IE closes

Racer

I hate IE but have to use it for a couple of important sites.. one of them is Update Windows and another is a free virus checking site

With the update I go to microsoft, I just see the site briefly then IE closes.
With the pandasoftware site, a pop up window open then IE closes.

I have looked at a few other websites but don't seem to have a problem, but then again, I hate IE and don't want to use it, prefer Firefox!

I have run two antivirus programs, run Spybot, AdAware, MS Antispam, reinstalled IE6, done a repair of IE using the microsoft tool, but still the same problem!

I have done a websearch but can't seem to find anything.. or have tried the ones I found and it hasn't worked.

Any ideas?

Let's take a few guesses: IE windows are opening then suddenly being closed... this would suggest either the content of the site is being blocked, or you're using some sort of pop-up stopper.

Make sure the Windows update site has not been included in the IE Privacy cookie block list. If you're sure it hasn't, try reducing the level of Privacy to medium or lower and connect to update again.

Still no joy? Next, load every anti-spyware/adware program you have and look in their blocked sites lists for Windows Update and Pandasoftware - if found delete their entry. I know Spybot and Ad-aware (Ad-watch part of it) have real-time blocking of "suspect" sites. It's possible these 2 sites are being recognised as spyware sites and being blocked.

Come back here and say if this fixes your problem. Thanks.

No nothing there and disabling all the firewall, spyblockers doesn't work, and windows update doesn't have a popup window anyway?

Spybot Search and Destroy has an option in the Immunize menu for IE to "permanently block bad addresses". I presume it takes these bad addresses from the immunize list, and the blocking program would be loaded at the PC start-up. Try turning this option off and see if Windows Update window stays open.

Actually, you could try preventing any programs from starting at machine start-up, and see if that helps.

The Windows Update window will be treated like an annoying pop-up window if the site is being blocked by something.

In the past I have had problems with the Windows Update Client file, wuauclt.exe, found in the System32 directory, which prevented the update site from fully loading and automatically checking for new updates.

No spybot had no blocked addresses listed and I turned it off and still no luck