Trading Psychology

Spot-on there Denman. It's not difficult to learn how to trade or even to develop a strategy that has an edge. The difficulty is in mastering the psychology required to stick to a winning formula through the hard times and the good.

97% of traders fail in the long-term due to their inability to master their emotions. This is the difficult part of trading, this is the bit that takes time and experience.

I think with the advent of technical analysis many traders make the mistake of thinking that the learning curve attached to understanding the technical aspects is THE important learning curve in trading.

But ultimately technical analysis is just a means to an end and it's all too easy to get caught up in chasing the "holy grail" of trading strategies, thinking that some magic combination of technical indicators is going to provide a full-proof strategy. In fact, the holy grail doesn't exist.

The successful traders out there - the ones actually making a living from it - are those who have found a strategy with a profitable edge (even if it's only a very slight edge), and mastered the discipline required to STICK to that strategy, even during drawdown periods. Of course, that's not to say that any single strategy will always have an edge - it may need tweaking from time to time.

Trying to find that magic strategy that's gonna pull in 1000s of pips every month and make you rich overnight is just a mug's game. It appeals to the gamblers out there but this kind of approach has very little probability of success in the long-term.

Along with the power of compound growth, a strategy that pulls in an average of around 100 pips a month is more than enough to make some serious money if executed consistently.

Trading is a business, and it should be treated as such. This means careful risk management, preservation of capital, and re-investing of profits to compound up the returns. Steady, safe growth.
Morning GF, yeah absolutely right and its this transition (once mastered) that will provide the trader that :idea: moment and realize that it is they themselves are the vessel for the coveted 'Holy Grail'.
Good day to you Sir :clover::clover:

Even if this give's you less than 1:1 RRR ?

Funny I have started to lean the other way and now apart from the FNT 8.30 close for whatever profit I won'r lockin unless sit is for 1:1 profit and only move to b/e @ 1:1 profit not less.

I think this comes from a LTTTM lightbulb moment about daily pinbars and inside bars being more high probability trades but then Nial Fuller saying he always aims for 2:1 , 3:1 or 4:1 and only expects a strike rate of 40-45%.

I think our full TP strike rate on MMI (+30) is maybe just over 50%, maybe 51, 52% but then we have pleanty of smaller wins too keeping the total strike rate above 60%.

M

Even if this give's you less than 1:1 RRR ?

Funny I have started to lean the other way and now apart from the FNT 8.30 close for whatever profit I won'r lockin unless sit is for 1:1 profit and only move to b/e @ 1:1 profit not less.

I think this comes from a LTTTM lightbulb moment about daily pinbars and inside bars being more high probability trades but then Nial Fuller saying he always aims for 2:1 , 3:1 or 4:1 and only expects a strike rate of 40-45%.

I think our full TP strike rate on MMI (+30) is maybe just over 50%, maybe 51, 52% but then we have pleanty of smaller wins too keeping the total strike rate above 60%.

M

Hi Mark. Yes, depending on what system/strat I'm using. For example my SL when trading 'Gaps' is often 1:3 but I have rarely lost. All I know is that since I changed my mindset, not only am I thoroughly enjoying trading, no stress etc but my accounts are seriously looking healthy. I suppose its what suits me. :red_india

Last edited:
ps. I also trade daily pinbars/'inside bars and with a healthier 'looking' ratio but if I trade 30m or 15m TFs then more often than not its 1:1.
My problem was not my RR it was being too greedy/fearful to 'pull the trigger'.

Here's a useful video about trading psychology and the importance of having a trading plan and sticking to it. Glad it's not just me who keeps going on about discipline LOL!

He goes off on one a bit in the middle of the video and only blinks about 5 times during the whole recording LOL, but it's worth 5 minutes of your time to watch I reckon. :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OGV-RbK2jIs

Good VDO GF (y)

...to follow on, i have attached a PP slides from Dr Richard McCall I mentioned earlier here. (found my HD caddy.... with vast amount of resourced... should there be anything anyone want about any topic on trading then just ask).

...and hello to Denman:) Glad this thread is helpful....

Attachments

• ACTION.pdf
    360.9 KB · Views: 1,808
  • secrets.pdf
    384.9 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:
Good VDO GF (y)

...to follow on, i have attached a PP slides from Dr Richard McCall I mentioned earlier here. (found my HD caddy.... with vast amount of resourced... should there be anything anyone want about any topic on trading then just ask).

Cheers MaxiV, I look forward to reading the PDFs.

Good VDO GF (y)

Good evening Max', and a warm welcome to you also.
Thanx for the 'PDFs

The Right Brain vs Left Brain

The Right Brain vs Left Brain test ... do you see the dancer turning clockwise or anti-clockwise?

If clockwise, then you use more of the right side of the brain and vice versa.

Most of us would see the dancer turning anti-clockwise though you can try to focus and change the direction; see if you can do it.

577592-the-right-brain-vs-left-brain-test.gif

LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception