Are You Marked for Greatness ?

BSD

Veteren member
Good read that applies to entrepreneurs building companies just as much as to entrepreneurs building a trading career:

"Are You Marked for Greatness?

Fast Company

Internet Capital Group has invested hundreds of millions of dollars in companies that are looking to make their mark in e-commerce. John Hamm evaluates and advises the entrepreneurs who run those companies. Here are the character traits that he looks for.

Almost by definition entrepreneurs make their mark on the world. Building a company that grows and prospers is all about taking the intangible thread of an idea and spinning it into something real and enduring. John Hamm, 40, managing director of operations at Internet Capital Group (ICG), is an expert at scouting for and developing the personal traits that can mean the difference between a breakthrough business that succeeds and an interesting idea that goes nowhere. ICG, the high-profile B2B holding company based in Wayne, Pennsylvania, has invested more than $2 billion in 80 e-commerce startups, including Breakaway Solutions Inc., eCredit.com Inc., and VerticalNet Inc.

ICG's stock-market fortunes have been as volatile as those of the whole Internet sector. The company went public in 1999 at $6 per share, soared to more than $200 per share, and then crashed back to $24. But it's not Hamm's job to understand the shifting moods on Wall Street. His job is to test the mettle of the entrepreneurs whose companies ICG may invest in. A former CEO himself (of Whistle Communications, which was acquired by IBM in June 1999), Hamm has interviewed scores of aspiring CEOs in order to assess their ability to make their mark. Here, he shares his criteria for determining whether a would-be entrepreneur has what it takes to succeed. Do you?
What Are You Committed To?

People don't try any of the stuff that they read about in Fast Company unless they are committed to their work. But there's a skill to getting deeper into what people are committed to. Everybody is committed to something. And track records can tell you a lot more about what people are really committed to, as opposed to what they think they're committed to. What are the nuances of your commitment? What exactly are you willing to risk for that commitment? Are you more committed to the friends you made in business school than you are to your business plan? If it came right down to it, would you sell those guys out if you thought that they might be going in a different direction than you are?

At the end of the day, you have to do a forced ranking of your commitments. For example, I'm often asked to go back to being a CEO. One thing that keeps me from doing that is that I'm not more committed to business than I am to my children. Working 24 hours a day for the next two years could be right for someone else, but that's just not where I am.
What Mark Are You Trying to Make?

Even more important is the question "On behalf of what are you trying to make your mark?" I ask that a lot, and it startles people. People don't want to say, "On behalf of my ego. I want to be a big shot. I want some publicity. I want to be a big deal." Actually, those are all okay answers. But I want to know the real answer. So when people talk about making their mark, I say, "Great, what mark do you want to make? What would it look like? What would it be on behalf of?" And I want really thoughtful answers to those questions. I don't care as much about the content of the answer as I do about the authenticity of it. I'll decide later if it's the right content for the deal at hand. But if it's not thoughtful, if it's not deep, then the content almost doesn't matter.
Are You Tough Enough?

An entrepreneur needs to have an emotional maturity and toughness. Any hard project is guaranteed to stir up a wide range of emotions. Take, for example, running out of money just when your team needs you to keep the faith. On the one hand, you're scared to death. On the other hand, you have to keep a stiff upper lip. I also look for a balance of optimism and grounded reality. Optimism without grounded reality is a dream. Grounded reality without optimism is boring. People who are emotionally tough are always saying, "There's got to be a way." Business is not life-threatening; it's ego-threatening. And the people who are willing to risk their ego are emotionally tough.

A key point: Leaders mostly get tested on emotional toughness. You can farm out intellectual problems to your team, your advisory board, or your board of directors. But you can't subcontract emotional toughness. I don't mean the emotional toughness of Patton being a hard-ass. Toughness also means taking care of people. It means being skilled enough to deal with people and their emotions and realizing that the business is creating as big of an emotional roller coaster for everyone else as it is creating for you. Real leaders aren't afraid to say, "Hey, you guys are scared. I'm scared too."
Are You a Learning Machine?

