ideas for pair trading

knightD4

hi!

I like to (sort of) pair trade in very small timeframes (1-5min). I wonder if you can recommend a pair of stocks satisfying the following conditions 1. both very liquid (>2M shares daily average); 2. reasonably correlated 3. both not cheap (>$100).
My favorite right now is (pot,mos) pair. But, if you know others please tell me!

thank you,
knight

I profited from the correlation between the Dow Jones Index and the dollar/yen exchange rate in that time frame. You might want to take a look at that.

I like to (sort of) pair trade in very small timeframes (1-5min). I wonder if you can recommend a pair of stocks satisfying the following conditions 1. both very liquid (>2M shares daily average); 2. reasonably correlated 3. both not cheap (>$100).
My favorite right now is (pot,mos) pair. But, if you know others please tell me!
Why would you wany them 'reasonably correlated'? Stongly non-correlated (-1) would make more sense surely?

While I'm totally supportive of the need for good liquidity, I'm stumped why you'd want realtively high price (>$100). The two things don't blend that well and rather dimisnish your pool of possibilities.

Why would you wany them 'reasonably correlated'? Stongly non-correlated (-1) would make more sense surely?

While I'm totally supportive of the need for good liquidity, I'm stumped why you'd want realtively high price (>$100). The two things don't blend that well and rather dimisnish your pool of possibilities.

Correlated because i go long stronger of the two when both are locally strong or short
weaker of the two when they are locally weak. if trade doesn't work from the start i go
the other stock in the opposite direction and optionally close the other trade.

high price is to make commision cheaper (need fewer shares).

hi!

thank you,
knight

Knight,
I havent tested their correlations but here's a few off the top of my head

>$100
POT/MON
MOS/MON
SPY/DIA

<$100
V/MA
XOM/CVX
GD/LMT
PEP/KO
LOW/HD
APA/CHK

God there's millions of combo(s). Pull up the Industry and test correlations of the 1-2 by marketcap. If those dont correlate enough for you, switch it up (move to top1 and 3) of market cap til you find the correlations you are looking for.

Have you tried pairs trading using a third variable that both stocks are correlated with?

For example airline stocks, looking at short term fluctuations in oil price? Or, for a simpler example, oil stocks even?

GJ

*disclaimer Im not a pairs trader*

Would Oil/Oil stocks (Gold/GolsStocks, etc...)for that matter any commodities/equities that are in the business of those commodities be the better candidates for pairs trading?

Lucky,

Re oil/oil stocks, it may be better to seperate the stocks into (mainly) upstream or downstream. This may be a play in itself. Or long oil/short Nikkei (Japan imports all of its oil so feels the pain of higher oil prices).

Grant.

Has anyone paired the Index ETFs w/ the Leveraged UltraETFs and/or Short ETFs??? Since those Shorts and Ultras have separate money inflows, I would think there's some good arbitrage plays.