Mutual fund database help

sambinho

Hello chaps,

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum but i'll ask here anyway;

I'm trying to find a website/database that will allow me to track mutual funds on a quarterly basis with some specific ideas in mind.

Basically I'm looking for mutual funds whose volatility is more or less equal to or less than the S&P 500 index (or perhaps FTSE for UK funds), and determine from the performance tables which funds have shown performance results over the past three months that rank in the upper 10% of all the mutual funds matching that volatility criteria.

Unfortunately I haven't found yahoo finance to be particularly helpful in this respect, although perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello chaps,

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum but i'll ask here anyway;

I'm trying to find a website/database that will allow me to track mutual funds on a quarterly basis with some specific ideas in mind.

Basically I'm looking for mutual funds whose volatility is more or less equal to or less than the S&P 500 index (or perhaps FTSE for UK funds), and determine from the performance tables which funds have shown performance results over the past three months that rank in the upper 10% of all the mutual funds matching that volatility criteria.

Unfortunately I haven't found yahoo finance to be particularly helpful in this respect, although perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Sounds like you've read Gerald Appel's book!

Try www.trustnet.com and then go to the unit trust 'Prices and Performance' section. Unfortunately it doesn't offer the ability to rank by volatility, but what you can do is rank by 3-mth performance and then click on each fund where volatility figures are given.

Thanks to everyone who replied, much appreciated. :)

Jack o'Clubs, that's the sort of thing i'm after! And yes, I have read Gerald Appel's book - very good it is, too.

By the way, you can speed it up a bit by selecting 'RiskGrade' to be displayed in the table. Anything under about 65 is likely to have similar volatility to the market, and then you can then look at the individual funds to check the detailed vol. stats. Saves wading through loads of emerging market funds that have Molatov cocktail type volatility on the off-chance that one might be conservatively managed.