To succeed as a leader, you have to be a learning machine. You have to let the environment and your team inform you. At the same time, you also need to have a balance between being open to ideas and pushing forward in the face of skepticism. There's one extreme, where lots of people offer lots of different opinions, and the leader winds up utterly confused about what to do next. Then there's the other extreme, where entrepreneurs think that they know it all, and don't allow themselves to be informed and do a course correction. The best entrepreneurs have a strong vision but allow that vision to be affected by other great points of view. I'm interested in people who are committed to an outcome -- and not attached to the ways and means.
Are You Courageous?

Do you have the courage to change course, to stay committed to the outcome, and to do things differently than you anticipated doing them? Are you courageous enough to change the whole plan if you find a better way? When I look at people's commitment, I really want to know what endgame they're committed to. I've seen people who are committed to doing it their way. That doesn't particularly impress me. What are they courageous about? Are they courageous about making the right call? Are they courageous about being wrong? It actually takes a lot of courage to stand up and say, "Hey, the first plan was a bust, guys." If you can't do that, then your ego is in the way of your courage.
Are You Unwilling to Fail?

There's a lot of lore around the words "failure is not an option." That's just a cute phrase. The meaningful way to think about it is, "We said that we were going to make this work, damn it, so how?" If you let yourself think "if'' too much, then you'll create a lot of energy around "if we make it." And when leaders acknowledge failure, they drag a lot of attention away from the "how." A colleague of mine once said that he didn't want any of his employees to worry about "failing elegantly." When I hear an "elegant failure" conversation, I know that people are already trying to make their failure look better -- trying not to get too much mud on their face, to fall gracefully onstage.

Most true entrepreneurs believe, "We're going to win, and if we don't, I don't care." It could be ugly. They could fail miserably. But failure is so uninteresting to them that they don't really care if it's pretty or ugly. Their idea is, "We're going to make it. And we're going to focus on the how. That road's blocked? Let's find another one."

When you absolutely have to land that plane, there will be a runway -- even if you can't see it sometimes. And based on my experience, if you have a highly committed team with a great idea, 99 out of 100 times they will find a runway. It might not be perfect asphalt, but that plane is going to land.

Cheryl Dahle ([email protected]), a Fast Company senior writer, is based in Silicon Valley."

Great post Markus, I guess we all would like to think we fit into this category but I am sure very few, including myself, actually do.

Paul

I wouldn't want to.

There's a lot to be said for being normal and boring.....

.....(yeah yeah I know)

Hi guys, I sort of believe two things about life - well ok, a few more but in this context anyway ;-) Everything we attempt will always be an approximation, perfection isn't achievable, but that notwithstanding it still is our individual Universe that we're inhabiting and that's ours to do with as we see fit, I truly believe that life works in a self-fulfilling prophecy kind of way where we'll end up getting what we order up in pretty much all respects, provided we demonstrate some stamina and patience, not expecting wonders per overnight delivery ;-).

Having said that I believe lot's of people still go wrong and end up somewhere that doesn't work for them because they never sat down to figure out what they really want from life, and where instead they start ordering stuff up from the Universe because of peer pressure or false role models or upbringing or whatever.

For example imo if you want to get rich because you think that's what's needed to be happy you'll end up miserable. If wealth instead is a means to your ends, an instrument to do things you care about, or a way to keep track, and you understand that happiness doesn't come from short term fixes you'll probably end up doing OK.

Well, need to qualify that I think, some short term fixes definitely do OK tho, like a nice bottle of wine or some beers spring to mind :cheesy:

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Absolutely !

Also, the Universe doesn't really care if you believe in it's mechanisms, but whatever your beliefs on the matter may be they'll be realized, you can't if you think you can't, while you can if you think you can :)

The Universe is quite a few light years beyond simple stuff like faking it till you make it, but look how powerful that is already:

"Go Ahead....Smile!

Those that look on the bright side end up healthier and more successful than the rest of us. But guess what? Now researchers have a cheat sheet that can help you become more positive

Attitude adjustment The quickest way to get yourself into the positive-feedback loop that keeps optimists going strong (hard work leads to success, which leads to more self-confidence and a willingness to work even harder, which leads to...) is to act like one. What's more, studies looking at the "fake it till you make it" approach show that it can have a surprisingly strong--and immediate--impact on your emotions. In research at Wake Forest University, for example, scientists asked a group of 50 students to act like extroverts for 15 minutes in a group discussion, even if they didn't feel like it. The more assertive and energetic the students acted, the happier they were.

