Audio Patterns

Have you ever used an audio pattern to enter or exit a trade?

• Yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Not sure, I might have...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DeltaGuy

I recently wrote an article Unlocking the Subconscious which dealt with my recognition of an audio pattern (subconsciously) to determine market move.

Has anybody ever used a pure audio pattern along to enter or exit a position? By this I don't mean an alarm that sounds a buy or sell signal but a pattern of sounds that can be interpreted like a chart pattern.

DeltaGuy said:
I recently wrote an article Unlocking the Subconscious which dealt with my recognition of an audio pattern (subconsciously) to determine market move.

Has anybody ever used a pure audio pattern along to enter or exit a position? By this I don't mean an alarm that sounds a buy or sell signal but a pattern of sounds that can be interpreted like a chart pattern.

Hey DeltaGuy, thanks for showing up. Your take on things is a pleasant relief from TCDs and the such like. However, one mention of stealth indicators and I'm out of here!

Yes I have a midi app in VB that plays pitches on every price change. I don't use it any more but it was very useful in my trading learning curve because it showed me that price action is all one needs (I'm talking intraday trading of course!)

Asking how I used it for trading would require a very long answer and would probably be of no help or use what-so-ever. So I will refrain from blocking up the server by posting any Magnum Opuses about my secret system or combat missions into Patagonia.

If you suffer from chart fatigue/overload and consider yourself an auditory type (40% of us are apparently) then IMO it can be a very salutary experience. No disrespect to those who can't tell their G minor from their Mixolydian. In fact my musical ear has been weighted in detriment to my visuals and I have a very annoying green/brown/blue colour blindness!

Also there's a guy who has VB apps that makes various selectable noises every time the bid or the ask is hit - though this is very well done it drove me a bit potty after a while! His app is called TradeTones and is at http://www.z-spider.com/

Go with the flow

rols said:
Hey DeltaGuy, thanks for showing up. Your take on things is a pleasant relief from TCDs and the such like. However, one mention of stealth indicators and I'm out of here!
Rols and DeltaGuy
As Rols pointed out you are a breath of fresh air amongst all those aviation exhaust fumes. This is music to my ears !!
rols said:
Yes I have a midi app in VB that plays pitches on every price change. I don't use it any more but it was very useful in my trading learning curve because it showed me that price action is all one needs (I'm talking intraday trading of course!)

Asking how I used it for trading would require a very long answer and would probably be of no help or use what-so-ever. So I will refrain from blocking up the server by posting any Magnum Opuses about my secret system or combat missions into Patagonia.

If you suffer from chart fatigue/overload and consider yourself an auditory type (40% of us are apparently) then IMO it can be a very salutary experience. No disrespect to those who can't tell their G minor from their Mixolydian. In fact my musical ear has been weighted in detriment to my visuals and I have a very annoying green/brown/blue colour blindness!

Also there's a guy who has VB apps that makes various selectable noises every time the bid or the ask is hit - though this is very well done it drove me a bit potty after a while! His app is called TradeTones and is at http://www.z-spider.com/
Yes - the use of other senses is one of the key elementsin Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP). Each person has their own particular preference with regard to the relevant importance of each sense.

The Open University, for example, use this technique for teaching languages. Material is presented in a variety of ways: video, text, audio. Some learn better using one source rather than another.

A classic technique in note-taking is to make use of pictures or colours e.g. underlining.

So if you are the type who responds best to audio this may well be a useful tool in your set. It certainly frees the mind from the normal methods of chart analysis and this may well kick-start some or your intuitive powers.

Taken to its natural conclusion this will become a flow that you sense, become attuned to and you will know where the wave is taking you.

Charlton

I have previously used a web based product called "Quotezart" ca year 2000. It was linked to Island prices and had a whole lot of sound options eg "heavy rock", "classical" etc. Trades were sounded out with varying pitch, also new highs/lows and excess size at bid/ask, all sorts of engaging noises !

Personally I never made money from it but it was huge amont of fun laying down in the sun, closing my eyes and listening to a cacophony of raunchy guitar riffs, rather than sitting glued to an eye-straining poky little screen !

Like all these things it has to be commercially viable, and they closed down I believe due to lack of subscriptions. Shame.

rog1111

rog1111 said:
I have previously used a web based product called "Quotezart" ca year 2000. It was linked to Island prices and had a whole lot of sound options eg "heavy rock", "classical" etc. Trades were sounded out with varying pitch, also new highs/lows and excess size at bid/ask, all sorts of engaging noises !

