Investing in best performing stocks in best performing industries?

pirx

Hi!

Last month´s top performing industry was "Internet Service Providers" and if I could find it´s three top performing stocks for that period, would´nt those stocks be a good short-term investment candidates? Just wondering...

Is anyone here who is investing like this or made any testing with this approach? Seems like a logical option to try.

I would appreciate any insights on this subject! Thanks!

Henrik

pirx said:
Hi!

Last month´s top performing industry was "Internet Service Providers" and if I could find it´s three top performing stocks for that period, would´nt those stocks be a good short-term investment candidates? Just wondering...

Is anyone here who is investing like this or made any testing with this approach? Seems like a logical option to try.

I would appreciate any insights on this subject! Thanks!

Henrik

Oh Henrik that's a great idea! But.......if were that easy then wouldn't every body would be doing it?

When I started trading, I traded equities with ETRADE and found their site quite useful for info
http://clearstation.etrade.com/cgi-bin/Itechnicals?Cmd=&Sector=0

rols said:
But.......if were that easy then wouldn't every body would be doing it?

When I started trading, I traded equities with ETRADE and found their site quite useful for info
http://clearstation.etrade.com/cgi-bin/Itechnicals?Cmd=&Sector=0

That is exactly what I am asking myself and trying to find out :)

To identify industry leaders, I use Prophet.net But I don´t know how to find best performing stocks under particular industry with corresponding time frame. (best industry in the last month / best three industry stocks in the last month)

Yahoo! offers something like that, but it lists top stocks with just intra-day price performances.

BigCharts has also something similar, but Prophet´s industry list is somewhat more detailed.

Btw, thanks for the link, I believe it´s going to be useful to me.

pirx said:
That is exactly what I am asking myself and trying to find out :)

To identify industry leaders, I use Prophet.net But I don´t know how to find best performing stocks under particular industry with corresponding time frame. (best industry in the last month / best three industry stocks in the last month)

Yahoo! offers something like that, but it lists top stocks with just intra-day price performances.

BigCharts has also something similar, but Prophet´s industry list is somewhat more detailed.

Btw, thanks for the link, I believe it´s going to be useful to me.
As far as I can ascertain there isn't any facility publicly available as you describe

You just have to do the number crunch manually by tabulation to achieve it.

Keep an ordered log in alphabetical order of the stocks that interest you and review them with a daily analysis.

Not difficult ...just a need to update every day, that's all.

Hi Pirx,

Have you ever looked at Wordens TC2000 (or 2006 as it is now). For not very many $ a month you get the most comprehensive list of stocks, ETFs, Indicies etc that I have come across. Everything is sorted into Sectors, Industries and Groups and you can scan any one of these against anything else. It should be fairly straight forward to find the sort of stocks you are looking for. Its fairly easy to use as well and you can update it intra-day. I reckon its a bargain.

For all you cynics please note I'm not on commisions, just trying to help.

Regards MarkB

Thanks for the answers. For starters, I´ll conduct some testing with the use of sites mentioned in earlier posts. If it turns out to yield above average results, I´ll try the TC2000 for a better overview.