Best Thread The Options edge (Writing Vs Buying)

andycan said:
How many of you go along with d998 comments.
I am trying to figure out how you guys think and what you guys believe to be the TRUTH !!
now this should be interesting.

In my experience (been in the City since '85)

in the short term, option buyers lose, it's difficult enough trying to predict direction let alone direction within a finite time frame and you're buying a depreciating asset.

in the long term, option writers (pretty much without exception, and I'm including market makers here) get blown out of the water on those 7+ standard deviation extreme moves.

grantx said:
CYOF,

Put buyer = -70 (loss)
Put seller = 70 (gain)

At expiry, put = strike - underlying or zero. Or is there something more?

Grant.

Thank you Grant, for your reply.

Yes, there is something more. But, first we need to see more reply to my trade and my posts from the others. Profitaker, do you want want add your comments in relation to my posts at this point in time, or are you just happy to lurk in the background?

The more that join in the debate, the more interesting it will get :idea:

A Dashing Blade said:
Huh, unless I'm mistaken, you're implying that you know stuff that option market makers with getting on for 25 years experience don't? ?

You are correct Dblade. You also should know that some market makers are members of
the ELITE s CLUB.

We do not tell lies to each other :idea:

We only tell each other THE TRUTH at the Elite s club. We have no reasons for to lie about anything.

Now, there are 4 categories of R/R [risk reward] to options trading.

Do you know what they are?

Also, this question is open to all 65,000 members here at T2W.

Regards,

A Dashing Blade said:
Taken at face value and unless it's a trick question . . .

Writer takes 120 in, pays out 50 at expiry so makes profit of 70 (you can argue the toss about the percentage profit made).
No risk of assignment as they're european style.
I'm unsure as to how margin requirements work in ftse these days but would imagine that, net net, there's a bit of positive investment income to come if the margin is able to be funded by money market instruments.

Buyer pays 120, recoups 50 so is down 70

Other things to consider . . .
What the market did between taking the position and expiry and how that imapcts margin funding (ie market could have seriously dumped out so increasing required margin, may have dumped out so far that margin rules were changed - something I've seen twice in my careeer -).

Dblade, you initially asked me to give the strikes and expiry levels and the prices, which I have done. Now you are asking silly questions that has nothing to do with expiry of the trade. Your other questions are also off topic to this thread. You can start a new thread on those topics if you wish, but for the purpose of learning, we must stick to the subject matter in question. Socrates has already stated this, so please, lets try harder the next time.

Regards,

CYOF said:

Regards,

Someone who thought about things in a very simplistic and basic way would probably say:

Limited Loss / Limited gains.

Limited Loss / Unlimited gains.

Unlimited Loss / Limited gains.

Unlimited Loss / Unlimited gains

Its a reasonable starting point, to get your thoughts in order, but thats all it is. Im sure most participating in this debate are light years beyond thginking in such simplistic terms. :devilish:

regards
zup

Last edited:
CYOF said:
You are correct Dblade. You also should know that some market makers are members of
the ELITE s CLUB.

We do not tell lies to each other :idea:

We only tell each other THE TRUTH at the Elite s club. We have no reasons for to lie about anything.

Regards,

Righty ho mate :rolleyes:

CYOF said:
Dblade, you initially asked me to give the strikes and expiry levels and the prices, which I have done. Now you are asking silly questions that has nothing to do with expiry of the trade.

Er, correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no questions (implicit or explicit) in the reply I gave ??

Edited to add : the bit about what the market did between trade & expiry was simply something to consider vis a vis risk & margin requirements

Edited to add 2 : my current role is somewhere between Quant, IT and trader pricing the exotic end of the EM (local currency - you try creating a Khazakstan swaps curve!) bond and associated derivative markets for a large IB. Wrt FTSE options, I cut my derivatives teeth on them for 5 years in the mid/late 80's.
Therefore I do consider that I know of what I speak.
Furthermore, I have little time for peeps who answer questions with a question, simply state what you think and why you think that. Less of the cryptic comments please, you're simply coming accross as extremely arrogant.

