An alternative to Google

silviaic

Hi Guys,

Well, I am not happy at all with Google's policy in China. I spent precious trading hours trying to find out an alternative (now I'm still wasting my time trying to find an alternative to my yahoo! e-mail address, if you know of one please let me know...)
Finally I received a satisfactory response from Ask Jeeves (or Teoma, they're the same company). So for those of you who where happy Google customers because you adhered to their freedom of information policy, the option is www.teoma.com It also has a toolbar, which I'm using and it's pretty good. I attach the message I sent and their reply.

Good luck,

Silvia.

(What follows is the feedback to my request)

Subject
Your feedback message to Ask Jeeves

Discussion Thread
Response (V.H.D) 01/25/2006 07:35 PM
Thank you for contacting us regarding this matter. Ask Jeeves does not have a search engine in China therefore we are not mandated by the laws that govern that country. Our search technology analyzes the Web as it naturally occurs - in its subject-specific communities - to determine which sites are most relevant and displays the information as such, in an unbiased, apolitical format.

(And this is the message I sent)
Customer 01/25/2006 01:59 PM
Hi,

I'd like to know what your position is respect to freedom of
information. I used to use Google as my main search engine, but due to
their new policy supporting the censorship carried on by the Chinese
goverment, I'm looking for an alternative.
Thanks a lot,

Silvia.

yea - at least they are in china - giving them some information as opposed to no information like ask jeeves.

anyway, its supposed to be fairly simple for the chinese to get info outside their firewall.

well done for standing up for your beliefs and trying to do something about it though.

(save the lobster!!!)