Felled by a Filter

wheezergeezer

I pride myself on having a good reliable system, Yesterday morning I switched on my system and couldnt get online, I have a Router which is less that 2 months old, that was my first suspect, after much searching for documentation and phoning for support they said there router was fine , try your ISP, I did, the consenses was the fault lay with my system,
next I interogated the family , anyone been been playing with the settings ? emphatic NO
so being rather handy at IT, I pulled apart cables checked for faulty connections etc checked and rechecked pc settings and then I found it , a faulty £2.50 filter !
(you know the type that's used if you want to use the phone) so I expect the lesson Ive learned from this is to change them every couple of years, they like all components wear out,

Good Luck,

i have had this happen to me on at least three occasions. i can't belive the ludicrous price some companies charge for them! what is also annoying is the fact that you get no indication that the problem points to a faulty microfilter - you just find you can't connect and try trial and error...