Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Madness, money could be better spent

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Who gives a ****

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

wasp

Legendary member
Lets face it, with the handover happening on a bus to Boris Johnson and talk of morris dancers, we are going to probably make fools of ourselves.

I think, in my humble opinion, that since the Olympics are meant to represent world unity, Boris and Gordon should start the ball rolling for the world and say no to an opening ceremony, and give the allocated 9 billion pounds purely to charities nationwide and globally and really unite the world.

Instead of a ceremony, we could have a choir of the houses of parliament singing the national anthem(!) and really make 2012 stand out by spending (all!) the money on everything from Surfers against Sewage to protect our coastlines and to Cancer trusts all the way to providing water so people in Africa can live another day whilst we sit around and drink **** all day without a second thought.

It is such a waste of money.

Not to worry it's not actual physical money. That makes up a tiny piece of Willy Wonga's Wedge Factory. Todays its all creditised into thin air. The push of a few buttons and hey presto. £9 Billion Pounds appears in an account.

Waste of money and I'm dreading it. I know a couple of girls who will most likely be competing so I'll probably be dragged into watching some of it.

Wish politicans would grow some balls and say it's a load of ****e.

I've watched a moderate amount of olympic action up until this wednesday, and then i started to get a bit fed up of it tbh.

Its a waste of cash for a 16 day anti-climax, that 300,000 Beijing residents were evicted from their homes to make way for the building works.

The winning athlete's are then proclaimed as super hero's and role models, when the truth is, they are often anything but.

I think seeing all these super-fit athletes on display is likely to have a negative effect on much of the population, just like girls fashion magazines, giving the viewer false impressions of realistically attainable body shapes etc. Basically making a lot of people feel like fat useless lazy slobs!

Still, i've enjoyed watching the track sprints, Micheal Phelps achievements, and the basketball. I've also enjoyed watching some of the velodrome cycling, but i haven't got a clue whats happening! you'd think they might explain the rules every now and again maybe.

JT what cash ? The planet run out of physical hard currency years ago, its all creditised into thin air. As I can type 9,000,000,000.00 then if someone pledges to sign for that debt then some banker transfers those digits into another account.

So what cash ? LOL it doesn't exist does it ? Its all fantasy cash lala land. In fact why not get them to spend £9,000,000,000,000,.00 (9 trillion on it ? ) may as well what does it matter when its just pushing buttons ?

JT what cash ? The planet run out of physical hard currency years ago, its all creditised into thin air. As I can type 9,000,000,000.00 then if someone pledges to sign for that debt then some banker transfers those digits into another account.

So what cash ? LOL it doesn't exist does it ? Its all fantasy cash lala land. In fact why not get them to spend £9,000,000,000,000,.00 (9 trillion on it ? ) may as well what does it matter when its just pushing buttons ?

I know what you mean yes. Banks create money out of thin air. I know how it works. But still, it is the people of London & UK who will be footing the bill.

But even so, why not build 20 hospitals or spend it on improving school facilities across the country, and have the ******* olympics in athens or beijing evey 4 years, if they did such great jobs.
Yes the legacy is world class sporting facilities that a few will get to enjoy, but i bet a lot of the public money disappears through creative accountancy misdemeanours etc.

I agree that there are better things to spend the money on than a lavish opening ceremony which would be inappropriate for London 2012. There's no way we can possibly compete with the extravaganza laid on by the Chinese. Indeed, it would be sheer folly to even try. However, the games themselves I've enjoyed hugely and I look forward to four years time when we host them. It's been great to watch or listen to the news and hear about the daily conflicts and dramas from the olympic stadia; very welcome respite from the horrendous conflicts of Iraq, Afghanistan and Georgia etc.
Tim.

There's no way we can possibly compete with the extravaganza laid on by the Chinese.

I think there is. How about we blow the Sh!t out of the Houses of Parliament? Sort Guy Fawkes part deaux. KA WooomphhHHH BOOOOOOOM!

The explosion was so great,so bright ,that it could be seen on a Jupiter Forecourt Burger Station. It really is a remarkable sight for the whole of the inter stella community to behold. Let the London 2012 Olympics begin. If only when we can locate London after this extraordinary extravagance of ordnance of Olympic magnitude and proportion.

yeah we just flatten it as we are gonna be ruled BY EU anyhow, which is an act of treason against the sovereign head of this land apparently.

Well thats the best idea I can think of at this time.

:cheesy:

I'm always surprised by the short sightedness of many of my fellow Brits. Imagine being upset about spending less than 1% of 1% of annual GDP on a once in a generation extravaganza that focuses, very unusually, on the strongest and most able in our society.
I believe that a nation’s level of civilisation can be measured by its treatment of its weakest members. Hence the £100 billion spent every year on the NHS, the billions spent on social security for the sick, lame and lazy and the billions spent on education to ensure the youth can keep us in our dotage. As a hard working high rate tax payer, I’m the chap who picks up the bill.
Every now and then I want to be rewarded with something that catches my imagination. Some celebration of greatness. A focus on what’s great about mankind. An Olympics fits the bill, as does CERN, British involvement in Space and other cutting edge activities. Our nation of shopkeepers is sometimes so tight, so cheap that it is quite extraordinary. For goodness sake, give me a firework or two in 2012, I deserve it!

FYI: Tickets go on sale in 2011

I imagine a couple of tickets to the opening ceremony, after the precedence set by the Chinese, will undo knicker elastic at 100 paces.