Dell Precision 470 PRO Workstation - Opinions?

DaveT

Hello,

I'm considering purcasing a DELL PRECISION 470 custom-built system, from the DELL SMALL BUSINESS department. - 3 GHz+ Pentium processor, Windows XP Pro, etc.

This would be a replacement of my current ( entry-level) Dell Dimension Home system, which is now 3 years old.

I would like people's opinion on the merits of going for a Professional Business system (as opposed to a standard Home Office system.) Is it worth the extra dosh? (say £1600-£1800 all-in)

The Dell website recommends this system for financial analysis software and utilities.

I intend to run live data-feeds, charting and news via a sub-based service (eg FutureSource Pro), possibly with 2 monitors. I currently have a Blueyonder broadband connection.

Does anybody have any experience or opinions on this system, or any of the DELL PRECISION business workstations?

Comments please. :)

Well over the top for what you need. Your systems will be like a pea rattling around in a tin.
Might as well buy two home pc's for that money and have some resilience.
imho.
Glenn

Dave

I have just placed an order for the very same 470 machine. 3Ghz Pentium 4, 1024Mb Ram (free upgrade from 512 Mb.) 15" flat screen monitor. XP Pro, Dual monitor support etc. Total cost was £609 +vat +£45 delivery.
Although i've not owned a Dell before i thought it seemed like a good deal. Should arrive next week sometime so i can give you a better opinion then.

Neil

Thanks for your comments guys.

Neil - Thanks - very interesting - do let me know what your first impressions are, when your system is set-up.

How did you arrive at total cost £609 (excl VAT/del)? Have you purchased a complete system or just the workstation?

When I checked on the Dell website earlier, the system was priced at FROM £1029 EXL VAT.
After I had ran through the custom-bulid process on the website (choosing custom specs) I arrived at £1500+ (depending on spec details eg.keyboard, mouse, warranty , memory,etc)

There are local computer shops and they can build a computer for your spec at £50 plus the cost of components. I had one like that four years back and is working fine. I have also ordered another one with 1gig memory, 80 hard drive, 2800 athelon and facility to connect two monitors. This will roughly cost me £ 600-650 with two monitors (one 19" and one 15"). There will not be cd-r or dvd-r which I donot need anyway.

I would suggest that you upgrade to 19 inch or at least 17 inch Ultrasharp LCD screen....

OK my mistake here. My order was not for the Precision 470 Pro, but rather the Dimension 4700. Sorry for the confusion (similar numbers) but the prices and specs i mentioned were correct. (Website and offers have changed slightly, free double memory has gone replaced by free delivery..) I tend to agree with Glenn about the 470 Pro being a bit over the top for a trading machine.

Cheers Neil

OK, I see - no problem Neil.

I have also considered the Dimernsion 4700 - a good value home office system I agree - and fine for one's trading needs, I'm sure.

Besides the obvious trading activities,I do a fair bit of multimedia stuff - music downloads, live TV/radio streams, etc., and quite a lot of word-processing and spreadsheet work. I often have several programs running simultaneously, and want a high enough performance machine to enable me to conduct multiple tasks without slowing the system down (perceptibly)

I agree,, the Dell Precison series has capabilities for Professional use which I will probably never fully utilise. But it's affordable ( for me personally, right now)

Does anybody else have any experience using Dell Precisions?