Trading Computer

Im not much of a tech guy but would like to know, would you see a great deal of difference in receiving live streaming charts form the two specs bellow. Also does the processor helps with live streaming charts. or is it up to the company who give the data out.Then this would mean all you need is a good connection. All I have up on screen is IB TSW Platform and my charts from profhet.both are browser based.

Thinking of buying
Processor AMD Athlon 64
Processor speed 2.20 GHz
Front side bus 1600 MHz
L2 cache 1 Mb
Screen size 15" XGA
Storage 40 GB
RAM 512 Mb

This is the one I use.
Processor speed 1.5 (M340) GHz
Front side bus 400 MHz .
L2 cache 512 Kb
Screen size 15.0" XGA
Storage 40 GB
RAM 256 Mb

Thanks

sun

I wouldn't have thought that you'll see much difference at all (if any) if they are the only two applications you're running. IE uses quite a lot of memory, so another 256Mb RAM in your existing system probably wouldn't go amiss, or certainly another 128Mb at least. You can buy this amount of RAM for £25-35 from somewhere like Ebay.

Someone I know charts the market using IB and he has a clunkly old P3 733MHz, 192Mb RAM and frankly its a piece of junk - but I've sat side by side with him and my P4 laptop, and not noticed a hell of a lot of difference, except when I start another application whilst my charts are running... mine starts, his sits there and thinks about it for five minutes.

rossored said:
I wouldn't have thought that you'll see much difference at all (if any) if they are the only two applications you're running. IE uses quite a lot of memory, so another 256Mb RAM in your existing system probably wouldn't go amiss, or certainly another 128Mb at least. You can buy this amount of RAM for £25-35 from somewhere like Ebay.

Someone I know charts the market using IB and he has a clunkly old P3 733MHz, 192Mb RAM and frankly its a piece of junk - but I've sat side by side with him and my P4 laptop, and not noticed a hell of a lot of difference, except when I start another application whilst my charts are running... mine starts, his sits there and thinks about it for five minutes.
At this time its totally pointless buying a 64 bit processor. The reasons are:

1) Windows desktop OS are 32 bit
2) All Windows desktop applications are 32 bit
3) You are paying through the roof for something that cannot even run in native mode

Your existing machine should be fine, just add another 256MB of RAM.

Another option would be to purchase a newer and faster hard drive or if you really want to speed up a raid card and two new drives.

JonnyT

Thanks for that. just one more question if I may.Front side bus 1600 MHz is this enough. vs Front side bus 400 MHz . This is what I got currently.on my laptop.

Also can I add new ram in my laptop myself is it straight forward. I got a Fujitsu Siemens

I only just bought this and when I had a look at system information it showed 190 ram???

Thanks

sun

The Ultimate Computer Trading System

Computer technology becomes obsolete too quickly. I have to come up with a new "Ultimate Computer System for Trading". I would love to hear your thoughts about what the best of the best would be for the Computer System and the Software you would run for trading. I like the idea of those four monitor systems Matrox 6400 Quad Monitor. What would I run on them? I guess their has been some discussion of E-Signal. How does Trade Station compare to that?
What would your Ultimate Trading Station consist of? If it could do everything you wanted it to.

John :?:

PizBot said:
Computer technology becomes obsolete too quickly. I have to come up with a new "Ultimate Computer System for Trading". I would love to hear your thoughts about what the best of the best would be for the Computer System and the Software you would run for trading. I like the idea of those four monitor systems Matrox 6400 Quad Monitor. What would I run on them? I guess their has been some discussion of E-Signal. How does Trade Station compare to that?
What would your Ultimate Trading Station consist of? If it could do everything you wanted it to.

John :?:

Successful trading does not demand that much from a computer, beyond the fairly basic. Concentration on "cutting edge" tecnology simply detracts attention from the most important component, the knowledge, judgement and experience of the individual sat in front of it, you will make, or lose, just as much money sat in front of a $10,000 PC as you will in front a $2000 one.