Scalping

MP.

There's too much sordid innuend on in this thread. Don't take any notice of RC - he's jealous of my beauty and youthfulness.

I wish the OP was a sixteen year old girl, or two...better not.

(I wonder if that's fooled ' em?).

Grant.

wicked, wicked traders that we are

LOL

mp

Originally Posted by Aspire
But making money out of the markets is not easy and poeple who aren't good enough lose it.

as far as your words go, i would agree with that --- EXPERIENCE, even more than GOOD, is the keynote to keeping whatever you make --- gamma has just opened a thread that will take a newb, teach that person correct money management, and set them loose -- he postulates the person should be able to make 10% a month profits, and i would tend to agree with the statement

If I was concentrating on taking money out of the markets and some pr1ck told me to stop doing what I'm doing to hedge your spread bet I would tell him where to go.

Depending completely on the situation, the person might be right or might be wrong --- its a vague hypothetical and doesnt really point to anything one can discuss !

No good trader is going to be prepared to work in that environment and they will only make money prop trading if they have good traders.

I have taught prop traders and I know a few who throw in hedges at times, although thats not normally the way a prop shop works --- its mindset is usually much different, but if at the EOD there is profit from a trader, that trader remains to fight another day !

Equally well any monkey can click on the buy button to hedge a spread bet company's exposure and so it makes sense to use people who will require less pay to do this. Any SB company will get enough orders in that this can be a full time job for at least one person.

What i seem to have missed along the way is WHY is the sb entering ANY hedge ???
Its not normal business methodology !

I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one

first i think we need to know what terms of activity were actually talking about --- ive laid out how EVERY institution makes money, and while "hedging" can be a part of it when one speaks of nuts and bolts of the trading methods, its rare one gets that except in the field of "hedge" funds, IF THEY ARE STICKING TO THE ORIGINAL INTENT OF THE FUND, and not trying to become Morgan Stanlyey !
I run a nicely functioning hedge fund in ny state and would be very interested in seeing what im doing wrong

as i stated, i have missed WHY you speak of hedging so much ----- please explain what you mean as the markets will be opening soon, and i may drift away for a time !

mp

MP,

You are so wrong here in so many ways about so many things that I don't know where to start a reply!

And as for..

while the whole idea behind "reputation" points and "length of service and experience" titles for each poster is readily apparent (ie: those with MORE experience teach those with less !) one runs into these problems at times --- there will always be the 16 year old son who knows SO MUCH MORE than his father !

Let's get something clear - REPUTATION POINTS AND "LENGTH OF SERVICE AND EXPERIENCE" HAVE NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH A PERSONS TRADING ABILITY OR EVEN KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE!! They merely represent participation in an internet forum. Just because a person spends more time posting on this forum does not make what he has to say any more or less valuable.

MP,

You are so wrong here in so many ways about so many things that I don't know where to start a reply!

then do both of us a favor and dont reply ---- if im wrong and youre right, theres nothing to say, is there ?

And as for..

Let's get something clear - REPUTATION POINTS AND "LENGTH OF SERVICE AND EXPERIENCE" HAVE NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH A PERSONS TRADING ABILITY OR EVEN KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE!! They merely represent participation in an internet forum. Just because a person spends more time posting on this forum does not make what he has to say any more or less valuable.

while what you might say at first blush makes "some" sense, understand that if a person is posting crap, they will be stopped in some way by the mods --- since coming here, i was watched very carefully because i run a NYS registered financial holding company, and there was thoughts that i might be "recruiting" clients from this site, for which i had no desire and have long proven it, but the underlying process that occurs here is that one does NOT get reputation points unless what is being said is reputable --- usually those points come from the MOST EXPERIENCED posters on the site, which is a very self - regulating situation.

what you are doing is ARGUING --- it is apparent you do not desire information, but rather something "else", and while i can imagine what that "else" may be, there is no need for me to continue because there is no seriousness here !

its my time and i shall choose to waste it as i see fit, and i see no fit reason to waste it here any longer !

ty

mp

but the underlying process that occurs here is that one does NOT get reputation points unless what is being said is reputable --- usually those points come from the MOST EXPERIENCED posters on the site, which is a very self - regulating situation.

