Duties of a retail investor?

redt

I will soon be applying for graduate schemes in accountancy and was going over my CV and as i have been trading shares whilst studying i am going to put this in my CV

I know by private investing you're known as a Retail Investor (in my case part-time) but what else can i say as the duties of the role, so far i have:

• Market research
• Analysing company statements and fundamentals
• Using technical analysis to assess investment opportunities

I have to keep it to 3-4 bullet points as i have had to shorten the CV.

Is there a better way of wording the above , also have i missed any duties?

thanks

I would first question the value of putting your trading on your CV at all. It could be counter-productive for at least some of the types of jobs you would be targetting. You don't just want to dump stuff on you CV, but rather attempt to specifically shape it for the job(s) you're after.

I appreciate what your saying but this investing was my source of income whilst ive been studying,
Would be great if someone could help out with the questions for now,
i will reconsider adding this role to my CV at a later date

i believe the technical/balance sheet analysis that i do when investing applies significantly to a career in accountancy

If you are talking about 4 x bullet points of the duties (priorities) of a retail (or any investor) really;

Suggestion;

1. Capital preservation.
2. The development of a trading edge and optimising money and risk managemnt to that trading edge.
3. Adherence to the rules of the trading edge.
4. Growth of capital.

G/L

thanks bbmac,

do you or anyone else have suggesstion that dont include the "trading edge"?

as i guess a layperson reading my CV wouldn't see the relevence to accounting

is there different ways of saying:
- Market research
- Analysing company statements

As a small investor has limited funds when compared with corporate and institutional investors, there are many commodities and stocks that are out of reach because of the immensely high prices they sell at. A CFD trade requires an outlay of just a fraction of the total investment value. This advantage lets small individual investors with limited funds take big positions in the market.For example, investor S prefers to trade in shares directly. He buys 100 shares of company C at £50 apiece bringing his total investment to £5,000. Investor C has a much more limited budget. He takes a long position on CFDs of 100 company C shares. His broker requires that he maintain a 5% initial margin. So, his initial outlay is 5% of £5,000 which is £250. Interest and maintenance charges do apply on investor C's investment, adding to his costs but still his total investment cost does not come anywhere near investor S's £5,000 investment.Green Deal

justy i dont use CFDs but do use spreadbets whichg weork in the same way essentially as CFDs, i believe.

Didnt really answer my question though ;)

do you or anyone else have suggesstion that dont include the "trading edge"?

as i guess a layperson reading my CV wouldn't see the relevence to accounting

is there different ways of saying:
- Market research
- Analysing company statements