Time frame question

laoshi

Hi,
I've been lurking a lot, reading and digesting as much as I can for several months now. I am very interested in swing trading rather than day trading, but realise that a lot of the ideas and systems etc discussed here are biased towards day trading.
My question is, realistically can some of these ideas be transferred to higher time frames ie daily, weekly, monthly instead of 2min, 10 min, hourly.
In the main I'm talking about ma and MACD crossovers, pivot points and fib retracements.
I realise that a lot of you don't like holding a position overnight, but if they can, what would the downside of spreadbetting some of these systems be?

Alan

Hi

I would not like to comment on the downside of spreadbetting any of these systems as that is a fairly vast question. However, I can think I can safely say that ma's, MACD, pivots and Fib can be applied to any time scale...

what would the downside of spreadbetting some of these systems be

Possible higher trading costs than direct access (even with the longer timeframe).

problem with longer time frames is 60% of volume /or trades are made of basket traders which can move indexes 4 to 8 points in 30-45 minutes,all your indicators are already history when they cross,so your longer time frames work but you may get stopped out for losses in the zig-zag even tho the market goes your direction, the market today is battling bulls and bears,no real trend like an evenly matched pair of boxers,the advantage goes back and forth,there will be a trend again and you may still be solvent at that time but the floor traders are keeping there hands in thier pockets right now,market is just to choppy be patient and you will be able to position trade

Gotta agree with the last poster. I week trade because I have a full time day job currently. This causes me to miss on alot of profit and to take some losses that if I was trading on a more compressed basis wouldn't occur.

I make a decent return on my money but the systems that I use would make more money if I was able to stay around and trade more during the day.

what system do u use

crazy trader said:
Gotta agree with the last poster. I week trade because I have a full time day job currently. This causes me to miss on alot of profit and to take some losses that if I was trading on a more compressed basis wouldn't occur.

I make a decent return on my money but the systems that I use would make more money if I was able to stay around and trade more during the day.
hi crazt trader could you kindley tell me what system do you use.