I disagree Mp. Cliquey groups form on this site and if one of their members insults a target the rest of the group gives him/her a rep. They are usually mindless comments which have nothing to do with trading either. Also, jokes and other non-trading posts earn reps. So coloured rep dots are an indication of how popular, funny, annoying, miserable, clever, irritating and experienced you are. Sometimes, on very rare occasions, they are even given for reputable trading advice.

I disagree Mp. Cliquey groups form on this site and if one of their members insults a target the rest of the group gives him/her a rep. They are usually mindless comments which have nothing to do with trading either. Also, jokes and other non-trading posts earn reps. So coloured rep dots are an indication of how popular, funny, annoying, miserable, clever, irritating and experienced you are. Sometimes, on very rare occasions, they are even given for reputable trading advice.
======================================================

considering then, the number of people i regularly insult and including the bannings i get for insulting the powers that be, aided by i havent a clue about cliques and would never become part of any that would have me as a member, and that i have never seen any points (which have not come easily) awarded me for humor or popularity, then i must indeed be doing something right !

come to think about it, now that you raise the query ---- my progress AGAINST the cliques and powers has been EXTREMELY difficult ---- perhaps, with all those disadvantages i carry around with me, some "reputable trading advice" may have eminated from within my aged mind !

enjoy and trade well

mp

mp,

Aspire is factually correct. You really don't know about spread betting and it is obvious to anyone who reads your posts on this matter. So don't chastise the man who actually knows what he is talking about in this case. There is nothing wrong with having the wrong idea about stuff, just realise when you are wrong and I know you are because I have been a spread bettor for years.

The reputation points don't mean very much. There are people who have lots of dots but can't trade to save their lives.

==========================================================
sorry NT but this answer seems to be to another post of yours, but if you work like mad, often you can do a 5 pip retrace with limits !

I missed this comment. This is my point. If you thought the market was going to retrace 5 pips, why not trade@market and take 5 pips? Why wait?

mp,

Aspire is factually correct. You really don't know about spread betting and it is obvious to anyone who reads your posts on this matter. So don't chastise the man who actually knows what he is talking about in this case. There is nothing wrong with having the wrong idea about stuff, just realise when you are wrong and I know you are because I have been a spread bettor for years.

and so scalper, does it appear that i have been also, but i will admit that we do live on opposite sides of the ocean, so there may indeed be some difference, but none of any real significance as concerning trading !

The reputation points don't mean very much. There are people who have lots of dots but can't trade to save their lives.

and here i thought people were learning from what i was speaking of, instead I was obviously doing a standup comedy routine, and the points were my payment ! Ah that i should have known and could have prepared a better routine !

mp

I missed this comment. This is my point. If you thought the market was going to retrace 5 pips, why not trade@market and take 5 pips? Why wait?
========================================================

i use a russian spreadbetter and slippage can be much too great if i execute at market

the russians (only based on my experiences with american brokers please understand) seem to be extremely nasty to retail clients, using all the "normal" methods to win.

my first russian broker used a delay on my connection (well, probably everyones connection) that enabled them to easily change their price if i did a market order, either on the entry or the exit, while my second one simply freezes the order untill the market drops enough !

thats why i use limits to exit (and often to enter)

before you ask why i stick with them, understand that i KNOW the games they play and therefore have no trouble working with them -- its the ones whose games you DONT know that are dangerous !

mp

========================================================

i use a russian spreadbetter

mp

I understood spreadbetting to be illegal for US residents residing in the US. Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

Your probably right peto

I understood spreadbetting to be illegal for US residents residing in the US. Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

Hi Peto

Good post, your probably right peto but its real hard to read the rules when you have your head up your own assssssssssssssssssss Holeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Have you not heard..................

Mp turns ~

water to wine

parts the red sea and orders the markets to turn on his command at some place called LRC ????????.......................:)

must be outside Moscow I guess

Last edited:
======================================================================

from what i understand, there is no UK spreadbetter who will allow me to trade, but the Russians are a very different breed --- gladly took my money, do my trades and give me back my profits (hopefully there IS profits)

appears to be something that pertains to differing countries or maybe because i pay taxes to the US

EDIT --- it could also be that my dealings with them are the same as with any american "broker", which handles money and your bets the same as youre spread betters --- we just call them brokers, pay taxes and everyones happy !

mp

Most people who today refer to scalping are not old enough to remember the 1 /16 era. Today the termis generally refering to short trades where you take out a few points ie: ten points and you are out looking for the next move.
My question is why bother making almost as much as the roker? Why not trade a slightly longer set up and take out a few more points.