UPSilon 2000 Problems -HELP!

timsk

Legendary member
I keep getting a surge (or an interruption) in my power supply, evidenced by a flicker of the main lights. It's not a complete power cut and isn't enough to shut down computers etc. However, it is enough to trigger my UPSilon 2000 into action and it duly bleeps at me - twice. What happens next is the problem. While the UPS sorts itself out, all incoming data is frozen for what seems like forever but may only be 30 seconds or so. However, when you're scalping AAPL, it ain't what you want! After the 30 second or so lapse, the data starts to flow again and normal service is resumed until the next time. It can happen ten times in half an hour and then stop - just like that - and be fine for a few days. It's ferkin irritating!
For a graphic representation of what it looks like, see the attached chart. The X hairs mark the spot where the data stops and the screen freezes. Note the 50 cent hole before data starts to flow again! I've got the local electricity supplier onto the problem to see what they can do but, in the meantime, I wonder if anyone has any ideas about the UPS device itself. E.g. I was wondering if I could make it less sensitive, so that it ignored these little blips in power supply? Any ideas greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Tim.

Attachments

• UPS_Freeze_29_10_08.gif
    UPS_Freeze_29_10_08.gif
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,597
While the UPS sorts itself out, all incoming data is frozen for what seems like forever but may only be 30 seconds or so

This doesn't make sense to me as the idea of a UPS is that there is no interruption in power and therefore should have no interruption in data. My ups is seamless in that if there is a power cut everything on my trading set up is as if nothing happened. It sounds like a fault with the UPS itself.

Paul

Cheers Paul,
I'm going to e-mail the firm that supplied the UPS and pass on your comments.
Thanks for the input.
Tim.

No expert. Maybe your router is resetting itself? Or can you get on other internet sites when it happens. Watch the lights on your modem for clues.

If there are genuine electrical issues my guess is that the internet connection outside from your house is going down as it is likely to share the same supply...