Carbon Credits?

bangkoker

:confused: OK, a friend of mine was speaking to me today. He has been offered a position (sorry I am a bit vague on the details) but I think it is essentially selling Carbon Credits as an investment.

Does anyone know anything about it? The only reason I ask is that he was told by someone else not to get involved in it.

I must confess it all sounds a little bit confusing, surely it is in effect the same as selling a commodity? If anyone wants to give a summary I would be interested to hear. I have done a google search but I mostly am seeing dubious sites (lots of green) saying how investing in carbon credits can only result in profit as they are a finite resource (surely a lot of commodities are finite to.):rolleyes:

investing in carbon credits can only result in profit as they are a finite resource
How can it be considered finite when it is an negotiated metric agreed within the Kyoto Protocol. Any politically negotiated metric can be renegotiated at any time. And even reneged upon at any time.

It's like saying physical money supply is finite. It is. Until they print some more...

Thanks The Bramble,

Yes I can see that. What I think I am trying to ascertain is that if someone is encouraging someone to sell Carbon Credits as a 'wonder investment' it is likely to be that they are trying to exploit a relatively new market and gullibility of investors.

The reason I primarily asked is that the former colleague in question was warned by someone that he should stay away from any company being involved in using Carbon Credits as an investment.

From my google search for carbon credits as investments, the site I found had things such as:

Carbon credits are a finite resource so as an investment their value can only increase.

The value of the carbon market has grown from $8.3m in 2005 to over $125b in 2009.

By investing in carbon credits right now you can expect realistic returns of over 300% when you sell on in 3 to 5 years' time. Our information pack will advise you how to maximise your profits when selling your investment.

:whistling

This kind of thing makes me think that a lot of people are probably exploiting 'the new thing', selling 'snake oil' and the person who told him to stay away from someone offering him employment to sell carbon credits as an investment was probably speaking sense.

Anyway I realise all this referring to a 'friend' could be read to be seen that it is me but in this instance it isn't, as I would just say. I did say I would ask on this site as a lot of people on here speak a lot of sense.

Anymore views from anyone gratefully received.

Thanks

As long as he/she is getting in on the SELL side rather than being asked to BUY them at this stage in their cycle when they're funky enough and generally unresearched enough to be vendible at unrealistic premiums, precisely because of the hyperbole being used, he/she should be onto a nice little earner.

But planning an orderly exit from the endeavour from Day-1 would be a sensible thing to do. The art is in getting out without it looking like that's excatly what you''re doing.

Thanks, yes I wondered that. OK I will pass on the info, I will update if anymore comes of it.(y)

I had some ***** contact me a few times about these. After a few calls and realising that he probably was not going to get anywherehe tried the ultimate sales trick:
Mr Crusher I can guarantee you a 10% return on your investment over the next Year.

Ans. Continue.

If you made that investment wouldn't you be annoyed if it actually made 30%

Ans. No I wouldn't give a fork, Its the same as chasing trades, Its in my rules not to do it.

Clunk. Line went dead. Moral of the story Carbon Credits are fecking hot air.

Buying Carbon Credits

Buying Carbon Credits

As with any investment these days most are offered by perfectly legitimate firms with credible backgrounds but some undoubtedly are run by conmen (or women for that matter)

If your looking to purchase credits my advice would be to carry out full research on the company that are offering you the carbon credits and ensure they are FSA regulated/registered. They should be able to provide you a 6 digit number that you can then verify easily the credibility of the company.

There is a large about of money to be made buying/selling carbon credits but there is even more to be lost! Do your research.

Click the below link to find out more investing in green energy.
http://form.astranza.com/carboncredits/

TimMcfarlane

When the 'nice man' rings put the phone down. Do not buy any. Just took an old guy I know for £100,000

Got cold called today from these idiots trying to flog me carbon credits: Carbon 350

Usually just tell them to go F@#K themselves but this guy had me in a fit of laughter when he said:

"...wouldn't it be great if you could help save the lives of people in the third world and make a bucket load of cash?"

Got cold called today from these idiots trying to flog me carbon credits: Carbon 350

Usually just tell them to go F@#K themselves but this guy had me in a fit of laughter when he said:

"...wouldn't it be great if you could help save the lives of people in the third world and make a bucket load of cash?"

Scammers for sure, see how the lowlife tries to tug on peoples heartstrongs.

Also, 110 Lloyds Avenue, their address, is a short term virtual office.

Folks, YOU'VE ALL BEEN WARNED - BUY CARBON CREDITS ONLY IF YOU LIKE TO GET STUFFED UP AND LOSE YOUR MONEY.

The reason is simple, it's a very very complicated market and you know NOTHING ABOUT IT. That makes you an 'uninformed buyer' and hence you;re easy to con. Please understand what I say and stop being so naive (if you're thinking about getting involved in carbon credits).

Ask here if you're unsure about anything. We'll help make sure your money stays safe and out of the dirty hands of the conmen, thieves and scammers of this world.

So they're still trotting that line out? Its as bad as being sold potential shares in a morrocan rice farm. (NOt joking).,:LOL::LOL::cool:

only exit strategy I have come across is a trading platform to sell and I did sell. So would advice to either buy from a trading platform knowing they offer liquidity as can sell or if you already have credits place them on the exchange. Profits are low as the market is still emerging but a profit is still a profit