Peter Hoadley Options Strategy Tool - Excel

Zambuck,

I think I bought an IV calculator some time ago (I don't use it). However, I know his software is highly regarded, especially for the cost.

I write my own programmes but would be only too happy to discuss any aspect of Hoadley's software.

Grant.

For my options management I use the hosted version of Reuters 3000xtra.
Can pull up a hosted Excel and reuters functions are all there to allow anybody to build a very comprehensive options managemnet tool. I could not do without it.

TWI,

“all there to allow anybody to build a very comprehensive options management tool”

For us mere mortals, Reuters is denied and represents decadence of the Gods.

Grant.

Thanks for comments chaps it is appreciated.....

Grantx....I have two things to consider.....First to learn about the Options trading....a small matter for some but a big one for me as I trade by purchasing shares upto a value of 20k at one time...and I am used to this method....I met a banker/trader recently and while chatting he suggested this method and I thought about it so I might concentrate on this one as well....

More importantly I need to be able to just understand the Software and how it works......How should I use it to make trading decisions etc........I do use Excel quite a lot though my programming capability in Excel is limited....

I downloaded the paid version and it is even more complex than the freebee version.....This software assumes that you know all about the Options trading and that one has a reasonable ability in using the Excel.....

Thanks for the suggestion TWI, but that version might be beyond me at this stage....BUt I have saved the link for future.....

Well there you are chaps these are the things I need to consider......I will be taking a very long time off to concentrate on this one.......

regards

Zam,

Options can be simple or complex. The assumption is the greater the complexity, the better. This isn’t necessarily so – complexity reflects complex expectations but not necessarily complex or profound thought.

Let’s take it a step or two at a time.

First, determine where your interests lie – indices, equities or both (I would suggest concentrate on one to start); US, UK, other.

Does your data source allow dde’s into Excel?

Grant.

Hi Grantx

My inclination was for shares rather then indices....shares I know and trade and hence somewhat easier to manage...

My sharescope does allow data to be linked via DDE and they provide a copy of Excel file prepared which one can manipulate.....Also Peter Hoadleys Excel files come ready linked with various WEB sources like yahoo, Moneyam etc....

See screen shot below......

Attachments

• Peter Hoadley Screen Shot.PNG
    Peter Hoadley Screen Shot.PNG
    158.4 KB · Views: 2,662
Zam,

What about option prices? I don't think they're available via Sharescope or Yahoo.

Grant.

Hi Grantx

Yes you are right......SS does not provide UK stock Option quotes....and these are the things I need to research, investigate and look at options pages on this site.......

I did look at Moneyam site and they do provide option data...
http://www.moneyam.com/worldmarkets/

Also following site...
http://www.euronext.com/trader/land...instrumentSubType=801&mep=7&futuresSelector=4

I understand that yahoo does provide UK stock future quotes.....I am not too sure about this one, but I would not rely on yahoo data....

Zam,

Moneyam show Euronext Equity and Index derivatives at $2 per month. 99% this isn’t London options.

LIFFE/Euronext provides delayed prices. These can be downloaded into Excel (I did this in the past) but the inconvenience is far outweighed by the simplicity and immediacy of proper data feed (and they do direct you to real-time providers).

Grant.

Thanks Grandx

I must look into this .....who do you know provides real time data for Options of stocks and indices..?....

I did check this but could not readily find a supplier.....

...I will need this data to be DDE linked to Excel and then via which I will be ablt to get that data onto Peter Hoadleys Software....

regards

Limits

Hello Grant
Is there any way to have more than 6 positions at a time analysed in Hoadley?

David(fleettrader)

Zambuck,

I think I bought an IV calculator some time ago (I don't use it). However, I know his software is highly regarded, especially for the cost.

I write my own programmes but would be only too happy to discuss any aspect of Hoadley's software.

Grant.