What is the best trading software

Mr Steve

What is the best Trading Software?, we are in a new era, new historical uncharted waters, and some of us have won and lost. We have everyone with marketing skills trying to sell the naive the silver bullet. So my question is what is a great trading software that will do the fallowing:

Great end of day updating
Easy criteria that I may setup for my picks
Great real time data
And affordable.

If any of you have any recommendations I would like to start a discussion on them. With the market stuck in a rut, this is a perfect time to check out new software.

In these rough markets it is verry likely to find people with great systems.
we have seen a complete makeover from the markets, this data is something we can use and be succesfull for another few years (untill the next bigger crash)

Sierra Chart with feeds from a variety of sources.

I use my broker (Interactive Brokers) as my data source (free to customers).

What is the best Trading Software?, we are in a new era, new historical uncharted waters, and some of us have won and lost. We have everyone with marketing skills trying to sell the naive the silver bullet. So my question is what is a great trading software that will do the fallowing:

Great end of day updating
Easy criteria that I may setup for my picks
Great real time data
And affordable.

If any of you have any recommendations I would like to start a discussion on them. With the market stuck in a rut, this is a perfect time to check out new software.

I think the best trading software is not available to retail punters. We have to do with the diesel versions against the high octane models the pros use.

I've tried pretty much the lot and I reckon a dart board is as good as anything.:D

Look at the reviews on Elite Trader - The #1 Site for Active Traders you can get a good idea there (the reviews section o this site is poor by comparison)

I will fallow all the links you have suggested. Thank you for posting a starting point for me. I am using a program called Trade Navigator bt Genesis, located at
Genesis Financial Technologies - Index
Works OK for end of day data, I also like a lot of the other features. When I subscribe to streaming charts it lacks a lot to be desired ( slow update) not real time.
I have made some bad trades lately because the only real data I can get is my trading data is Option Express. But the charts allthough very good, is all I have. I am looking for another program to replace my trade Navigator that has real time charting that is a little more real time. What computer Charting program do most of you rely upon to base your decision before a trade?
I guess what I am looking for is the best place or software for realtime charting. I do not want to change my broker just because I am looking for another set of eyes.

I was about to post the same question, so I am interested in other people's views on charting software.

I am currently looking at Sharescope, which was reommended to me by someone on here.

Goto EliteTrader.com and read all the reviews and thoughts/comments on software...you will quickly learn more than you need to, to select a couple of packages to explore. I am assuming you mean charting software....

For charting I use ProRealTime : Real Time Technical Analysis Software it's realy a great tool, I find it really comparible with my alltime favorite MetaStock.

You can use ProRealTime with EOD data for free!
You only have to pay for realtime subscriptions, I have realtime subscription for a few markets and it works the same as the EOD charts, only the timeframe differs and it is constantly counting down to the second when the new bar will be added to the chart. One of the advantages is that you only pay for the subscription and not for the software. I would say try out the EOD version (and you get a 7 day trail on the realtime subscription). A lot of professional party's are using their software also.

My Broker is InteractiveBrokers, I use their trade workstation TWS to enter the orders.

I also use Trade Navigator and love it, I get my RT from Transact and trade through TN w/ Transact. My only complaint would be that you are unable to defragment the data folder, which can cause charting lag after a year or so of use. There are ways around that though, like re-installing the data every year or so.

When using Trade navigator, the basic streaming packages are delayed. You need to pay the exchange fee's to get real time data. Or you can also hook up with a broker who works with Genesis to get RT from that broker for free. The regular data service is advertised as delayed, if all of thier packages were RT, the cost would be much higher.

I started off using Metastock for charting and back testing. The charting was very good, the coding for back testing isnt so flexible or easy to learn. The analysis of the back testing was also pretty poor. And it's a little on the expensive side.

I moved onto Ninja Trader which for charting isn't so good but I use it for the automated trading and a bit of back testing and it serves me well. It's free to use if you have a data source, you have to pay when you want to start automated trading. It also has a wizard for creating your back testing strategies (which you can save and easily add them to your live environment) which creates the code in C#, so if you can code the world is your oyster.

A friend of mine uses MetaTrader which he likes so that might be worth a look.

the most affordable platforms are open source if you are wanting to experiment and already have a broker. activequant is a java project, tradelink is my c# open source project. tradelink - Google Code

You can backtest automated strategies, develop discretionary ones, record and playback tick data from several supported brokers... it's all free. supports IB, Assent and Sterling (echo/cybertrade) out of the box. TD ameritrade is coming next.

Tradestation is also a popular and relatively inexpensive-all-inclusive commercial product (eg closed source). Wealth-lab is also popular for automated systems development.

I have also used Genesis FT- but only as a demo. It seems decent enough, and I like the fact you can set it up to automatically put your favourite studies and indicators on a chart. Particularly, you can tell it to put daily, weekly and monthly pivots and resistances on a chart- which if calculated manualy would take ages.

The thing is, it costs a hundred pounds, and I'm sure there must be better programs out there for similar prices. Even if better programs were more expensive, I'd still rather pay vastly more and have more options.

Does any one know of a program that can generate the efficient frontier for a set of stocks? Whilst i'm mainly a forex guy, i would really like that!