totally new investor

iwrly

This site has been recommended by reliable friends as a good place to be guided in the investment world. I have too many telephone calls wanting to sell me shares for a guaranteed profit so long as I buy from them. I prefer to buy through my own bank.
Where can I get good investment advice?
I have only dabbled in this market, buying shares in companies that I consider good value - needless to say, I have had mixed results.

Ian W

Hi there. Depends what you mean by buying shares as an investment. There's a difference between that and Trading, which is what we are about.

Thank god you resisted. They're boiler rooms selling Regulation S shares. You'll never EVER get your money back let alone make a profit.

Yep, only buy shares through a KNOWN broker and NEVER from people that cold call you.

My advice is that if you're an investor take the amount of money you want to put into the market, divide it by 12 and then buy that amount every month for the next year. Buy index funds (ETFs) on a wide range of global markets, India, UK, Europe, US, China, Brazil, Vietnam, Mexico, basically anything and everything.

By doing that you'll get as good results as if you'd listed to a bone-head broker.

Hi there. Depends what you mean by buying shares as an investment. There's a difference between that and Trading, which is what we are about.

Currently I don't have a definition of buying/selling shares as compared with Trading.
As a beginner it's all the same. which is why I asked for some help. I am eager to put my mind to new ideas. Do I need a book, leaflet or PhD?

Ian

Yep, only buy shares through a KNOWN broker and NEVER from people that cold call you.

My advice is that if you're an investor take the amount of money you want to put into the market, divide it by 12 and then buy that amount every month for the next year. Buy index funds (ETFs) on a wide range of global markets, India, UK, Europe, US, China, Brazil, Vietnam, Mexico, basically anything and everything.

By doing that you'll get as good results as if you'd listed to a bone-head broker.

That sounds pretty straight forward. I will keep that idea.

read; preactice, read

This site has been recommended by reliable friends as a good place to be guided in the investment world. I have too many telephone calls wanting to sell me shares for a guaranteed profit so long as I buy from them. I prefer to buy through my own bank.
Where can I get good investment advice?
I have only dabbled in this market, buying shares in companies that I consider good value - needless to say, I have had mixed results.

Ian W

This book might help but there are others. You have to read a lot (This site has much to offer - use the links and search facility at the top of the page), practice, and keep looking at this site. Bear in mind that most discussions here are centred on short term trading as opposed to selecting and holding shares for weeks or more.

T2W Day Trading & Forex Community

DO NOT BUY SHARES etc FROM COLD CALLS ( The papers regularly feature victims of such "boiler rooms."

It will take time to be any good; so forget promises of "signals and news letters etc to make you rich"

Good luck