Financial Mathematics required for Trading?

Giri89

Hi Guys,

I have noticed that many trading firms hire candidates who have a strong background in mathematics. This leads to my question of how important is having a mathematical background in securing a job as a trader? I have been thinking of pursuing further studies in this area but wanted to know first how important it is.

I would really appreciate feedback from any traders who are currently working for trading firms.

Thanks for your help guys!

It's deemed to be prolly the most relevant Masters you can take to get into the grad trainee programm at a big IB. Imperial does the most widely regarded one atm

Giri,

Contact the firms you are interested in working with and ask them what they are looking for in their candidates. Much more reliable than the opinions of some anonymous guys on the internet;)

I do not live in the U.S., but I`m under the impression that the competition is very hard in the financial business these days, so I`m quite confident that a strong background in statistics and mathematics will help you, even though in reality no requirement for a short-term daytrader.

Good luck!

Johnny

Hi Guys,

I have noticed that many trading firms hire candidates who have a strong background in mathematics. This leads to my question of how important is having a mathematical background in securing a job as a trader? I have been thinking of pursuing further studies in this area but wanted to know first how important it is.

I would really appreciate feedback from any traders who are currently working for trading firms.

Thanks for your help guys!

There is a strong demand for quants at the moment so I guess the answer is yes

Financial Mathematics is a building block to learners in the field of finance. The topics expose the user to fundamental concepts such as cash flows, present value, future value, yield and probability that form the basis for further advanced learning. The Financial Math Program provides a masters-level education in applied and computational mathematics, statistics and financial applications to individuals with strong mathematical skills. so, it is must for the successful trading career.