Trading the markets with Alan Rich.

smbtnt said:
Swing contenders:

HANS and JOYG have served me well in the past year.

Also currently active in ISRG, RACK, ZOLT, PEIX, SHLD and WYNN.

Interesting post from another forum:

STKL (Interesting Ethanol Technology)
ADM (Largest Ethanol Producer in US)
GPRE (Devopemental Stage Ethanol Producer from Waste)
CPO (A way to play corn price movements)
ANDE (A way to play corn storage)
HRID (Devopemental Stage Ethanol Producer from Waste)
MGPI (Middle America Ethanol Play good Distribution)

Just to add a few to your list of XTHN, PEIX

Remember Ethanol distribution is KEY....You can't pipe it so you better have a river to barge it.....This is why I like MGPI best..!!!

Hey BUSH just said the word hydrogen this weekend......QTWW, FCEL, MCEL, HYGS, ASRNF.ob, PFCE.ob, ARGY.ob

Other Alternative (Other Green Friendly plays) ----MDTL, RTK, BLDP, CPST, GLW, GE, TWP, ESLR, DSTI, SPIR, BCON, STP, PLUG, ENER, SPWR, DESC, FNPR.ob, MMGW.ob, XSNX.ob

Other Uranium Plays---CCJ, USU, USEG, URME.ob, URME.ob

THE BEST OIL SANDS PLAY=====CWPC.ob (2200% Return so far)

Other Energy Plays Worth Mentioning (NON OIL)---GVP, USEY, EPG, SSL, IHDRE.ob,

COAL Plays worth mentioning---BTU, ACI, YZC, MEE, FDG, CNX, FCL, ANR, ARLP, JRCC, PVR, NCOC, BPG, NRP, ICO, WLB, KFX, HW, NRP, QMMG.ob, PVCMF.ob, CEIW.ob, CALB.pk

Naz said:
Finding potential hot stocks.

For day trading this is one reason i started my site.The idea is i do all the work and find them, so all the members do is just switch on and look at my list for that day.

Where are the best entry points and which ones are moving?
I have a scanner that checks every stock all day and alerts the trader LIVE to potential set ups. Along the way i also give my commentary alerting members to things that are happening. Like giving the heads before many of the moves.

Whats hot and got the potential to run in the afternoon for UK traders that work and want that move? Yesterday i mentioned TXU because it was hot and had the potential for the afternoon run, it delivered with a 300 point move from my comments.

Other traders will be joining the site and will be offering their views on hot stocks for swing trading both in both the UK and the US.

Alan
Sorry Alan, I understood that's WHAT you do. What I was asking was how you determine a stock is 'hot'? You must have criteria which you use to plug into your scanner. I guess that's what I was interested in - the mechanical basis for what criteria you consider constitutes 'hot'.

For instance, I'll look at tried-and-tested volume and price setups to alert me to potential setups. Divergence in volume and price. Breakouts, Triangles, channels, S&R, approach to Decades and 52wk HI and LO etc. - standard stuff. I just wondered if you use anything more exotic to drive your engine.

Catholic Church may approve use of Condoms(Reduce spread of Aids). Maybe worth watching shares of London Rubber Company. (Info. from Jeremy Vine show Radio 2).

neil said:
Catholic Church may approve use of Condoms(Reduce spread of Aids). Maybe worth watching shares of London Rubber Company. (Info. from Jeremy Vine show Radio 2).

The idea that the Catholic Church allowing the use of condoms as a means to prevent the spread of Aids having any impact is farcical. Aids is primairly spread by people having multiple sexual partners which is well known to be contrary to Catholic teaching.

So the idea that any Catholic who is happy to have multiple sexual partners but dimisses using condoms on religious grounds is a joke. This also presupposes that the majority of the population where Aids is most widely spread, (which is in Africa) are Catholic is also wrong.

In my view it would make almost no difference and whoever was suggesting that there is about to be a step change in Catholic teaching really knows nothing about how this institution works. It is not in any way similar to the C of E, (which is run amost like a democracy), as it is pretty much an autocracy and the current incumbant is continuing the policies of his predecessor. It is also widely thought that when this one dies the next will be even more autocratic.

Personally I have no bias on this subject but it amazes me how often the wrong information is spouted on Mr Vine's as well as other similar shows.

