IG Index Wall Street Options query !

dowsp

Hi,

Its been quite a long time since I visited the T2W forum...and I am a bit disappointed that I get the impression that its activity overall is seeming quite a lot less to what it once used to be, Maybe or probably that its down to sign of the times due to finance cost of living crisis or harder times that fewer people are able or willing to risk trading.

I am NOT sure where I should post this query as when I look Certain parts of the forum seem to have little regular updated content..
but my post could come under either Options trading, or Spread betting or ref to Spread bet companies like IG Index or maybe Futures Stock Index Markets.

I dont think many members may trade Stock Index Options on spread betting such as with IG Index , but if there anyone who is familiar with them ..

I wonder if they may have any comments on why IG Index are for some reason only offering at the moment Options on the Wall Street or Dow Jones market for March Contract only.

I have either traded ( or observed ) Wall St Dow Jones Index Monthly Options with IG Option for some years and NEVER Known them to only offer just the nearest month only. (But I have NOT traded or observed them much for the least 6 months ) So I wonder if they have altered things in the last few months as to how they operate.

THE February Wall St Contract options expired last week on Friday 16th Feb and on Monday there was a USA Holiday. BUT I would had expected them to put up April Options on Tuesday 20th Feb ...

I have tried to phone them to ask them to put up other months or at least Aprils Month but the reply I got was that they say that the liquidity is too low or there is presently not enough interest in the other months...
(I WAS ALSO INFORMED THAT QUITE A FEW OTHER CLIENTS HAD ASKED THE SAME QUESTION)

THAT I FIND HARD TO ACCEPT as an Excuse and I wonder what may be going on ? and why they are doing this.

As they are clients chances to trade that market longer term via options.... WHICH I THINK is VERY UNFAIR and unethical to their clients who do trade that market.

I know Wall St Index Monthly options are less traded than SPX 500 ones and less liquid

BUT on their S&P 500 Index.... they offer most varioius other months from March, April ,May ,June September for eg.

I wonder if anyone may also question why IG Index do NOT show other Option Months on the Wall St Dow Jones Market .

I would appreicate any valid feedback or advice...

thank you.

Dowsp

Last edited:
Hi,

Its been quite a long time since I visited the T2W forum...and I am a bit disappointed that I get the impression that its activity overall is seeming quite a lot less to what it once used to be, Maybe or probably that its down to sign of the times due to finance cost of living crisis or harder times that fewer people are able or willing to risk trading.

I am NOT sure where I should post this query as when I look Certain parts of the forum seem to have little regular updated content..
but my post could come under either Options trading, or Spread betting or ref to Spread bet companies like IG Index or maybe Futures Stock Index Markets.

I dont think many members may trade Stock Index Options on spread betting such as with IG Index , but if there anyone who is familiar with them ..

I wonder if they may have any comments on why IG Index are for some reason only offering at the moment Options on the Wall Street or Dow Jones market for March Contract only.

I have either traded ( or observed ) Wall St Dow Jones Index Monthly Options with IG Option for some years and NEVER Known them to only offer just the nearest month only. (But I have NOT traded or observed them much for the least 6 months ) So I wonder if they have altered things in the last few months as to how they operate.

THE February Wall St Contract options expired last week on Friday 16th Feb and on Monday there was a USA Holiday. BUT I would had expected them to put up April Options on Tuesday 20th Feb ...

I have tried to phone them to ask them to put up other months or at least Aprils Month but the reply I got was that they say that the liquidity is too low or there is presently not enough interest in the other months...
(I WAS ALSO INFORMED THAT QUITE A FEW OTHER CLIENTS HAD ASKED THE SAME QUESTION)

THAT I FIND HARD TO ACCEPT as an Excuse and I wonder what may be going on ? and why they are doing this.

As they are clients chances to trade that market longer term via options.... WHICH I THINK is VERY UNFAIR and unethical to their clients who do trade that market.

I know Wall St Index Monthly options are less traded than SPX 500 ones and less liquid

BUT on their S&P 500 Index.... they offer most varioius other months from March, April ,May ,June September for eg.

I wonder if anyone may also question why IG Index do NOT show other Option Months on the Wall St Dow Jones Market .

I would appreicate any valid feedback or advice...

thank you.

Dowsp

Not sure - I noticed this the other day too

If you sign up to the IG Community, you can post a Q's there and it'll be answered by the 2 IG staff that man the forum

I just trade the SP500 and Nasdaq for options - but I'd be pretty narked like you if I traded the Dow

Hopefully they'll listen and and on future months

Thanks for your thoughts and comments THT.