Last edited:
zupcon said:
Someone who thought about things in a very simplistic and basic way would probably say:

Limited Loss / Limited gains.

Limited Loss / Unlimited gains.

Unlimited Loss / Limited gains.

Unlimited Loss / Unlimited gains

Its a reasonable starting point, to get your thoughts in order, but thats all it is. Im sure most participating in this debate are light years beyond thginking in such simplistic terms. :devilish:

regards
zup

Well Zu, it just so happens that that was also my initial thoughts.

Lets see if we are proven correct.

zupcon said:

1. Limited Loss / Limited gains.

2. Limited Loss / Unlimited gains.

3. Unlimited Loss / Limited gains.

4. Unlimited Loss / Unlimited gains

regards
zup

And to keep the debate going Zu, I will ask a few more questions, as follows:

Question No.1

Which of the above 4 categories would you chose?

Question No.2

Which one do you think is the most used by options traders?

Question No.3

Which one do you think will make the most money, consistently?

All comments / questions are welcome.You will be surprised how many people make the wrong choice.

PLEASE MAKE YOUR CHOICE / SELECTION KNOWN. You don’t need to give reasons for your choice/selection. This is just an exercise to see how the majority and the minority think.

You will ALL be surprised as to the correct choice. OVER 80% of options traders make the WRONG choice. Does anyone know Why?

Many people that trade options are not aware of these 4 choices, but, they chose to trade with the very little knowledge they have.

So Zu, since you got all 4 correct, perhaps you can be the first to make a reply to this post.

Profitaker, where are you?

I thought that you had something to offer, speak up man, don't be shy, for we may all learn something of real value here.

Regards,

Last edited:
CYOF said:
And to keep the debate going Zu, I will ask a few more questions, as follows:

Question No.1

Which of the above 4 categories would you chose?

Question No.2

Which one do you think is the most used by options traders?

Question No.3

Which one do you think will make the most money, consistently?

All comments / questions are welcome.You will be surprised how many people make the wrong choice.

PLEASE MAKE YOUR CHOICE / SELECTION KNOWN. You don’t need to give reasons for
your choice/selection. This is just an exercise to see how the majority and the minority think.

You will ALL be surprised as to the correct choice. OVER 80% of options traders make the WRONG choice. Does anyone know Why?

Many people that trade options are not aware of these 4 choices, but, they chose to trade with the very little knowledge they have.

So Zu, since you got all 4 correct, perhaps you can be the first to make a reply to this post.

Profitaker, where are you?

I thought that you had something to offer, speak up man, don't be shy, for we may all learn something of real value here.

Regards,

Its pretty obvious where your leading with this, and for the record I have to say that its rather appalling behaviour to hijack a thread, take it off topic, then completely refuse to engage in any debate on the basis that you claim to be breaking the rules of an elite club.

Im sure that many here will assume that your using your membership of S3.4 as rather a lame excuse to avoid answering those rather awkward questions where you suddenly feel a little out of your depth.

If you where actually prepared to engage in an intelligent argument this could have the makings of a decent thought provoking thread.

Ive said it before, and I'll say it again I dont trade options so my thoughts are totally inconsequential, and should be of interest to no one. I will however answer your questions.

Personally if I where attempting to devise an option strategy Id probably be tempted to focus on option 3, but with a very clear understanding of the risk management issues. Personally I'm of the opinion (based on 10 minutes thinking) that there are only 2 ways to gain an edge in options trading. Firstly, to gain an edge by identifying mis priced options, and this opens up a whole can of worms that I'm not qualified to comment on, and would involve me going head to head with the brightest and largest competitors in the business. Its probably achievable, but if all you want to do is make money, the whole derivatives thing adds a layer of unnecessary complexity.

The second method of gaining an edge, is by using the strategies that your advocating. I (like the majority for I am indeed a stupid fool) believe that the writer has no inherent edge over the buyer from a purely mathematical perspective. It is possible to obtain an edge, but that edge, is obtained through appropriate risk management.

