Over sensitive brand new optical mouse

You don't need filth to make a mouse work! You need a matt finish, not a varnished table. If the surface is at all refelective, you'll get exactly the problem you described, including the pointer moving by itself. Even some mouse mats are shiney. Try it on either newspaper or a sheet of ordinary A4 paper.

Good points!

I'm going to try sanding the varnish off the mouse area of my desk. Hope it helps.

Also using a new multimedia keyboard. So much for this type of junk - the bloody space bar only works when it wants to! I've noticed this problem when using other computers with fancy(ish) multimedia keyboards. My 5yo basic keyboard works better.

Don't get me wrong - I do exactly the same, but would you ever advise anyone trading £10000's a day to do it with £10-worth of kit from China off Ebay?

Don't get me wrong - I do exactly the same, but would you ever advise anyone trading £10000's a day to do it with £10-worth of kit from China off Ebay?

No!

but then my middle name is ebeneezer ;):!:

Fortunately I live near Tottenham Court Road in London so I don't go near eBay for my kit.

Anyway it's all commoditized these days, so if you're paying extra for something fancy, then you're paying a company who bought it cheap on ebay from China and then stuck labels on it.

How about buying yourself a nice new mouse mat, ideally you should make it a black one? :)

HTH

M

Bought a soft surfaced mouse mat from poundland. Seems to have helped a bit. Decent size mat also, though a bit thin. But they all seem thin these days. Shame i had to buy one, as i've thrown loads away in the past!

My new desk is even more varnishy than the old one, so needed something to steady the ship.