I would like to had considered asking IGs forum, but unfortunately you have to log in and be identified for asking questions...
in which I do not want IG noting who is who as whom or which client may be asking questions.

If I was able to access the forum anonomously I would liked to have asked them.

WHAT I CANNOT believe is that IG have STILL NOT added Aprils options on Wall St as yet.

I believe the March options expire on Friday. 15th Mar 2024

When Februarys options expired... they had at least showed Marchs availability at least the week prior .

but this time they are are not doing similar....

I tried to contact CITY INDEX to ask them if they offered Wall St Month options and they said that they no longer offer them.
as I think that they were not popular enough and offer SPX mainly as the alternative...

BUT as much as most times DOW and SPX often may seem to make similar moves...
thats npt always the case.

and in past history they have offered them for years...

BUT I wonder if IG are considering doing similar to City Index.

IT is Very frustrating that they should be allowed to get away with doing this as it can certainly be a
very major concerns for Options traders in general... as it suggests that they could do such things to any market.

They are preventing anyone from making big profits via options if there was to be a major large long term move..

(for those whom dont want to risk trading futures...)

or say a decline in Feb to March 2020 ... (back then the period did not overlap to another option month other than Marchs if you had traded it in February such as buying March Puts in February 12th ro 20th )

and say if we had a similar move that say overlapped into the next months period... if they occurred again in a similar way...
maybe for 30 days.... Traders could not get the best deal.... so they are ensuring no one could trde that market if say a similar
repeat situation was to occurr.

Reactions: THT
Thanks for your thoughts and comments THT.

I would like to had considered asking IGs forum, but unfortunately you have to log in and be identified for asking questions...
in which I do not want IG noting who is who as whom or which client may be asking questions.

If I was able to access the forum anonomously I would liked to have asked them.

WHAT I CANNOT believe is that IG have STILL NOT added Aprils options on Wall St as yet.

I believe the March options expire on Friday. 15th Mar 2024

When Februarys options expired... they had at least showed Marchs availability at least the week prior .

but this time they are are not doing similar....

I tried to contact CITY INDEX to ask them if they offered Wall St Month options and they said that they no longer offer them.
as I think that they were not popular enough and offer SPX mainly as the alternative...

BUT as much as most times DOW and SPX often may seem to make similar moves...
thats npt always the case.

and in past history they have offered them for years...

BUT I wonder if IG are considering doing similar to City Index.

IT is Very frustrating that they should be allowed to get away with doing this as it can certainly be a
very major concerns for Options traders in general... as it suggests that they could do such things to any market.

They are preventing anyone from making big profits via options if there was to be a major large long term move..

(for those whom dont want to risk trading futures...)

or say a decline in Feb to March 2020 ... (back then the period did not overlap to another option month other than Marchs if you had traded it in February such as buying March Puts in February 12th ro 20th )

and say if we had a similar move that say overlapped into the next months period... if they occurred again in a similar way...
maybe for 30 days.... Traders could not get the best deal.... so they are ensuring no one could trde that market if say a similar
repeat situation was to occurr.

I'm pretty sure you can change your username on IG community, so they won't know its you

I'm pretty sure you can change your username on IG community, so they won't know its you
Yes this is possible. If you go to the IG community section you can change your username once every 30 days by the looks of things. We might know it's you though ;)

I was not aware that you could change ones UserName on the IG forum...

but I also thought that one has to be logged into their IG account to access the forum and that IG would know who each Forum username
member would be in ref to their IG Accounts Profile. so hence they would no who the Form member was in ref to their IG accounts profile details.

But I maybe wrong !

Quote From THT : I'm pretty sure you can change your username on IG community, so they won't know its you

Judging by your reponce Big Deal, You seem to suggest that you maybe one of IGs employee's or maybe even one of their forum advisers.

As far as I was aware... IG DID NOT put up any other Wall ST Monthly Options upto the March expiry on Friday March 15th 24.
In which I really do think that was VERY Unusual and its the 1st time that I have seen them do that before.

As it happens so far the Market had not made much movement one way or the other and had been range bound for the last 2 weeks or so.
So they may had done some traders a favor or saved them some time value.

THEY have however, Added Aprils and Junes Options from Monday 18th March 24

Quote From Big Deal : Yes this is possible. If you go to the IG community section you can change your username once every 30 days by the looks of things. We might know it's you though ;)

Not an IG employee, but I do have an account with them. I was referring to the fact that if the question is asked, we'll realise it's most likely you asking it.

They most likely do know who's asking the questions, but unless you're posting dodgy stuff I don't think it would be detremental to you.