Trend indicator

Effkay

Hi,

does anyone know of any indicator or method, to tell whether a market is trending or not?

I know of wilder's ADX but was wondering if anyone knew of any others?

Thanks

Effkay said:
Hi,

does anyone know of any indicator or method, to tell whether a market is trending or not?

Thanks

I think I can help with this one.

Go long and if you are stopped out, then the market is trending short

Effkay said:
Purists will have you connect 3 or more higher Lows for an Up trend and 3 or more lower Highs for a Down trend.

In practise - a quick eyeball on a chart will give you that confirmation - or not.

Effkay said:
Hi,

Thanks
try using MACD (7 16 9) with Stochastics( 14 7 3) in two different time frames say 15 m& 60m if they agree there is trend and if they do not agree trend is neutral.

haleh - an innovative and unusual interpretation. But if this combination seems to work for you in helping you to decide what is and what isn't a trend....

Thanks guys, I see commanderco has a helpful method!! :)

I'll look into your combination haleh thanks!

Bramble, When you say 3 or more do you mean 3 or more separate bars or can they be 3 consecutive bars (i think that makes sense!)?

Effkay said:
Bramble, When you say 3 or more do you mean 3 or more separate bars or can they be 3 consecutive bars (i think that makes sense!)?
I don't think 3 consecutive bars in any timeframe would constitute a trend.

I thought as much! I guess it's a case of eyeballing to see how far apart they should be?

commanderco said:
NO ... I am a Trader not a Historian ( I trade CME IMM´s)

erm...ok thanks, quite why a historian would use ADX i'm not sure but thanks for your input so far, anyone else use ADX?!

Effkay said:
erm...ok thanks, quite why a historian would use ADX i'm not sure but thanks for your input so far, anyone else use ADX?!

The ADX is too slow for me, hence the reference to history