Aggressive growth

trendie

Legendary member
As an alternative to ODTs thread about trading with size, I offer my own simplistic attempt as a starting point for other ideas.

Firstly, it is anathema to me to add to a losing trade, learnt from experience and at great expense.
If a loss occurs because of poor entry, or random loss, trading bigger to recover may make sense. However, if a loss is a symptom of changing market condition or volatility, ploughing in with increasing size is short cut to a blown account.
Also, as size increases, what you end up doing is trying to break even, at increasing cost. At some point, you are risking exponentially, but anticipating a fixed break even. The aggregate risk:reward is increasing madness.
For example, if you have a 50/50 possibility, and you double on a loss, each trade increases risk of loss, but your nett return remains same. At the point you are risking 16x (aggregate loss 31x), your nett return on a win is still 1x. If somebody offered you a risk:reward for 31:1 straight off, you'd turn it down.

Anyway, I am rambling.

If you had an account of 100x, you trade normal 1%, or 1x, then with a nett positive edge, wait for your account to become 130x.

Once you have gained 30x, you can interpret this as: 10 trades at 2x and 10 trades at 1x.
What this means is, you can leverage your gains, and have "bought" yoursefl 20 FREE trades before dropping to where you started.

At this point, you can trade 2x. You can afford 10 losses at 2x (20x).
Then, drop back to 1x, and can afford 10 losses at 1x.
(total 30x).

After the account is growing at 2x, if total gains result in 160x, you can scale up again.

You can now afford 30 consecutive losses before dropping to your starting point.

You can trade at 3x for 10 trades (30x), another 10 trades at 2x(20x) and 10 trades at 1x.
You would need to lose 30 consecutive trades to get back to break-even.

I am using 10 trades as a generic idea. If you system allows for 15 consecutive losses before alarm bells ring, then alter the maths to account for it.

Dont scale up too soon, otherwise you run the risk of bouncing between different levels. EG, dont scale up every 3 trades, as random spread of losses and wins undermines the point of the scaling.

The next step would be to trade 3x until you gain another 40x. (about 14 nett winning trades).
You now have 100x, ie, doubled the account.

You now have the buffer, ie, "bought" yoursefl 40 consecutive losses to break even.
(10 trades at 4x (40x), 10 at 3x (30x), 10 at 2x(20x) and 10 at 1x(10x), total 100x)
But, here on, you are trading 4x after doubling the account.

I offer this as a starting point for aggressive account growth.
The principle being;
NOT to add to losses;
to leverage your existing gains to accelerate the account;
using the specifics of your own win/loss ratio to determine the scale up size (ie, how many trades needed to drop back a size)
add only when winning
scale back when losing
conserve your initial capital.

have a great bank holiday weekend.

Last edited:
excellent! I'd give it a five :smart: :smart: :smart: :smart: :smart:

Any idea about how best to determine the 'optimum' number of buffer trades? I know it depends on the method/strategy under consideration, just trying to squeeze more juice..

I've not backtested adding to a losing position, but adding to a winning position can certainly increase your returns (pyramiding). Hmmm, wasn't there another thread once where some guy said that all pyramid trades end in disaster?

Anyway, just going by what I've read about successful traders (Market Wizards, etc) I've NEVER seen a recommendation to add to losing trades ("improving your average") so I've steered clear of that.

I've not backtested adding to a losing position, but adding to a winning position can certainly increase your returns (pyramiding). Hmmm, wasn't there another thread once where some guy said that all pyramid trades end in disaster?

Somewhere or other, there is a thread by TD called something like "How to make really BIG money" or something like that.

That is basically about pyramiding, or TD's take on it (not strictly pyramidding, as I recall, but definitely compounding, and making the most of your account; TD doesn't do things by halves :)

I probably didn't understand it all at the time, but it was very interesting and worth checking out. As with many things, a lot easier said than done I think.

The usual format for pyramiding is, once in the position, add another unit every time the rate moves 1 ATR in your favour. The Turtle method pyramids 3 times, i.e. you can end up with 1+3 = 4 units. There's nothing to say you can't just pyramid once, or even five times if you so wish. I've found that one pyramid doesn't give you enough juice, whereas 5 pyramids just doesn't perform that well. Either 2 or 3 pyramids seems to work well in backtesting.

In a way, that's the astonishing thing about traders like Donchian and Richard Dennis, they worked all this stuff out in a time when computing power was either non-existent or rudimentary. A process which might run in 10 seconds on Amibroker would have taken Dennis a day to calculate, and maybe a week (who knows) for Donchian.

I did this on the FTSE last Thursday for dramatic results. One of my accounts had only £35 in it. I went short at .50 per point as soon as I hit £30 profit I added another .50 per point and so on and so on. I ended up with over 1,000. I cannot tell you just how satisfying it is to add to a winning position. The only thing you look at is do I have enough for my new stake? Now what if the position moves against me? I actually let myself get a margin call.

I have tried this before after getting hit hard by averaging down.

This is the thread I was thinking about (I think). Seems it was not Trader_Dante's thread, but here is one of his posts to that thread, probably the one I was thinking about:-

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/pla...nt/38980-how-make-big-money-3.html#post504994

This is just an excerpt:
trader_dante said:
Take Warren Buffet now. In 1962, Buffet was watching American Express. In a scandal involving one of AE's clients, its shares fell from $65 to $35 almost overnight. Buffet then made the decision to put 40% of his total assets ($13m) into AE stock. Over the next two years the shares tripled and he and his partners netted $20m in profit.

40% risk! And we have 2-3% per trade touted as the maximum amount that anyone should risk.

Well, as another poster pointed out, for every JL (who indeed went bankrupt) there are a whole list of failures BUT it seems to me that the people who made it big (regardless of whether they blew up later on) all made it taking big risk.

Dan Zanger (popularised as one of the greatest stock traders of our time - and indeed boasting incredible returns on capital) also uses ridiculous leverage to achieve his results. In other words, when the trade lines up, he goes in big.

But the one thing I would say is that you can do it without taking big risk to your capital base as LMC said above but rather by risking the markets money.

There's no question that for BIG reward you need to take BIG risk. And dare I say it, you do need some luck. Intelligence + no luck = frustration.

Buffett has taken some big risk in his time; the ability to withstand swings in equity is probably what separates the men from the boys. Remember his Goldman trade? A no-brainer now, but at the time it looked seriously dodgy for a while.