where are the job ads?

djeede

I have a maths background, one year's city experience, and was looking to move into an options/derivatives proprietary trading company (not an arcade).

Do companies such as these advertise and if so what are the publications or websites ?

Any suggestions appreciated - I do not really want to get into the direct approach of trawling through an exchange membership list with my cv.

Also, any ideas of typical base salaries or bonus deals ?

Thanks

David

I have a maths background, one year's city experience, and was looking to move into an options/derivatives proprietary trading company

Before you move in it would be wise to check out how many rooms you will have.

You have to make sure that your furniture will fit in.

There are two options trading/market making firms you should try:

1. Mako
2. Optiver

Think they might be what your looking for. They advertise vacancies on there websites

think base salarys are about 25k with bonus of about 30% of your profit if any. Could well be wrong thought, maybe somebody else could clarify?

As someone above mentioned Mako and optiver are the places to try if u are just out of uni. They are market makers and not prop traders!!!!!
There are probably 1-2 options prop trading jobs out there for grads, and they will be looking at the MSc guys before the BSc guys. Generally options prop is for people with a couple of years experience. Why would they let a maths grad loose on a 5MM options prop book when the guy doesn't know what his vega exposure is????
Defo try mako and optiver, as they pay an awesome salary/

Best of luck

Robertral - I have never really understood the difference between market makers and prop traders. At least I thought m/ms make the spread and probably have a shorter term exposure and prop traders are more directional or vol based, but I do not see where your edge is in this (are there not enough people/funds trying to do it?- and at least for the hedge funds it is not their money they are risking).
Any idea how the market makers are doing in such low vol markets. Just about every market I have looked at seems to be huge size and minimum tick, or maybe I am just looking at the wrong markets.
Also, what do you mean by awesome salary ?
Thanks
DJ