Edge is a complex subject, and perhaps goes a little further than just basic mathematics, for example the psychological benefits of high win rates shouldn't be underestimated, and might be considered a component part of a traders "edge", writing may provide you with greater flexibility, you may have a closer relationship with your broker, plus a million and other little things that all add up to form part of an edge, but thats a matter best discussed elsewhere.

I suspect most option traders would opt for option 2. Before commenting further on this, one thing that I would be interested to know is what percentage of the options market is comprised of speculative traders, and what percentage are using these instruments simply to hedge. If Im buying options as a form of low cost insurance, then my perspective on an option expiring worthless will be very different to someone trading on a purely speculative basis. I think this is quite an important point that you've failed to recognise, and any statistics quoted need to be examined in this particular light.

With respect to which makes money consistently, its quite obvious, but as 1001 people have already pointed out, time after time, focussing on the rewards, without a complete and detailed understanding of risk is rather irresponsible.

I apologise to any options traders reading my grossly simplistic opinions, and would appreciate comments from those who actually understand options, such as Grant, A Dashing Blade or PT. Perhaps then I and others might actually learn something from the exercise.

regards
xup

zupcon said:
. . . and for the record I have to say that its rather appalling behaviour to hijack a thread, take it off topic, then completely refuse to engage in any debate on the basis that you claim to be breaking the rules of an elite club.

Im sure that many here will assume that your using your membership of S3.4 as rather a lame excuse to avoid answering those rather awkward questions where you suddenly feel a little out of your depth.

If you where actually prepared to engage in an intelligent argument this could have the makings of a decent thought provoking thread.

. . .

Edge is a complex subject, and perhaps goes a little further than just basic mathematics, for example the psychological benefits of high win rates shouldn't be underestimated, and might be considered a component part of a traders "edge", writing may provide you with greater flexibility, you may have a closer relationship with your broker, plus a million and other little things that all add up to form part of an edge, but thats a matter best discussed elsewhere.
. . .

With respect to which makes money consistently, its quite obvious, but as 1001 people have already pointed out, time after time, focussing on the rewards, without a complete and detailed understanding of risk is rather irresponsible.

. . .

Top post! 100% on the nose.

A Dashing Blade said:
In my experience (been in the City since '85)

in the short term, option buyers lose, it's difficult enough trying to predict direction let alone direction within a finite time frame and you're buying a depreciating asset.

in the long term, option writers (pretty much without exception, and I'm including market makers here) get blown out of the water on those 7+ standard deviation extreme moves.

Firstly Dblade, I would say that you are 50% correct in saying that the Option Writers has the EDGE short term.

I would also say that Option writers have the EDGE at ALL TIMES, period!

But, as from my readings here, it appears that many here would argue with you.

For instance, Profitaker says that neither has the edge, long or short term :eek:

Secondly, we have no facts to support the theory that in the long term, Option writers will get “blown out of the water”, well, facts for those who trade options correctly, that is, for if someone writes an Option and does not know what they are doing, not only will they get blown out of the water, they will get blasted into space.

This leads me on to the next very important aspect for discussion, which, again I thought would have been recognised as common sense. What about HEDGING trades to minimise loss and lock in profits – remember my little P&L chart :idea:

How many types of hedging strategies are there, and how many do you know of?

How do they ACTUALLY work, not theoretically work. In the Elite 3.4S club, they just happen to use ones that ACTUALLY work, my my, what a big surprise, common sense is actually taken on board :idea:

I take it you don’t trade Options because you don’t know when those “7+ standard deviation extreme moves" are going to blast one into space. They could happen tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, or next week? So, it’s best NOT to trade at all, FOR SOME, don’t you think?

Whilst we are on the subject of trading, I asked previously:

"Which of the Risk / Reward profiles do Option traders use most".

Where is everyone gone?

Is it possible that those who thought they knew something, might have now realised, that they actually know nothing.

I told you all, several times before, that I ACTUALLY BELIEVE that I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ANYTHING.

You might all do yourselves a great justice if you all adopt the same type of thinking. :idea:

Let me see what is coming out now - and Profitaker, where are you, AGAIN :rolleyes:

Show your face and come to the help of your fellow traders, show then that you know exactly what Option trading is all about.

