Is R:R ratio killing my edge?

Widen your stop.

Stop placement is a fine balance. You have to find a place which offers a good compromise between giving away too much profit (wider stop) and being stopped out prematurely (tighter stop). There is no perfect solution.

One other point. Why are you using a Target Stop?

But I have to secure 100 points I meant to gain while entering the trade. Now I am making on the top of it, no?
I admit that the target stop in this case is a nonsense whatsoever... I ve just cancelled it :LOL:

But I have to secure 100 points I meant to gain while entering the trade. Now I am making on the top of it, no?
I admit that the target stop in this case is a nonsense whatsoever... I ve just cancelled it :LOL:

Apologies, as its still early for me but what do you mean " I have to secure 100 points"?

Apologies, as its still early for me but what do you mean " I have to secure 100 points"?

1:1 R:R, my s/l was 100 points away from entry initially, I almost never see it making 2:1, so I prefer at this point (while I am still learning) to at least break even.

1:1 R:R, my s/l was 100 points away from entry initially, I almost never see it making 2:1, so I prefer at this point (while I am still learning) to at least break even.

One can make a good living trading a 1:1 R:R if (and ONLY if) one has a high win rate. However, IMO you should be looking to achieve a better R:R. Accepting 1:1 whilst you are "learning" just so that you can "break-even" is totally the wrong attitude.

Now trying to achieve a more favourable R:R (such as 2:1 or greater) is going to be difficult for you when you use such a wide stop of 100.

Let me give you some good advice. ALWAYS try to find a LOW RISK Entry. If you have to give a trade so much wiggle room by using a wide stop to avoid being stopped out then your entry is less than perfect !!!

Find low-risk setups and you will suddenly see your R:R move very favourably for you.

Find low-risk setups and you will suddenly see your R:R move very favourably for you.

:)
still trying to find them - entering on pullbacks, dips - but is often kinda hard not to get sucked in .... thanks for advice... I am sure it will improve my trading a lot....

blancspa, you are being given bad advice, most of it from system traders...surprise...surprise...:rolleyes:

blancspa, you are being given bad advice, most of it from system traders...surprise...surprise...:rolleyes:

Your efforts are wasted here New_Trader, and quite honestly I don't know why you bother, given all the stick you get.

Where you are today in trading is a reflection of where you are in life. It's all a package, you cannot choose the trading aspect of it to work unless you have sorted out your life first.

In your case, you have sorted out your life. Your trading now reflects that.

The people you tend to advise have no idea where they are, where they are going and what the purpose of it all is. In fact, they won't have a clue of what the hell I'm talking about.

Their package has so far followed totally a different route to yours. They won't get it. Don't waste your time.

And all that is God's wish. You shouldn't attempt to change the natural order. There is only one cheetah for every 100 antelopes, one human for million insects. There is one trader who knows the truth, for every 10,000 failures. All this is for good reasons. There is a design behind all this.

If the natural order gets upset, the ecology goes belly up and the world as we know it won't exist. Imagine if the majority or even a significant minority of traders in the market were to actually understand how the market works. Do you really think there would still be a viable market?

All these sticks you get is just a message. They don't want to hear you, and I'd agree. You shouldn't try.

:-0
NOOOO!!!!! Never, ever, ever do that! :mad:

New trader,

You make me chuckle. You're taken just one of my comments (out of my last 3-4 posts) and re-posted it in isolation. Personally I think my overall message in my last few posts is good advice.... but clearly you don't agree.........

As a side note, I used to trade in a discretionary manner a few years ago but now trade my own mechanical systems, so yes I am now a "system trader". However, Personally I believe that there is a lot of common cross-over between trading styles such as finding Low Risk Set-ups and understanding good money management practices.

But as you seem to disagree with my overall advice so much, please feel free to offer something instead.....

Last edited:
take care of your entries and success% and r/r ratio will take care of tehmselves