IG Market Trading Platform (Not Recommended)

Think you right Gamma. But this raises issues of taxation etc. I got account with IB I don't use and often ask myself why. I think the answer is, I know IG's platform so well and am so comfortable with it. Making a move to dma is (for me) a big step in my trading. One I know I should do but ............ 'better the devil you know?' Then back to tax. For trading 10 to 20 a point (or less obviously) retail trader sb makes sense so long as it stays tax free.

Suggestion; why not open a demo account that gets you Meta trader and run it alongside your current activity?

I don't believe the conspiracy theories about SB firms hunting stops - they don't have to, as someone said above, the market is constantly doing that anyway, especially around significant round numbers. Its bad trading to get caught around these.

However, anyone can be caught out by a crashed platform - or your own PC crashes. My recommendation would be to have a second SB account as a back-up so that if you're in a position you can't close, at least you can open an opposing position through your back-up account. A much better use of time and resources than chasing the FSA.

You need to understand how IG makes money

Okay couple of points everyone here seems to be missing.

1. When you place a trade you are not betting with IG you are betting with another participant on the market and not IG.
2. IG do not give a damn whether your stop is activated or not as they have a perfect hedge by buying the physical. Essentially they have limited risk on the trade.
3. IG make commision of you dealing on the spread and not from a profit/loss on the trade. They just want you to deal as often as possible.
4. The actual trade taking place behind the scenes is a equity swap which as stated earlier is hedged perfectly.

Okay couple of points everyone here seems to be missing.

1. When you place a trade you are not betting with IG you are betting with another participant on the market and not IG.
2. IG do not give a damn whether your stop is activated or not as they have a perfect hedge by buying the physical. Essentially they have limited risk on the trade.
3. IG make commision of you dealing on the spread and not from a profit/loss on the trade. They just want you to deal as often as possible.
4. The actual trade taking place behind the scenes is a equity swap which as stated earlier is hedged perfectly.

Err,
I don't think so, most of the members on this thread are aware of the above.

Err,
I don't think so, most of the members on this thread are aware of the above.

REALLY so why are people stating that IG are trying to activate stops by moving the prices towards the stops. Why the heck would they want to activate a stop? What difference does it make to them.

Probably more conspiracy stuff thrown about to justify why people lose when trading/gambling. Easier to blame the spreadbetter than take responsibility for trading performance.

I read an article (from somewhere on these boards) about CMC or IG asking some mathmo's from oxbridge to analyse trading behaviour from it's client base. The result allegedly was that no predominant pattern emerged - basically it was all noise.

They don't need to tilt the field and go stop hunting when so many people "trade" so badly.

Money for old rope for them.

REALLY so why are people stating that IG are trying to activate stops by moving the prices towards the stops. Why the heck would they want to activate a stop? What difference does it make to them.

Yes yes!
you are quite right! there are some brilliant traders about, trading massive stakes like 1 pound a point and ig use they massive financial might, to to rid them of their money by employing all sorts of devious underhand methods at their disposal.

Yes yes!
you are quite right! there are some brilliant traders about, trading massive stakes like 1 pound a point and ig use they massive financial might, to to rid them of their money by employing all sorts of devious underhand methods at their disposal.

I would not even be certain that IG would know if the stops were limit stops or stop/stop. open stops open/open stops, pyramiding entries or whatever and after the 1st hour would not gave two hoots so long as they were paid the salaries.

For every one taking a loss at a stupidly placed stop, some other more wise person playing a better game, like me!, would be opening a position, or the even wiser person still, just taking the profits.

I believe that the marketmakers can calculate where the stops are and spike the prices through that zone. That is not to say that they will push the prices too far but, certainly up to 15-20 points on a daily basis, at some time or other. The SBs don't have to do anything, do they? Just go along with a market that does it for them.

No one can convince me that the sophisticated software is not around to work out the standard deviations of stop positions! It isn't necessary to spy on all the accounts.

What the trader has to do is devise a method to get around that, if he can, but most of us are no match for a very professional and efficient system.

Seriouly Splitlink you need to get some decent sleep. 5.03 am!

The time to watch ig is at 8pm when the daily positions are closed, this is the time when all aggregate positions are calculated if you are unlucky enough to be close to their closing position you might get caught in the net.

Listen, Buster, I'm in the gym by 0610, done my 50 pressups by 0700, home, breakfast and ready for action by 0800.

You young fellows, these days!

It's not quite as bad as that, though. I'm on CET

Ah! That makes sense,
That definately puts me to shame then as I am 2 hrs ahead of GMT
I think 8 am is a good time to wake up in any time zone really. Its duke's morning walk that takes up a lot of my time the little bugger has to greet or growl at every dog and cat we encounter.

I use IG most days and have few problems. Unless you trade more than say £20 a point they unlikely to play games. However, remember they are bookies and you are gambling against them. By telling them went to enter your trade and when to exit it the odds very much in their favour, not to mention the spread !! I use orders to open but not stop losses any more - do that manually - might be more dangerous but can only get stopped out when I ready not IG.

If you think IG bad try some others you could be in for a shock.

SHOW ME THE PIPS )tITs(