This is your thread NO, and you did accuse me of hijacking it, but all I am doing is speaking THE TRUTH, tha same as I always do. :idea:

zupcon said:
Its pretty obvious where your leading with this, and for the record I have to say that its rather appalling behaviour to hijack a thread, take it off topic, then completely refuse to engage in any debate on the basis that you claim to be breaking the rules of an elite club.

Ive said it before, and I'll say it again I dont trade options so my thoughts are totally inconsequential, and should be of interest to no one. I will however answer your questions.

Personally if I where attempting to devise an option strategy Id probably be tempted to focus on option 3, but with a very clear understanding of the risk management issues. Personally I'm of the opinion (based on 10 minutes thinking) that there are only 2 ways to gain an edge in options trading. Firstly, to gain an edge by identifying mis priced options, and this opens up a whole can of worms that I'm not qualified to comment on, and would involve me going head to head with the brightest and largest competitors in the business. Its probably achievable, but if all you want to do is make money, the whole derivatives thing adds a layer of unnecessary complexity.

The second method of gaining an edge, is by using the strategies that your advocating. I (like the majority for I am indeed a stupid fool) believe that the writer has no inherent edge over the buyer from a purely mathematical perspective. It is possible to obtain an edge, but that edge, is obtained through appropriate risk management.

I suspect most option traders would opt for option 2. Before commenting further on this, one thing that I would be interested to know is what percentage of the options market is comprised of speculative traders, and what percentage are using these instruments simply to hedge. If Im buying options as a form of low cost insurance, then my perspective on an option expiring worthless will be very different to someone trading on a purely speculative basis. I think this is quite an important point that you've failed to recognise, and any statistics quoted need to be examined in this particular light.

I apologise to any options traders reading my grossly simplistic opinions, and would appreciate comments from those who actually understand options, such as Grant, A Dashing Blade or PT. Perhaps then I and others might actually learn something from the exercise.

regards
xup

You see Zu, I have in the past presented many facts about trading Stocks, and during that time I also briefly mentioned that I have an interest in Commodity & Index Options, as well as some Futures Contracts.

Now, here I am again, stating some FACTS, and again, for some unknown reason, many attack with silly remarks like I know nothing about what I am talking about.

Remember, and I will state it again, right now, for the umpteen zillionth time, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ANYTHING.

But, I am very good at recognising FACTUAL INFORMATION when I see it, and the reason I am so good at doing this, well, it is because of the way I think - remember that little thread that you all got relegated to the position of "absolutely nothing to do with trading", what a JOKE.

It goes something like this:

Ask and you shall receive.

But, I cant give more than I'm allowed to give. Unfortunately I cant read all of your minds. I have answered more questions than most, I think, and I have also put more questions than most!

The thread title is "Options edge (Writing Vs Buying)".

I can only presume that Profitaker means trading options for gains purposes - btw, is he back yet, for he seems to have disappeared from the face of the planet, maybe he was blasted into space by the "7+ standard deviation extreme move" :cheesy: I dont think this thread is for options hedging purposes. Oh, and thanks for bringing up this very important point we are now discussing and debating.

Sorry to hear you know very little on Options but, without asking you are never going to get far in derivative trading. I have to keep to the rules imposed by Elite 3.4s club, as the penalties are severe - ranging from 1 month to 6 month ban, plus there are fines that go as high as £5K, and if the fines are not paid in one month, my membership is cancelled for life.

So, you see I'm risking much with my posts on here. The object of this exercise is to establish how big is the majority and how small is the minority, and more importantly, how they think. Most dont like to think because they use others to think for them. The cycle continues in all markets, it is the same no matter where you go, so you must speak with those that know best - no other way, for if you rely on learning from textbooks only, well, need I say anymore at this stage!

