Odd InterbankFX price bars

lhookway

Hi there,

I have noticed some strange bars with IBFX that look suspiciously like "stop hunting" and I would appreciate feedback from any forex gurus out there to see what your take is on this. This is just one example I have found with InterbankFX, there are others.

IBFX's server is UTC(0) and the chart/times in question is GBPUSD M1 at 21:06 and 21:12 on 6th October 2008, see attached files IBFX-Live.jpg and IBFX-Demo.jpg for the screenshots.

For comparisson I have attached screenshots for Alpari and FXDD.

Alpari's servers are UTC(+2) so the times in question for Alpari are 23:06 and 23:12 on 6th October 2008, see attached file Alpari.jpg.

FXDD's servers are UTC(+3) so the times in question for FXDD are 00:06 and 00:12 on 7th October 2008, see attached file FXDD.jpg.

If you look at the IBFX-Live.jpg and IBFX-Demo.jpg screenshots you will see that at 21:06 there is a massive spike low of 1.7396 and it closes on this low. The open for this bar was 1.7450 and the volume was only 8. In effecta spike down of 54 pips on just 8 volume.

The very next bar at 21:07 opens at 1.7442 an immediate spike up of 46 pips which seems volatile in the extreme.

The IBFX-Demo screenshot shows these same volatile spikes as IBFX-Live.

However looking at Alpari and FXDD for the exact same period they show none of this extreme price movement, see accompanying screenshots.

If this just the way forex pricing works in practice or is it indicative of something else going on?

Regards,

Laurence.

Attachments

• IBFX-Live.jpg
    IBFX-Live.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 1,005
  • IBFX-Demo,.jpg
    IBFX-Demo,.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 996
  • Alpari.jpg
    Alpari.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 371
  • FXDD.jpg
    FXDD.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 854
Hi there,

I have noticed some strange bars with IBFX that look suspiciously like "stop hunting" and I would appreciate feedback from any forex gurus out there to see what your take is on this. This is just one example I have found with InterbankFX, there are others.

IBFX's server is UTC(0) and the chart/times in question is GBPUSD M1 at 21:06 and 21:12 on 6th October 2008, see attached files IBFX-Live.jpg and IBFX-Demo.jpg for the screenshots.

For comparisson I have attached screenshots for Alpari and FXDD.

Alpari's servers are UTC(+2) so the times in question for Alpari are 23:06 and 23:12 on 6th October 2008, see attached file Alpari.jpg.

FXDD's servers are UTC(+3) so the times in question for FXDD are 00:06 and 00:12 on 7th October 2008, see attached file FXDD.jpg.

If you look at the IBFX-Live.jpg and IBFX-Demo.jpg screenshots you will see that at 21:06 there is a massive spike low of 1.7396 and it closes on this low. The open for this bar was 1.7450 and the volume was only 8. In effecta spike down of 54 pips on just 8 volume.

The very next bar at 21:07 opens at 1.7442 an immediate spike up of 46 pips which seems volatile in the extreme.

The IBFX-Demo screenshot shows these same volatile spikes as IBFX-Live.

However looking at Alpari and FXDD for the exact same period they show none of this extreme price movement, see accompanying screenshots.

If this just the way forex pricing works in practice or is it indicative of something else going on?

Regards,

Laurence.

this is due to the fact that the price feed supplier is widening the spread, and interbank is trying to adjust the bid and offer to their fixed spread.

It is just goes wrong :p, then what they do is trying to get prices from Bloomberg graph and synch their graphs....

this is due to the fact that the price feed supplier is widening the spread, and interbank is trying to adjust the bid and offer to their fixed spread.

It is just goes wrong :p, then what they do is trying to get prices from Bloomberg graph and synch their graphs....

I expect that I will switch to a broker that provides more sensible quotes then. Although one must expect price spikes from time to time it has been my observation that InterbankFX's price spikes are the most extreme of any broker I have seen.

Regards,

Laurence.

I've personally seen spikes of over 1000 pips on IBFX, at odd market times (meaning, no conceivable market impetus for the moves) and have screenshots of many of them. Also been witness to rhythmic, multiple spikes of 30-40 pips during Asian session on majors (GPB/USD a dozen times in one evening, down to the GMT open and back). As I say, and have said a few times now in the Brokers forums here, IBFX will surprise you and if surprises aren't your cup of tea then look elsewhere. After those and other (numerous) experiences with that broker, I'm no longer seeking "perfect" but merely less-imperfect which should be easy to find!