17, Trading, looking for advice

cfdtrader

Hi,

Well... before I start, I'd like to say I'm not trying to be aggressive with this post, so hopefully nobody will interpret it that way... end of disclaimer. :)

Basically, I've been trading CFDs for over a year now with a proper account, and no... I'm not here to discuss how I achieved this at the age of 17, but the short of it is that currently I trade soley US equities, although currently I trade a single equity; namely GOOG, with a few hundred shares per order, and I do this daytrading GOOG.

am I up against the market overall? you bet I am :)
when did I last have a losing day? many months ago...

OK, that's my background (and two lines of trumpet-blowing); what I'd really like to do is ask what's out there in the trading world that I can get into in terms of jobs in the financial market, because as you can guess, right now I'm quite happy to trade for myself making the cash I'm making, no I'm not gambling the cash, I have a system, my mental health (psychology) is relatively good when I get down to the nitty gritty and basically I'm interested to find out what I could possibly plan for my future that would be more lucrative than what I'm doing right now.

well... that's about it really, thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and/or respond to my post :)

dont give us some entries , stops and targets

otherwise u migth enhance your credibility

pssonice said:

Is it my imagination pssonice, or do you have an annoying habbit of hijacking other peoples posts/threads with completely irrelevant comments that don't make sense?
Sorry pssonice, but you've done it to my threads/posts at least twice now in the last week and it can really have the effect of killing a good subject, for no valid reason.......................why bother? surely its a waste of your time and the time of other members reading such comments?
:rolleyes: :(
:confused:

Last edited:
HI cfdtrader - lots of info in the General Career Advice section about, well, general career advice, and there's been a couple of questions like yours asked recently - suggest you roll your sleeves up and start digging through the website: it's all on here.

theis forum is quiet different from all others ,what I ve seen so far

the administrator is acting wo agression, so do I.
I m missing something giving me credibility to other members.
that s exactly what I m looking for :
credibility can be given by entering full entries (open, stop, target, lifetime of your position)

up til now I couldnt animate any1 offering the feature credibilty.

cfdtrader said:
what's out there in the trading world that I can get into in terms of jobs in the financial market, because as you can guess, right now I'm quite happy to trade for myself making the cash I'm making, no I'm not gambling the cash, I have a system, my mental health (psychology) is relatively good when I get down to the nitty gritty and basically I'm interested to find out what I could possibly plan for my future that would be more lucrative than what I'm doing right now.

take your trading statements and put them in a folder, make a summary of the numbers: ie: info like total net profits, total gross losses, average trade value, profit factor and max drawdown etc.

Then start phoning up the prop shops and looking for a backed deal with a decent % spilt of profits in your favour.

If any of the firms like your track record and back you, then benefits to you are greatly increased opportunity to trade larger size and no risk to your own capital. If leverage doesnt accelerate your earning power then nothing will.

If it seems to be working for you im not sure you would like to be told what to do by someone (limits, strategies and stuff).

But then, its nice to have a safety net (possibily a salary), as well as lower costs, such as roundtrips and good connection speeds.

Importantly, its always nice to learn from better traders.

pssonice said:

I'm sorry, you must have me mistaken for somebody who wants to help you trade.

I posted this topic for career advice; not to prove myself to you, or anybody else... but if for some reason I've instilled a sense of bitterness in you, then I make no apologies and suggest you exercise a little more self-control in future.

Moving back to the topic at hand however:

To add another point; in case you were wondering, the capital I got was from my parents and they give me a percentage of all our profits, although the percentage varies depending on whether we want to go on holiday or buy something imminently... which I'm happy enough with.

Really I just want to know what's out there that could be available to me once I go it alone as it were.

P.S. sorry to make all you folks read that crappy initial post from me; my fault for just submitting it without checking the sentence flow!

IMHO you should go to uni, get a degree, get a masters and then consider the matter.

While you may be as mentally agile now as you will be then there is no substitute for a real education.

I was in your position at 17 having traded £500 into just over £30k. I thought I knew it all and was not planning on going to uni. For a number of reasons I ended up doing so and the degrees I left with were worth far more to me than the £100k that I graduated with from trading and investing.

As above - go to uni just in case - even traders who start out well can screw up at some point so it would be silly not to have a back up in place + uni is great fun.

Though since you're 17 you might as well contact some arcades/prop firms and ask them if you can do some work experience - whether you spend a week or two making coffee and watching others trade or whether they let you have a couple of weeks on a simulator it will still be worth it.

You're in a great position at the moment as you're only 17 so you'll have plenty of time to take a look at prop firms and also, if you go to uni, do an internship in an investment bank.