CMC/Deal4free

Steveoswing,

I do not know if the answer is published anywhere but would very much doubt it. Why would anyone want to share this information with the general public? The only reason that I have been willing to share it is that I would have thought that it is quite simple to work out and very easy to spot.

Although the US markets close at 9pm (UK time) the S&P and DOW futures continue to trade and that is why the spread betting firms continue to adjust their quotes. During this time the FTSE will move directly inline with the DOW (have a look for yourself for a few days).

Once the FTSE closes the spread becomes 4 points and the DOW has a 4 point spread; so no disadvantage there. If you trade the DOW you are competing with the other market participants who have better information and deeper pockets, get it wrong and your stops get blown out of the water. On the other hand, by trading the FTSE you are trading against a computer module which does not have a human sitting there adjusting the prices every minute or so. You are simply making a value judgement in the first instance and secondly watching to see when the FTSE updates much slower than the DOW in the direction that you are following.

It is a very simple and profitable strategy to employ, without checking the exact figures I can safely say that my strike rate in this particular type of trade is in excess of 90% and I do not think that I have placed alosing one so far this year.

The reasons most people will not trade in this manner are (1) Too simple; (2) No fancy charts; (3) The foolish belief that the spread betting company will "hunt" their stops (I am not daft enough to have a stop of 5 points) and (4) A lack of imagination and ability to look for the simple things in life that nobody seems to watch.

On a different note; if you happen to trade UK shares, make a list of those that CMC trade after 4.30pm and watch their prices move relative to their closing prices and the rise/fall of the DOW. About 3 or 4 times a week they will hand you trades that can be closed for a profit at the market open the following morning. It is all a case of being patient and I am not the only one here that does this, problem is why hand out free information and in the main receive insults as reward.

Cmc

These guys do run stops and the only way to save your money is not to deal with them.Open an account with a futures broker that trades the market and not some scamsters like CMC that
are only in it to steal customers funds.

Lion63, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond, I am certainly better informed and also have a much better feel for where you are coming from. I trust you do not feel insulted by any of my comments, the only challenges I have made have been to help get some clarity in my head. I'll sign-off now and over the coming weeks see if I can observe the anomalies you trade.

Steveoswing,

You have asked logical questions and I have been happy to provide the answers. Fortunately, the disruptive and rude brigade have not posted on this thread which makes a nice change. There are a lot of traders that tell everyone else that spread betting is a con and the spreads are too wide but in reality they have never used a spread betting firm and they do not know what the spreads are.

They tout the advantages of using Direct Access and Futures Brokers without fully understanding what they are promoting as an alternative and the when a REFCO happens they cry that they have lost their trading capital. I am not a forex trader but I do know that in the main, CMC spreads are more or less the same as the brokers when it comes to spreads; that being the case, why on earth would you choose to pay tax on your profits by choosing the so called 'Professional Route' when their business modules are exactly the same (they act as principal)?

express33 said:
These guys do run stops and the only way to save your money is not to deal with them..

they're bloody crap at it then cos they've missed all mine :LOL: :LOL:

UTB

taxes said:
There are other platforms ...One or two allow you to use level 2 book access (also known as "Ladders") which show you the exact trading as it occurs. (This is what you refer to as "Screen Trading").

Hi Taxes

I missed this gem first time round. Please would you advise which spreadbet providers you are referring to. Can one place a telephone (or electronic) order along the lines of “buy £X at [level] stop screen”? Does this mean that the order is only filled if the index cash price hits the stop level?

Many thanks in advance

the blades said:
they're bloody crap at it then cos they've missed all mine :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: That's a pretty cool comment!

Funny isn't it, the fact that when a trade goes a.w.o.l & the market snatches a stop it's always the "big guys" or that crooked broker out to getcha - like there's some kinda conspiracy against the little guys!!

wouldn't of course have anything to do with the stop-risk placement standing stark naked, waving a big red flag shouting "here I am, come get me".

No siree, nothing to do with that at all :devilish: