What did we all get for xmas?

Don't forget the new (UK version) series starting tonight, 21:00 BBC1.

I've watched the Swedish subtitled originals. Brannagh is going to be hard pushed to make his version as depressing and intriguing. I don't normally do detective stuff but this stuff has been really top drawer.

I've watched the Swedish subtitled originals. Brannagh is going to be hard pushed to make his version as depressing and intriguing. I don't normally do detective stuff but this stuff has been really top drawer.

OMG, they're doing a UK version? Fooking 'ell....:(

OMG, they're doing a UK version? Fooking 'ell....:(

I watched some pilots he did before they aired the original series. He wasn't too bad tbh but I still don't think they're a patch on the originals. I don't think they are trying to re-do the original 13 part series - I don't think Markell would have allowed it especially after the actress who played Linda Wallander committed suicide.

Anyway, it's recording so I'll watch it tomorrow night.

I watched some pilots he did before they aired the original series. He wasn't too bad tbh but I still don't think they're a patch on the originals. I don't think they are trying to re-do the original 13 part series - I don't think Markell would have allowed it especially after the actress who played Linda Wallander committed suicide.

Turning point was her experiences of the Tsunami when in Thailand; :(

Despite her great talent and burgeoning success … Johanna found it difficult to cope with the attention this brought, and in 1997 she took a break from acting and moved to Denmark, where she worked as a waitress in a cafe.

She returned to Sweden in 2000, and resumed her career. She struggled financially, landing only occasional bit- parts and faced eviction from her apartment … even as she was pregnant with her daughter, Talulah.

She divorced from her husband shortly after Talulah's birth in 2001, and later confessed she was so lonely that she welcomed the visit of a court official to assess her possible eviction. She even invited him into her apartment for coffee … as he was the first human contact she had had in so many days.

She was at her lowest possible ebb in 2004 when she landed the prestigious role of Linda Wallander in Henning Mankell's 13 part murder-mystery television film series: Wallander.

This should have been a turning point for her, and she seemed set for happiness with her young daughter and a dream role … but in December 2004 she was holidaying on a beach in Thailand when the catastrophic Indian Ocean tsunami devastated the coast and … as it turned out … Johanna's life.

She only just managed to save her own life, and that of her young daughter, by climbing and clinging desperately to a tree … but Johanna saw many hundreds of people killed around her, including close friends and dozens of fellow Swedes.

Johanna was never to fully recover from her terrible experiences in Thailand.

Johanna … a naturally intensely shy and fragile person … had already struggled with the publicity demands of her chosen profession …was haunted by what she had experienced and seen in Thailand. Much of that trauma almost seems to be reflected on her face in the Wallander films.

In filming these episodes … some of the more powerful screenplays may have unintentionally mirrored and evoked her personal demons and memories of death, suicide, depression and the tsunami. The shock, distress and trauma we see on Linda's face was due to some quite brilliant acting … yet, was also probably all too real at times for Johanna.

Although intensely private, Johanna gave an interview early in 2006, in which she revealed that she had not expected to live to 30 (she was then 31), and implied suicidal thoughts in the past, but that she was looking forward to her future career, and enjoying life with her daughter.

Sadly, her depression deteriorated rapidly after the shooting of the Wallander television films ended in 2005/2006 … and she was admitted for treatment to a psychiatric hospital in Malmö.

A Swedish newspaper reported that Johanna had just been released from the Malmö psychiatric hospital on 12th February, 2007. On 13th February, 2007 … whilst on an unsupervised evening visit to her central Malmö apartment … Johanna tragically committed suicide by a prescription drugs overdose.

It is so dreadfully sad, upsetting and heart-rending that such a talented young mother and actress should have been so traumatised by her 2004 tsunami experiences … and by the demands of the public spotlight and life in general … that she should have been so terribly distressed … so compulsively driven into such an acutely depressive mental state that resulted in her distraught, heartbreakingly desperate decision, to leave her beloved daughter and family, to take her own life.

For Johanna Sällström … who was such a beautiful, gentle, pleasant and gifted young woman … who had so much to offer … so much to look forward to … who was finally realising the acting career success and stability she so thoroughly deserved … and had fought and struggled so hard to achieve … her unbearable, heartbreaking, untimely death at 32 is all the more tragic.
http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/o...5789-johanna-s-llstr-m-1974-2007-tribute.html

No they are doing all the novels (which my wife and I have now read, after seeing the first UK series and then some of the Swedish one, plus the documentary about Mankell). I/we now get slightly confused between what we've read, what we've seen in the Brannagh versions and what we've seen in the Swedish versions. All good stuff though.

I didn't know there had been pilots.

There was an interesting interview with Brannagh on BBC Radio 4 "Front Row" a few weeks ago. He said he'd made a point of not seeing the Swedish version, although he'd met Krister Henriksson, and that in the filming of one of the programmes, they had come across the other production crew filming their show, and had waved to each other :)

Yes, very sad about Johanna Sällström :-( I had heard some of the story, but not that amount of detail. The Swedes seem to be a rather depressive lot though, at the best of times.

BTW, we are pretty sure that one of the regular actors from the Swedish series had a (relatively small, and non-speaking or hardly-speaking) part in tonight's UK episode.