FX Roll costs with Interactive Brokers

beltaine

Guys,

If you trade FX with Interactive Brokers, I understand that you only get hit (or benefit) from rollover *only* if you hold a position at a certain time of the day. Is that correct?

If so, what is that time? The standard should be 17:00 EST which is (forget daylight savings) 21:00 GMT. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks!

It's either 17:00GMT or 16:00GMT. I cannot recall specifically which. You'll want to confirmt that with IB. Brokers have different cut-offs for the end of the US trading day.

And yes, most brokers won't hit you for roll/carry if you don't hold into the new trading day.

It's either 17:00GMT or 16:00GMT. I cannot recall specifically which. You'll want to confirmt that with IB. Brokers have different cut-offs for the end of the US trading day.

And yes, most brokers won't hit you for roll/carry if you don't hold into the new trading day.

Cheers. I have to say that 17:00GMT or 16:00GMT is a bit random, but I suppose they are not *really* doing a roll on your behalf.

Thanks again!

It's not random. It's the end of the NY trading day, and thus the end of the global trading day, which starts in Asia.

Oooooooppppps!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I spend my days writing times in GMT so I put in the wrong identifier. Should have been ET. Makes more sense now, right? :)

It does :)

I'll contact IB and ask for confirmation... I'll post here the answer so that the next poor soul with the same problem will get lucky on a google search!

It does :)

I'll contact IB and ask for confirmation... I'll post here the answer so that the next poor soul with the same problem will get lucky on a google search!

I asked IB to confirm and the answer was:

The value date change is at 17:00 EST, or 22:00 GMT.

Cheers!