Personally I never made money from it but it was huge amont of fun laying down in the sun, closing my eyes and listening to a cacophony of raunchy guitar riffs, rather than sitting glued to an eye-straining poky little screen !

Like all these things it has to be commercially viable, and they closed down I believe due to lack of subscriptions. Shame.

rog1111

A pity about Quotezart especially as it's Wolfies 250th birthday this year. He would have loved the idea of Quotezart. He was fascinated by numbers (google the Musical Dice Game if you're interested), especially the number 5 (Masons and the Magic Flute) and his music is a Fibonacci aficionado's paradise. He would have made a great trader too. With his incredible memory and the ability to compose a new piece of music in his head while copying out a previously composed piece may well have been a useful skill for trading multiple contracts.
Shame he was buried in a paupers grave....

Great comments guys - thanks - I'm learning a ton from you.

Re the last comment - are potential genius composers now day trading and hence the lack of composers now being produced compared to Mozart's era?

DeltaGuy said:
Great comments guys - thanks - I'm learning a ton from you.

Re the last comment - are potential genius composers now day trading and hence the lack of composers now being produced compared to Mozart's era?

That's an interesting question to which I am compelled to venture an answer. There are actually many fine contemporary living composers. It's just that their music is a little more 'challenging' to the ears then the music of Mozart's era!

Actually there is now evidence that Mozart was an obsessive gambler and games of chance were all the rage in Vienna in the early 19th Century. For a man who earned 10,000 Florins a year for his time in Vienna (450 Florins was a respectable wage for a middle class man) he was well known as always being in debt and begging others for money. Fortunately for us there was no Van Tharpe around to advise on money management at the time and hence much of his finest music was composed solely to get funds in order to repay his gambling debts. I remember reading a letter he wrote to his father upon arriving in Linz where he says
I am so short of cash I shall have to compose a symphony. He did and the work is now known as Symphony no.36 in C "The Linz"

Hmm, I've often thought about Quotezart since those heady days - I'm tempted to knock up a quick application to do this. It wouldn't be as fancy as QZ, and most likely it would be rock guitar sounds and an IB feed only. Unique variable pitch sounds for trades, new high, new low, high volume trades - any more suggestions for sounds anyone ?

rog1111

Now you've got me thinking...

1. You assign a bunch of sounds to different identifiable market events as suggested. New high/low of day, perhaps new high/low in past hour, a move of more than N points in X amount of time, more than N volume of X period etc.
2. You take historical tick data and play it back through your market synthesiser and listen to it over and over and pick out audible patterns that you can recognize. With historic data this allows you to speed up the playback and process much more information in a short period of time. (Incidentally I created some Market Profile videos like this for education purposes: Market Profile Videos - but this is just visual and we want to do the opposite - sound.)
3. You once you've identified audio patterns you "stop the clock" at the same point in each audio pattern and note down the time.
4. Once you have a list of times to hand your return to the visual charts and see if those points in time are usable as signals.
5. If they are, you then want to translate that audio pattern into a mathematical signal (indicator) otherwise you will be forced to listen to the sounds all day. i.e. you can get a machine to listen for you if you teach the machine what to listen for.

Comments...?

It really shouldn't be all that difficult, I'll see what I can do. Unfortunately it'll be for IB account holders only, hopefully this doesn't exclude too many ! You may be able to try it using their demo feed, which is no use as a true demo feed, but may allow the sounds to be heard at least.

rog1111

DeltaGuy said:
Now you've got me thinking...

1. You assign a bunch of sounds to different identifiable market events as suggested. New high/low of day, perhaps new high/low in past hour, a move of more than N points in X amount of time, more than N volume of X period etc.
2. You take historical tick data and play it back through your market synthesiser and listen to it over and over and pick out audible patterns that you can recognize. With historic data this allows you to speed up the playback and process much more information in a short period of time. (Incidentally I created some Market Profile videos like this for education purposes: Market Profile Videos - but this is just visual and we want to do the opposite - sound.)
3. You once you've identified audio patterns you "stop the clock" at the same point in each audio pattern and note down the time.
4. Once you have a list of times to hand your return to the visual charts and see if those points in time are usable as signals.
5. If they are, you then want to translate that audio pattern into a mathematical signal (indicator) otherwise you will be forced to listen to the sounds all day. i.e. you can get a machine to listen for you if you teach the machine what to listen for.

Comments...?