Warrants Game

yep
I've had a go for a couple of weeks.
just about managing to stay in the black, but can't say I feel inclined give covered warrants the time it would need do well with them.
I am comfortable with cfds & spread betting, as they're easy to get into, but theres a whole load of other factors with CWs.
theres a steep learning curve for anyone new, and I'm struggling to see the attraction.

promoters say CWs did well when launched in europe a decade or so ago, but then I reckon they wouldn't have had cfds & spreads as we do now.
I reckon CWs will struggle a lot more to take off in UK, hence the constant promotions, £1 dealing offers, and indeed this trading game!

In my book if its simple and effective, the chances of something going wrong in a trade are reduced.
anyway, thats my view.

*--------

on second look, there are also "certificates" covering indices and commodities.
these are a lot less complicated, and might me useful for a straight call / put on the market to hedge or speculate. however, you would still be charged a dealing fee both ways, and possibly be liable for tax. unlike spreads.

Last edited:
Hi Reynard,
Sorry I have not replied to your post.
I've been away for a while and just noticed it.
Couldn't agree more with your comments.
Regards,
Badd

reynard said:
yep
I've had a go for a couple of weeks.
just about managing to stay in the black, but can't say I feel inclined give covered warrants the time it would need do well with them.
I am comfortable with cfds & spread betting, as they're easy to get into, but theres a whole load of other factors with CWs.
theres a steep learning curve for anyone new, and I'm struggling to see the attraction.

promoters say CWs did well when launched in europe a decade or so ago, but then I reckon they wouldn't have had cfds & spreads as we do now.
I reckon CWs will struggle a lot more to take off in UK, hence the constant promotions, £1 dealing offers, and indeed this trading game!

In my book if its simple and effective, the chances of something going wrong in a trade are reduced.
anyway, thats my view.

*--------

on second look, there are also "certificates" covering indices and commodities.
these are a lot less complicated, and might me useful for a straight call / put on the market to hedge or speculate. however, you would still be charged a dealing fee both ways, and possibly be liable for tax. unlike spreads.

Hi Mauzi,
Well done!!
I just about managed to stay in the first 100.
Not bad considering that I have not started trading for real, yet.
Regards,
Badd