Socrates

I don't normally contribute but you can't miss the postings of SOCRATESE on T2W! Was listening to a very interesting talk on Radio 4 this morning (Melvyn Bragg - repeat tonight 9.30pm) where some learned guests gave an excellent insight. Below is the flyer from Radio 4 website:

"Of all the names in ancient philosophy, Socrates is one to conjure with. Born in 469 BC into the golden age of the city of Athens, his impact is so profound that all the thinkers who went before are simply known as pre-Socratic.

In person Socrates was deliberately irritating, he was funny and he was rude; he didn’t like democracy very much and spent quite a lot of time in shoe shops. He claimed he was on a mission from God to educate his fellow Athenians but has left us nothing in his own hand because he refused to write anything down."

Perhaps the broadcast may enlighten his followers?

PS Socratese - no disrespect intended: your posts always worth a read.

you dont have to wait for a scheduled broadcast.
the BBC has an excellent "Listen Again" facility enabling you to listen to programmes from an archive, available for a week after initial broadcast.

There was another broadcast last night about demolition I caught the end of it... science v experience and know how....... again well worth a listen

I caught Bragg's 'In Our Time' programme this morning on R4. The introduction made me smile. His username is very well chosen I must say!

I don't think Socrates of T2W is the same person as Socrates of Athens.

Grant.

Radio 4 - 9.30 tonight. Melvin Bragg's Programme..Don't forget. Sharpen your ears and listen carefully.

.............You cannot complain I do not tell you everything....so there !

Well, you have listened to the programme. I am not going to ask you what you think....I am going to ask what did you hear, and what he really meant by "The unexamined life is not worth living" ? Also what is the diametric difference between the posture of Plato on the one hand, and Socrates on the other ? Discuss...

Rols,

Don’t be cheeky.

Socrates,

I did listen. I missed the beginning so I don’t know who the guests were, but they were certainly interesting. Unfortunately, my “Lord” Bragg is something of a dilettante at best, at worse sounding just like any another BBC pseudo-intellectual, liberal dcikhead. I’m surprised he didn’t ask what Socrates would have thought of the Miners’ Strike.

About my fog – I live in hope.

Grant.