What's best about this kind of cognitive behavioral change is that it doesn't even require much faith, Segerstrom says. "You don't have to believe an antibiotic is going to work for it to work." The same is true of reaping the benefits of adopting a positive mindset."

But key to real greatness definitely lies in going for what you really want, and that most assuredly does not have to have anything to do with wealth, power or fame. Matter of fact while there's nothing wrong with any of that I'd still say that people who enjoy some or even all of those attributes will always be happy in spite, not because of them.

Absolutely !

Also, the Universe doesn't really care if you believe in it's mechanisms, but whatever your beliefs on the matter may be they'll be realized, you can't if you think you can't, while you can if you think you can :)

The Universe is quite a few light years beyond simple stuff like faking it till you make it, but look how powerful that is already:

"Go Ahead....Smile!

Those that look on the bright side end up healthier and more successful than the rest of us. But guess what? Now researchers have a cheat sheet that can help you become more positive

Attitude adjustment The quickest way to get yourself into the positive-feedback loop that keeps optimists going strong (hard work leads to success, which leads to more self-confidence and a willingness to work even harder, which leads to...) is to act like one. What's more, studies looking at the "fake it till you make it" approach show that it can have a surprisingly strong--and immediate--impact on your emotions. In research at Wake Forest University, for example, scientists asked a group of 50 students to act like extroverts for 15 minutes in a group discussion, even if they didn't feel like it. The more assertive and energetic the students acted, the happier they were.

What's best about this kind of cognitive behavioral change is that it doesn't even require much faith, Segerstrom says. "You don't have to believe an antibiotic is going to work for it to work." The same is true of reaping the benefits of adopting a positive mindset."

But key to real greatness definitely lies in going for what you really want, and that most assuredly does not have to have anything to do with wealth, power or fame. Matter of fact while there's nothing wrong with any of that I'd still say that people who enjoy some or even all of those attributes will always be happy in spite, not because of them.

These are wonderful sentiments but there is a thin line between 'faking it' and self-delusion/denial.

Watch X factor or any number of reality shows and see that this ethos has quite literally gone to young peoples heads. They truly believe that if they wish for and want something enough then they shall receive it.

A lot of trading sites peddle psycho babble as a short cut to becoming a winning trader.

An aquaintance of mine lost his house and his wife after attending one such a course.
He told me he was writing affirmations such as "I am a successful trader" and visualising himself driving a Porche even though everyday his money was draining out of his account.

Talent, knowledge and experience cannot be faked.

Sorry to have to break the news.

There is no Father Christmas.

there is a thin line between 'faking it' and self-delusion/denial.

That's definitely true, no question about that, although I still believe that people get what they want from life, Ed Seykota said that about traders in Market Wizards, but it reaches beyond that to all walks of life imho.

Most people subconsciously want to fail because that's where their true comfort level lies, ie even if they think they want to make a bundle or whatever constitutes success by their book they most definitely don't want to do what's needed to get there, they don't want to accept responsibility and with great determination and creativity they want to evade experiencing failure. The best way to circumvent failure is by never venturing anything, or at least never repeating the experience.

Unfortunately failure is inescapably part and parcel on the path to eventual success, so if you never learn how to handle the downs you'll never surface to where you'll need to deal with the highs.

I'm not the greatest believer in intelligence, talent or hard work as prerequisites for success, but that admittedly is where the self-fulfilling prophecy part of life comes in again making that part different for everybody who sets out on that course, for me personally the most relevant factor behind success comes from accepting total responsibility for everything that happens in my life, never blaming circumstances or others, and, beyond that, great tenacity in striving for my objectives, ie while I fall off of horses just as much as the next person I'll always jump straight back on. Ever since graduating from Uni quite some years ago I've worked for myself, and I've definitely had my share of rough patches on the way, including in my latest venture where for some years now I've chosen trading as what I hope will be my last activity whose purpose is to make a living.

Rols, you mean that the poor chap unfortunately seems to have recurring cancer ?