So sell rubber dont buy :)

Paul

Today has been yet another one of those days when the futures/indices trade poorly and great trades in stocks almost throw themselves at your feet.
CTSH
QCOM
GRMN
XMSR
PWAV
RMBS
PDLI
all produced nice moves.
Movement is where the action is and to have the choice of thousands of stocks rather than a handful of futures means you can go where the action is 90% of the time.
Richard

Last edited:
There's a thread on stress in trading so I thought I'd explain something here as it's more appropriate a place.
One of my hot stocks this afternnon was PWAV and I simply waited to see if one of my patterns set up. It did so at 11.90 and those who know me and check out the chart (not attached) will see it on the one min candles. The trigger came on micro-analysis and I wanted to short 3000 at a limit of 11.90. Unfortunately I only got 800, (it happens), as that's all there was at that moment. My stop was a failure of momentum so had it gone pear shaped, (rather unlikely), I would have lost a maximum of 2c as there was loads of stock to buy.
The price fell immediately as expected and I simply watched it fall seeing that the noise was never more than a 2c rise; this told me that as soon as the price rose 3c - at the very latest - I should cover. In other words my initial stop was on a failure of momentum and my trailing stop was on a change in behaviour on micro-analysis.
When the ask started rising I covered and grabbed 20c profit in two minutes off a no brainer with tiny risk.
All the time I was in total control, knowing exactly what I would do under any circumstances, so I experienced no stress at all. I hope that helps, ivorm.
I didn't take contemporaneous screen shots, but here is by broker execution screen for that trade. Only $145, but I for a two minute scalp it's better than nothing. Take what the market offers. Incidentally, on the candle I exited, the price went back up to 11.89 afterwards so the trade management was correct.
Richard

Attachments

• 030506PWAV.GIF
    030506PWAV.GIF
    3.9 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Mr. Charts said:
....................who cares about the "fundamentals" :)

I do!
fundamental truth about trading is trade what you see not what you think!! agree? :)

Hiya samtron,
I was referring to different "fundamentals".
You are, of course, absolutely right. Even after six and a half years of full time trading US stocks for a living, I ignore my own opinion. The latter is subjective. The evidence is objective and that's what I trade on.
The market doesn't care about anyone; reading the market and acting accordingly is what it is all about.
How many people look at a market situation and even bother to think about it or even see it from a market maker's perspective. Start doing that and things begin to make sense - trading them comes later.
Richard

Mr. Charts said:
There's a thread on stress in trading so I thought I'd explain something here as it's more appropriate a place.
One of my hot stocks this afternnon was PDLI

PWAV, as is clear from the execution screen. Good to see your posts again Richard.

B.

Alan,I wonder if you could talk about how you trade in a bear market,please?I think we'll make new highs but after that I'm not so sure.With the reg short threshold list being in force now,should we still be optimistic (could you give a little confidence boost,lol,to bear market trading virgins).

Hi Jonny i'll answer later when i'm taking a break.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
The purpose of this post and the one of 11.57am this morning is to demonstrate the validity of the hot stocks approach.
I am not discussing stock choice, patterns, set-ups, triggers, stops, position sizing, position management or money management, exits etc., purely illustrating opportunity.
Why mess around taking a few cents here and a few cents there when there are almost always hot stocks around you can get a $ run from???
And with safe extremely low risk management.
Look at my post from 2.5 hours before market open.
Then check out the charts shots I took several minutes after I exited all three trades and then had time to take some images.
Any capable trader should have got well over a whole dollar on two of them and almost a whole dollar on the other.
Three one dollar runs in under half an hour............for a 1000 share trader that's $3000+++
They are BOL, ERTS and WFMI
Hot stocks rule
QED
Richard

Attachments

• BOL.GIF
    BOL.GIF
    8.3 KB · Views: 292
  • ERTS.GIF
    ERTS.GIF
    10.2 KB · Views: 219
  • WFMI.GIF
    WFMI.GIF
    7.1 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Mr Charts - I'm sure you know that a 10c move will be equally as profitable as a 1 dollar move if you adjust your position size correctly. Do you think one could compare day traders who are constantly looking at the current big volatility stock to gamblers legging it round the slots in Vegas, attracted by the machines with the most flashing lights?

Meanwhile, there's a guy at the blackjack table counting cards, slowly but surely grinding out his edge....

...until the management suss him out and break his fingers with a hammer. At which point the analogy breaks down.

Agree with the sentiment Spam Man. The only proviso I'd make is that with the smaller absolute moves, the trading costs become more of an an issue and your performance less effective. Your risk:reward also skews against you.

Having said that though, and as Richard says, take what's on offer!

Fair point - though on IB commissions get cheaper as I trade in higher volume (using their unbundled structure - this won't mean anything to non-IB traders).Don't know if this is the case with other brokers. I'm really just illustrating a point...