max bars back

jimmy1

i have ts 2000i prosuite,
when i do my strategies the normally default is 50 bars back is this good for intrday systems or does one need to move it to alot less or move bars back?

It depends on the interval that you are using and how far back your study needs to go. I have one that is set to 1 minute and I have set the bars back to 390 ie, the whole trading day which is 6.5 hours.

Paul

Trader333 said:
It depends on the interval that you are using and how far back your study needs to go. I have one that is set to 1 minute and I have set the bars back to 390 ie, the whole trading day which is 6.5 hours.

Paul
so your study looks only on a day by day so you will not catch the intrday sweeps to take small pieces out of the market

Sorry you have lost me ? I use a number of things to alert me to potential setups but I trade intra-day only and each day one of the studies I use is only applicable for the day being traded. It is not the only study I use and some bridge more than 1 day.

Paul

Trader333 said:
Sorry you have lost me ? I use a number of things to alert me to potential setups but I trade intra-day only and each day one of the studies I use is only applicable for the day being traded. It is not the only study I use and some bridge more than 1 day.

Paul

hi paul
i trade the dax mainly and will use a strategy using say moving averages on 1 1 minute bar, but i will set the max bars back to 10 so it is only interested in the last 10 bars of information thus trying to look at what the motion is now and the last 10 minutes rather than the whole day etc so it climatises to now rather than maybe 5 hours ago, just looking to see what people think and yours is good as it gives me another view that maybe i should look at longer term cycles and not just very recent ones?

You need to set max bars back large enough to encompass the largest lookback parameter of your study or you will find that the study will be turned off. .

twalker said:
You need to set max bars back large enough to encompass the largest lookback parameter of your study or you will find that the study will be turned off. .
hi twalker,
hope your doing well,
i have a strategy with 3 sets of parameters each paramaeter has a range of about 50
so 1 parameter may be testing variation of settings from 30-80 the next 20-70 and then 1-50 so i assume i would need 50 as my setting?

No, you need a setting greater than 80. Assuming the values that are varying 30-80 refer to something that looks back that many bars such as an MA or RSI or other indicator. If you were looking back 100 days at a 20 day RSI for exmple you would need a 120 setting.

Apologies, but I am really not trying to disrupt this thread or deliberately make a funny. But I think all this staring at the screen has affected my eyesight. I clicked on thinking I had read:

"Mars Bars Back"

I'm not lying! And expected to read some witty comment about a certain singer wrapped in a fur rug. Oh, dear. I'll go now. Try and find my level...

Just to clarify (if needed): the MaxBarsBack is the maximum number of bars back that the EasyLanguage code will refer to at any time during the chart. For example if you have a strategy with a simple moving average of 50 bars then you will need 50 bars of data before you could calculate a valid value. You will then notice that the strategy doesn't actually start working until after that number of bars has passed but once they have it will calculate for every bar. If you have a strategy with multiple parameters that you are optimising over then you nee the MBB value to equal the largest lookback that will be required during the optimisation.

> If you were looking back 100 days at a 20 day RSI for exmple you would need a 120 setting.

Not quite sure what you mean here as a 20 day RSI is only looking back 20 days. Unless you are meaning that you want to refer within the EasyLanguage code to a 20 period RSI value that occurred 100 days ago, in which case you would indeed need to have 120 bar MBB setting.

Hope this helps

Well I was just trying to explain what you said in your first paragraph but didn't do quite such a good job. If you had a 100 period MA of a 20 day RSI you would need to look back 120 days as day 1 of RSI MA would need to look back 20 days from that point to get first RSI value.

twalker said:
Well I was just trying to explain what you said in your first paragraph but didn't do quite such a good job. If you had a 100 period MA of a 20 day RSI you would need to look back 120 days as day 1 of RSI MA would need to look back 20 days from that point to get first RSI value.

ok i get it, just breaking it all down as i normally just back test on the previous days data for my next days set-up for some models