Optiver

goodge

Hi All,
I had the tests in London and passed them. I've now been invited to Amsterdam.
Is thee anyone who knows what kid of contract they offer, not just in terms sof salary, and what's thee culture of the firm, especially in Amsterdam, and the atmosphere, the firm'health.... I was told thet they offer a basic 6 months contract without no competition clause, and then the contract is confirmed indefinetely. Can anyone tell me what kind of interview I could have in Amsterdam, they told me is more motivational than technical.
Thanks to al the people who can give me some more insight.
Goodge

Last edited:
goodge said:
Hi All,
I had the tests in London and passed them. I've now been invited to Amsterdam.
Is thee anyone who knows what kid of contract they offer, not just in terms sof salary, and what's thee culture of the firm, especially in Amsterdam, and the atmosphere, the firm'health.... I was told thet they offer a basic 6 months contract without no competition clause, and then the contract is confirmed indefinetely. Can anyone tell me what kind of interview I could have in Amsterdam, they told me is more motivational than technical.
Thanks to al the people who can give me some more insight.
Goodge
congrats!! once you passed the test you have to do something pretty bad not to get the job.
a friend started there a few years back and the standard was - basic salary (v.basic ), bonus based largely on company performance, s-t contract to be confirmed after 6 mths. once confirmed you have a 1-yr non-compete. great company, bags of talent
good luck

Congratulation man, sorry I can't answer your questions but given that I'll be going to Amsterdam to take the tests next week I would really appreciate if you could tell me with some detail how the tests were. The three if possible.

1st : 80 basic questions in 8 minutes. -1 for any wrong answer and skipped question (if you answer 70 question, the last 10 questions are not taken into account; you need to answer the questions in the order they are given, you can't pick the ones you like). Pass mark was 53, they said that just the 8% of people manage to pass it
2nd: 40 question in 12 minutes, slightly more complicated than the previous ones. Pass mark is 32 (the score is calculated as in the 1st test)
3rd: 26 numerical series in 30 minutes something like -5 -4 0....with multiple answers. Pass mark is 20, skipped questions don't count
If yo are fast in algebra there is no problem.

chickelian said:
Congratulation man, sorry I can't answer your questions but given that I'll be going to Amsterdam to take the tests next week I would really appreciate if you could tell me with some detail how the tests were. The three if possible.

goodge said:
1st : 80 basic questions in 8 minutes. -1 for any wrong answer and skipped question (if you answer 70 question, the last 10 questions are not taken into account; you need to answer the questions in the order they are given, you can't pick the ones you like). Pass mark was 53, they said that just the 8% of people manage to pass it
2nd: 40 question in 12 minutes, slightly more complicated than the previous ones. Pass mark is 32 (the score is calculated as in the 1st test)
3rd: 26 numerical series in 30 minutes something like -5 -4 0....with multiple answers. Pass mark is 20, skipped questions don't count
If yo are fast in algebra there is no problem.

Thanks goodge, I really appreciate the insight given. Just two things:
1. Is it then optimal to answer just 69 questions?
2. Could you be more specific about the numerical series. Is it pattern recognition?
Thanks in advance,
CH

No, for example if you answer 53 questions, the remaining don't count. However, tey must be all right to pass (if the pass mark is 53)
Yes it's pattern recognition, not particularly difficult (I mean there is enough time!).
Goodge

chickelian said:
Thanks goodge, I really appreciate the insight given. Just two things:
1. Is it then optimal to answer just 69 questions?
2. Could you be more specific about the numerical series. Is it pattern recognition?
Thanks in advance,
CH

Things didn't go my way in Amsterdam. I failed and by far. Would have really liked to join them. Thanks for your insights. I am just going to continue my quest towards becoming a trader. The road doesn't stop here.

optiver test

Hello,

Do you have to calculate all the stuff on the spot inside your head, or are u allowed to write something down on paper too, to aid in the calculations???

thnx

You are definitely allowed to write on paper but if you do that just means you are not fast enough. In order to succed you need to be extremely fast. Practice adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing decimals mentally, as well as fractions. Practice the numbers used on stock quotations such as 1/8, 1/16, 1/32. Have in mind that you need around 54 good responses in 8 minutes so you should be able to calculate each question in around 8 seconds. Once again, the only difficulty of the test is the time constraint, but believe me if I tell you that to pass you have to be fast. Best of luck

Camilo

netinho said:
Hello,

Do you have to calculate all the stuff on the spot inside your head, or are u allowed to write something down on paper too, to aid in the calculations???

thnx

chickelian said:
You are definitely allowed to write on paper but if you do that just means you are not fast enough. In order to succed you need to be extremely fast. Practice adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing decimals mentally, as well as fractions. Practice the numbers used on stock quotations such as 1/8, 1/16, 1/32. Have in mind that you need around 54 good responses in 8 minutes so you should be able to calculate each question in around 8 seconds. Once again, the only difficulty of the test is the time constraint, but believe me if I tell you that to pass you have to be fast. Best of luck

Camilo

You don't have to be fast, you have to be fookin fast....but any idiot can do that....

Things didn't go my way in Amsterdam. I failed and by far. Would have really liked to join them. Thanks for your insights. I am just going to continue my quest towards becoming a trader. The road doesn't stop here.

hey, greeting from holland :clap:

I read a post which is about you did a test in Optiver amsterdam. Would you like to share your experience with me about what type of question you are asked for the 3 stages test?? thank you very much in advance (y)

I have just been invited to take their tests in London at the end of Jan! Don't think I have a real shot, but will try none the less. I have emailed the recruiter, and she has assured me around 40 people have been invited to take the test 'but don't worry, we do need a lot of new traders'.

The tests are described by email as below:

Since having excellent numerical skills is one of the most important requirements in becoming a Trader with Optiver we would like to ask you to participate in our numerical test meeting. During this meeting we will assess your numerical skills by numeral testing.

The test meeting is as follows:
Test 1. Mental arithmetic - 8 min.
Test 2. Numerical sequences - 30 min.
Test 3. Mental arithmetic - 10 min.

However the first test is decisive. Only if you pass test number 1 you can continue with test number 2 and 3. In relation to our company policy you can participate in our test session just once.

Hello,

I have been invited to take the tests in London. How could I train myself to enhance my chances ?

Thanks

Hi guys, does Optiver opperate in London as a trading firm? Also, they mention Wholesale trading, that would be Prop trading, not market making, am i correct to assume that?

Hi

Is business attire required for the test meeting? Do you have to take a pen and note paper for yourself? Thanks

Hi!

I have a phone interview with optiver for a wholesale trader position.

Would you please give me some tips?

Thanks you very much