believe you have got 12 pages of responses..
Get the f--- out, troll. You ain't fooling me.

let me show you -
One major plothole is you say you have been doing accounting for 2 years.. so let me get this straight.. you started learning accounting in grade 7? half the people in my university cannot comprehend basic accounting, and your telling me you learned it at 13.. at least make your story believable.. sheesh.

then -
''I kinda have this obsession with getting ahead, which differs from that of everybody else in my school. While they're either studying or playing games, I'm learning about the economy or reading about investing''

getting ahead IS school, just because you read a book doesnt mean anyones going to hire you.
GPA 4.0 > GPA 3.0 > GPA 2.0

This message is created by some 26 year old troll .. no doubt.