Microsoft AntiSpyware software launched

I should think it was gcasServ.exe - a feature of Giant AntiSpyware (which is now the M$ product).

So yes, S&D has probably blocked it. You'll need to do a system restore back to yesterday, unload spybot S&D and then install the M$ one, and then Spybot S&D again. Either that, or try unloading S&D first (including Tea Timer if you have that installed)

i have both running simultaneously...Spybot usually asks if you willl allow a change....might be best to uninstall and try reinstalling

I haven't got Spybot in front of me but I think there's a facility in "Advanced" to allow it.

I run both MS anti-spyware and Spybot S&D, there doesn't seem to be a conflict that I can see, though the MS product refuses to update the definitions file, it says it is down loading and then installing a new definitions file but when you try to update again after it has completed it tells you is is downloading and installing the same definitions file it does this over and over.
My other pc which does not have Spybot installed seems to be updating MS ok.

Windows Defender

The Microsoft SpyWare protection utility has been rebranded as
Microsoft Windows Defender - and they have been making it better and better. Infact i dont need to use anything else anymore. and its free.
they would just include it in XP but they get accused of monopolising the market by "bundling software together"

so this means that we have to click and download it ourselves.
life's tough sometimes.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

willlmanders said:
The Microsoft SpyWare protection utility has been rebranded as
Microsoft Windows Defender - and they have been making it better and better. Infact i dont need to use anything else anymore. and its free.
they would just include it in XP but they get accused of monopolising the market by "bundling software together"

so this means that we have to click and download it ourselves.
life's tough sometimes.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Get a Mac...... :cheesy: