What do your plans for next week look like? There is a trading seminar being held.

allie_merrick

Hi there, all.

I'm always looking for new ways to learn more about trading.

I found a seminar that is being offered> It's called "Introduction to Trading: CFDs, Spread Betting & Sport Forex".

If any of you know of similar upcoming events, please let me know.

Cheers,
Allie

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the email off GFT but it looks sh*t

What are they even going to talk about? They just want more customers to get more spreads/commisions/money from losing trades where they dont even go through the rigmarall of purchasing the underlying. It's a sales pitch as far as i'm concerned. They have no interest in puttin money in my pocket and you cant learn to trade after one seminar - which many people will attempt to do.

I have to say that I disagree.

I'll admit that I'm new to trading, but that's why I'm looking forward to the seminar.
I contacted someone at GFT, and they told me a bit more about what I can expect to learn.
I think if I learn a bit more about CFDs and know a bit more about how to use trading tools better, it will be worthwhile. Besides that, it's FREE.

A friend of mine opened up an account with GFT and highly recommends them.
He's tried a lot of other brokers, and found that GFT was the best.
So, I think I'll try them out.

Aaron, if you hear about other opportunities to learn more please let me know.

Cheers.

I'll admit that I'm new to trading, but that's why I'm looking forward to the seminar.
I contacted someone at GFT, and they told me a bit more about what I can expect to learn.
I think if I learn a bit more about CFDs and know a bit more about how to use trading tools better, it will be worthwhile. Besides that, it's FREE.

Cheers.

I didnt know I am ever going to say that but here it is:
Everything you need to know about trading is probably here, in this forum, but you can go pick up some vibe from there

what worries me is that companies such as gft are now scraping the barrel to such an extent that they're getting patsies to spam forums to drum up interest...very worrying development...

You'll get exactly what you pay for then. There's a regular 'free seminar' held by an organisation located nearby to me, I considered paying them a visit for the hell of it. When I got a courtesy call from them I suggested that it was merely a pitch for their products. The guy leveled with me and said that was pretty much it. If you've got nothing better to do then I suppose it can't hurt, just don't expect too much.

You'll get exactly what you pay for then. There's a regular 'free seminar' held by an organisation located nearby to me, I considered paying them a visit for the hell of it. When I got a courtesy call from them I suggested that it was merely a pitch for their products. The guy leveled with me and said that was pretty much it. If you've got nothing better to do then I suppose it can't hurt, just don't expect too much.

If one of these companies held a seminar on SB or forex on a Sat or Sunday it would say a lot more about their credibility IMHO. If they offer to pay me the 500 quid I might miss out on by attending on a weekday I might consider it.

I confess that I attend a number of such seminars. Its fun to see what's being proposed - something to fade - and who's turning up. Makes one feel a bit like a seasoned professional.

Now; if they'd only improve the coffee.

IG Index regularly do free seminars in London IIRC. Just don't pay for any seminars unless you know 100% that they actually know what they're talking about. So many people make their money from teaching and not trading. There are a handful who can trade and also teach.

I've been to a couple of free seminars featuring Tom Hougaard ("Trader Tom").
He's very entertaining - larger than life.
One was more of a sales pitch than the other, but both were quite good really, with quite a lot of technical stuff.

Of course he gave the impression that we were being made privy to what was almost insider information, and holy grail stuff ... without it actually being anything of the kind, but that was just good showmanship.

Because I am on his mailing list, I've been getting stuff about his new "Live Trading Room", which is free for a limited period. I haven't bothered to look at it; perhaps I should before it stops being free.

To be honest, I don't know if he walks the walk as well as he talks the talk. I haven't been to one of his pay-for talks and I don't see myself doing so any time soon.

He had a bit of a bare stretch which is why he’s opening up a brand new site and has discontinued the old one.

I've been to a couple of free seminars featuring Tom Hougaard ("Trader Tom").
He's very entertaining - larger than life.
One was more of a sales pitch than the other, but both were quite good really, with quite

To be honest, I don't know if he walks the walk as well as he talks the talk. I haven't been to one of his pay-for talks and I don't see myself doing so any time soon.

Hello,
I have been using his site for the last month of so. He rarely trades! Sometimes one or 2 trades a day and he says it is for educational purpose only! His idea is to charge £89 a month for the service in the future,But to be honest, almost all his trades are flops.
He mainly concentrates on forex pairs and sometimes indices.I have never seen a tip on any shares.You have to be logged on whole day to see one or 2 trades!
It is free at the moment,so worth a try.But if he wants to charge i donot see anyone taking his offer.

Good luck and happy trading

Cheers.

I can't help feeling what we have here is a pathetic attempt by a GFT employee to drum up more business.

Hello,
I have been using his site for the last month of so. He rarely trades! Sometimes one or 2 trades a day and he says it is for educational purpose only! His idea is to charge £89 a month for the service in the future,But to be honest, almost all his trades are flops.
He mainly concentrates on forex pairs and sometimes indices.I have never seen a tip on any shares.You have to be logged on whole day to see one or 2 trades!
It is free at the moment,so worth a try.But if he wants to charge i donot see anyone taking his offer.

Good luck and happy trading

Fasttrader & Bramble:

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes, I'd sort of got the impression his public trades weren't that hot. I don't mind small number of trades in principle, although in a live trading room, it might not work so well.

I think I'd pay to see Malcolm Pryor, who seems to be more of a solid trader and less of a BS artist. However, he seems a little too indicator-oriented for the approach I am trying to take at the moment, so I haven't gone out of my way to attend one of his sessions so far. I think there is something to be said for revisiting some indicators after you have learned to trade without them - use them as signposts rather than crutches, as it were (as newbies use them, and as I certainly used to).