Regards,

CYOF said:
Let me ask some questions of you d998,
Question No.1
Will all authors of options books will tell you the TRUE figures of the losing majority?
Question No.2
Do you believe for every winner there has to be a loser in Options. If that’s the case than each year there will be no minority or majority. Why then, are people trying to improve their trading if the final results will 50-50 winners and losers?
Question No.3
10 people walk into a betting shop. We don’t know how much cash they each have in their pocket. But, only 2 people come out winning a total of £500 between them. How many losers and winners are the in this scenario?
Question No.4
Out of every 100 accounts that are opened in Options / Futures trading, HOW MANY of the 100 accounts will go bust in first 2 years, do you think?
Hint: Ask a broker and he will tell you the truth in confidence, and then come and share that news with us.

Regards,

CYOF

You have made an assumption that in my previous post I was referring to traders.
This is incorrect.
I was in point of fact referring to the contracts.
For every winning contract bought/sold, there will be a matching loss making contract bought/sold.

Therefore, the remainder of your post, and succeeding questions are irrelevant.

The trading of Options for profit, far exceeds the simple question of; should I buy, or sell?
This naive and simplistic quantification process removes the inherent flexibility of Options trading that differentiates them from purely directional instruments, as common stock, or Futures.

It is the quantifiable variety of risk, that can be matched to the qualitative market risk, that makes Option trading both a joy and source of frustration.

jog on
d998

There's something seriously wrong with you .....why do you feel the need to continually draw attention to yourself and the other members of S CLUB 7 .....dum de dum ...back to work

CYOF said:
Firstly Dblade, I would say that you are 50% correct in saying that the Option Writers has the EDGE short term.

I would also say that Option writers have the EDGE at ALL TIMES, period!

. . .

Secondly, we have no facts to support the theory that in the long term, Option writers will get “blown out of the water”, well, facts for those who trade options correctly, that is, for if someone writes an Option and does not know what they are doing, not only will they get blown out of the water, they will get blasted into space.

Whatever, many views make a market. I'm just stating what I've observed in 21 years in the City.

CYOF said:
This leads me on to the next very important aspect for discussion, which, again I thought would have been recognised as common sense. What about HEDGING trades to minimise loss and lock in profits – remember my little P&L chart :idea:

How many types of hedging strategies are there, and how many do you know of?

How do they ACTUALLY work, not theoretically work. In the Elite 3.4S club, they just happen to use ones that ACTUALLY work, my my, what a big surprise, common sense is actually taken on board :idea:

You see, there you go gain, lecturing us like we're little kids.

Here's an idea, why don't you kick off by stating how many types of hedging strategies YOU THINK THERE ARE, I'm sure they're so complicated :rolleyes: that even the trader/quants I work with have never thought of them before and will be sooooooo impressed they'll be queuing up to join Elite 3.4S (whatever that is)

CYOF said:
I take it you don’t trade Options because you don’t know when those “7+ standard deviation extreme moves" are going to blast one into space. They could happen tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, or next week? So, it’s best NOT to trade at all, FOR SOME, don’t you think?

As I stated, I spent 5 years trading ftse. Actually, iirc, the '87 crash (remember that? I do, very very vividly) was a 20+ SD move. I also remember Grey Monaday when Yeltsin took over and the exchanges upped margin requirements and also when the Euro style options margin rules were dramatically changed (in 91/2??) and the reason why (no, I'm not talking about the move to spam margining)

People trade what they trade (untill they blow out)

PS : Anyone else geeting the feeling that Bulldozer is borrowing someones login details??

I have to keep to the rules imposed by Elite 3.4s club, as the penalties are severe - ranging from 1 month to 6 month ban, plus there are fines that go as high as £5K, and if the fines are not paid in one month, my membership is cancelled for life.

I have only one simple question;
Am I conversing with someone who is sane, or have you completely lost the plot?

jog on
d998

Oh well, it was to be expected, but then again, they know what the Paddys are like :LOL:

I told you all, agian and again, that I ACTUALLY BELIEVE that I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ANYTHING.

Its for this reason I have let go of my BIG EGO and joined the Elite club over 2 years ago. Now I'm with the sharks and NO longer with the petty fish. I have just received a phone call from a committee member to say that some of my posts are on border line of breaching the club rules. So, I now have to be careful and not get banned, or fined, just to help some ungrateful bunch of children, whom, even after been showing the path, very clearly, many times, will not even contemplate taking a small stroll, let alone a long walk :eek: