GBPCHF outlook

finmarx

Hello folks,

I'd be interested in knowing what you guys think about GBPCHF over the the next year or so.

I might be moving to Switzerland but need to consider whether this is a good move since I'll be paid in Swiss $'s

Thanks

What difference does it make? You're in Switzerland being paid in CHF. How will that in and of itself impact any decision you might have to make on whether to move there or not?

If you were asking about the best time to exchange your GBP for CHF, that's different. But even that is not a short term trading issue. Pips don't make a great deal of difference when you're exchanging rather than trading.

Unless you're talking mega-sterling, don't sweat it. If the 'go swiss' deal is good, that's all that matters.

What difference does it make? You're in Switzerland being paid in CHF. How will that in and of itself impact any decision you might have to make on whether to move there or not?

If you were asking about the best time to exchange your GBP for CHF, that's different. But even that is not a short term trading issue. Pips don't make a great deal of difference when you're exchanging rather than trading.

Unless you're talking mega-sterling, don't sweat it. If the 'go swiss' deal is good, that's all that matters.

Thanks for your response.

I'm looking to move for year or possibly two. And I will be transfering my money over to sterling over that period. I guess I would like to know when the best time to transfer CHF to GBP.

And the amount I'm exchange will be very large sum if that helps.

Over to Sterling? I don't understand.

Are you moving to Switzerland from UK or vice versa?

If you're moving to Switzerland to work but maintaining a presence in the UK and transferring funds to UK on a regular basis (or as a one off) that's a whole different ball game.

I earn (and on days like today lose) a lot of my money in swiss francs and am able to hedge them to pounds at any time. I haven't been doing that for a while - I'm convinced that at least until the SNB consider properly cutting rates CHF are great to hold as a strong currency and safe haven. Furthermore thanks to Gordon's expert leadership the pound is probably ****ed. I can't help you with exact market timing though.

Roth (the Swiss Mervyn King) speaks tomorrow for what it's worth. I wouldn't trade in anticipation of it but I think that he'll be pretty doveish for what it's worth.

If you're moving to Switzerland to work but maintaining a presence in the UK and transferring funds to UK on a regular basis (or as a one off) that's a whole different ball game.

That's exactly it. I'll be moving to Switzerland from the UK.

But I plan on returning back to UK after a year or two.

I earn (and on days like today lose) a lot of my money in swiss francs and am able to hedge them to pounds at any time. I haven't been doing that for a while - I'm convinced that at least until the SNB consider properly cutting rates CHF are great to hold as a strong currency and safe haven. Furthermore thanks to Gordon's expert leadership the pound is probably ****ed. I can't help you with exact market timing though.

Roth (the Swiss Mervyn King) speaks tomorrow for what it's worth. I wouldn't trade in anticipation of it but I think that he'll be pretty doveish for what it's worth.

So do you hedge with fx options or futures?

No idea what you are on about. Take a view and either do the trade or do not. Nobody can tell you with any conviction the right decision here, fx trading just isn't one sided. Personally I like CHF over GBP but if I was moving to Switzerland i would keep what I had in GBP invested here and if I was risk averse that would be in high interest account (would not pay tax) and then whatever you earn in Switzerland invest it there. I am not about to advise you on my chosen investments as they may not suit your requirements but simply keep the money in CHF until you are coming back to the UK and then decide to exchange it or not depending on how the cross evolves to that point.
Why is it so important that you have to hedge one or other exposure?

YA - I don't fully understand what the OP is asking either.

In fact - (ANd this is not meant to be smart by the way) - but i suspect the OP doesn't have a proper understanding of teh forex.

If you're moving to switzerkand and will be spending the CHF as you earn it then there is no currency risk.

If you want to invest heavily in something in switzerland wih money (GBP) you have now and need to send it to switzerland, then it's as likely to goi with you as it is against you now as it is later.

If you don't need to sned large ampounts of GBP to switzerland tgen don't.

E..g if you plan on buying a property in switzerlamd then try to take out a moprtgage from a swiss bank.

Just to clarify for everyones sake - why do you need to send such a large amoungt of pounds over to switzerland just because you plan to work there ?
(Just trying to see if it really is necessary)

YA - I don't fully understand what the OP is asking either.

In fact - (ANd this is not meant to be smart by the way) - but i suspect the OP doesn't have a proper understanding of teh forex.

If you're moving to switzerkand and will be spending the CHF as you earn it then there is no currency risk.

If you want to invest heavily in something in switzerland wih money (GBP) you have now and need to send it to switzerland, then it's as likely to goi with you as it is against you now as it is later.

If you don't need to sned large ampounts of GBP to switzerland tgen don't.

E..g if you plan on buying a property in switzerlamd then try to take out a moprtgage from a swiss bank.

Just to clarify for everyones sake - why do you need to send such a large amoungt of pounds over to switzerland just because you plan to work there ?
(Just trying to see if it really is necessary)

ok - to clarify further.

I've been given the opportunity to move to Switzerland. i need to decide if this will be a good move for a couple years because my salary will be fixed and converted to CHF if i move.
I said nothing about transfering money from GBP to CHF!!

It's very simple - I'd just like to know what FX traders opinions are of CHF and where they think it will be over the next year or two. i.e. will it decrease in there opinion or increase??