Free Guaranteed Stops - S&L and Gekko

Gekko give the impression that they try to do the right thing, but even when they get it wrong the response is a version of, 'bad luck'.

Ha, this reminds me of the long CS thread on this forum! Jack do you contribute to that thread too? I didn't have time to read all of it - fascinating communication between customers and CS though!

Gekko give the impression that they try to do the right thing, but even when they get it wrong the response is a version of, 'bad luck'.
Are you able to trade with them anymore? What I remember you were with them a very short time. Maybe you were only after the bonus.:)

Ha, this reminds me of the long CS thread on this forum! Jack do you contribute to that thread too? I didn't have time to read all of it - fascinating communication between customers and CS though!
Yes, the CS thread is very long and interesting to read if, one wants to learn about the pros and disadvantages in spread betting. The language is much better these days, and a lot of good posts by well informed members are to be read on this forum.

Are you able to trade with them anymore? What I remember you were with them a very short time. Maybe you were only after the bonus.:)

I wouldn't want to use them now, anyway! In some ways they were fine (speedy platform, reliable charts, prompt response to questions), but they really don't seem to put much thought into other aspects. I don't think SB cos can rely on a constant stream of new clients signing up, so Gekko will need to try a bit harder to retain the ones they have already.

I wouldn't want to use them now, anyway! In some ways they were fine (speedy platform, reliable charts, prompt response to questions), but they really don't seem to put much thought into other aspects. I don't think SB cos can rely on a constant stream of new clients signing up, so Gekko will need to try a bit harder to retain the ones they have already.
May I ask who you are you using, since you stick around the SB threads I guess you still doing spread betting? I heard the same thing 5 years ago, now that the competition is increasing a few merger is probably around the corner, some will vanish and new ones pop up, but the industry as a whole will grow and prosper.

May I ask who you are you using, since you stick around the SB threads I guess you still doing spread betting? I heard the same thing 5 years ago, now that the competition is increasing a few merger is probably around the corner, some will vanish but the industry as a whole will grow and prosper.

Gle I agree with you the industry should grow and keep evolving. 5 years ago spreads on FTSE at IG was 4 ticks in-hours and 6 out-of-hours (if I remember correctly). Look at things now, 1 tick in-hours offered by many firms! That's why I'm pleased to see firms like S&L and Gekko are offering free guaranteed stops. A price war in SB industry would ultimately benefit whom? retail traders like you and I!

May I ask who you are you using, since you stick around the SB threads I guess you still doing spread betting? I heard the same thing 5 years ago, now that the competition is increasing a few merger is probably around the corner, some will vanish and new ones pop up, but the industry as a whole will grow and prosper.

I still have accounts with most of them, gle, but have just about given up trying to trade indices and FX with SB. For longer term positions on shares, it doesn't really matter which one you use, even if some platforms do have a habit of rejecting any trade four times unless it immediately moves against you. If I had to pick one, IG is probably the most professional, and their range of markets is the best.

I still have accounts with most of them, gle, but have just about given up trying to trade indices and FX with SB. For longer term positions on shares, it doesn't really matter which one you use, even if some platforms do have a habit of rejecting any trade four times unless it immediately moves against you. If I had to pick one, IG is probably the most professional, and their range of markets is the best.
Jack, this is not my overall experience when it comes to indices, at times you do get a re-quote or slippage, the same goes for DMA, you might not get filled or get some slippage. I had some problems with CS but have temporarly stoped trading with them. The truth still holds, if you trade with larger stake, DMA is the way to go, but SB will do in most cases. With DMA you can trade inside the spread, and that is of course an advantage.

Jack, this is not my overall experience when it comes to indices, at times you do get a re-quote or slippage, the same goes for DMA, you might not get filled or get some slippage. I had some problems with CS but have temporarly stoped trading with them. The truth still holds, if you trade with larger stake, DMA is the way to go, but SB will do in most cases. With DMA you can trade inside the spread, and that is of course an advantage.

All I know is that I can consistently make a profit trading short-term using a proper futures platform, but not with SB, although I have quite high hopes for FXCM if they do what they say.

All I know is that I can consistently make a profit trading short-term using a proper futures platform, but not with SB, although I have quite high hopes for FXCM if they do what they say.

How short term are you talking, scalping?

Jack have you used FXCM before? Their reputation in the FX world is not to far away from CMC's in the SB world. I know they just launched a CFD platform but I have yet to try that.

Jack have you used FXCM before? Their reputation in the FX world is not to far away from CMC's in the SB world. I know they just launched a CFD platform but I have yet to try that.

Only used their demo. At the moment they only do FX, but I think the plan is to have indices soon.