I certainly don't have all the answers, but I suppose in a way I believe in parallel universes, meaning I'm not sure how much of what's around me is real vs mere window dressing or even if I'm talking to myself here, hmm.

But whatever the case may be concerning that, I personally believe that the main reason we are here is to learn to overcome our fears in order to achieve our objectives in all things large and small, and there definitely isn't anything larger than coping with what he has to cope with, no question about that, and I'm the first to admit that the rule book may very well be the first thing to fly out the window when you're forced to face what will probably be the worst shock in anyones life, receiving a diagnosis of cancer.

Having said that, there is a field out there called psycho-oncology, which basically has seen quite some success in treating cancer when patients were taught methods that allowed them to visualize themselves becoming healthy again, real mind over body stuff.

Had some cancer in the family so have some info on that, unfortunately only in German.

Rols, you mean that the poor chap unfortunately seems to have recurring cancer ?

I certainly don't have all the answers, but I suppose in a way I believe in parallel universes, meaning I'm not sure how much of what's around me is real vs mere window dressing or even if I'm talking to myself here, hmm.

But whatever the case may be concerning that, I personally believe that the main reason we are here is to learn to overcome our fears in order to achieve our objectives in all things large and small, and there definitely isn't anything larger than coping with what he has to cope with, no question about that, and I'm the first to admit that the rule book may very well be the first thing to fly out the window when you're forced to face what will probably be the worst shock in anyones life, receiving a diagnosis of cancer.

Having said that, there is a field out there called psycho-oncology, which basically has seen quite some success in treating cancer when patients were taught methods that allowed them to visualize themselves becoming healthy again, real mind over body stuff.

Had some cancer in the family so have some info on that, unfortunately only in German.

Yes it's Russell Watson, a man who has sold millions of albums and who started off as a kareoke pub singer while working as a bolt cutter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Watson

In the article he mentions that he has had dreams all his life that he wouldn't live beyond 40 and it looks like he may have created his own reality.

Have you read An Arrow Through Chaos? by David Loye.

Basically everything is an illusion and we are but electrons floating in a huge soup of nothingness..

You and T2W only exist as a figment of my imagination.:cheesy:

Wish I could say that about my last trade.....

Last edited:
In the article he mentions that he has had dreams all his life that he wouldn't live beyond 40 and it looks like he may have created his own reality.
Ah OK, now I see.

Have you read An Arrow Through Chaos? by David Loye.

Basically everything is an illusion and we are but electrons floating in a huge soup of nothingness..

You and T2W only exist as a figment of my imagination.:cheesy:

Wish I could say that about my last trade.....

Re the book, no, haven't read that but I will, thanks for the tip.
grinning-smiley-003.gif

Btw, same goes for my last trade too, lol.

Of course I missed a big part of the equation - God.

I have no wish to start off a religious debate but I've always liked the idea of a God while disliking any kind of formalised religion with a passion.

Seems to make sense of a senseless existence.

This caught my eye this morning....

......http://solargeometry.com/Overview.htm

Grand design or Blind Watchmaker?

Answers on a postcard please....:D

Reactions: BSD
but I've always liked the idea of a God while disliking any kind of formalised religion with a passion.
Makes sense.

I believe in what I call the Universe although one could just as well call it God, however the way I see it though is that I don't believe in some higher entity overseeing us mere mortals with carrot and stick, meting out punishment or doling out rewards, depending on the situation.

I think instead all of us collectively are part of the whole and the whole, I'm the microcosm, and the Universe is the macrocosm.

"The macrocosm is as the microcosm, and vice versa; within each lies the other, and through understanding one (which would normally be oneself first ;-)) you can understand the other."

That forms the basis for the idea that if we only learn to trust in the powers that the Universe has given us we can overcome all obstacles small and large that form the path of life. Come to that that's a basic underlying element in Christianity too:

"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you."

That said I also believe that all formalised religions with their respective fundamentalist whackos like the Bushes or Bin Ladens of this world, all those in other words whose main aim in life isn't living their own lives in a positive way but instead making a career of intolerance and judging others and dictating them what to do or not do, are the cause of some of histories biggest nightmares and worst bloodshed.