Can I lose money after I have closed my position?

johnymm

So in the case of stocks/futures - when I buy something and then sell it - is it possible to lose money after this point? I understand there is some currency risk if the asset is denominated in other currency than my account...but other than that? I am confused since some brokers mention that they calculate value on daily basis (mark-to-market). Thanks in advance

^^^In my case that's true.

It's like they are waiting at the end of each trade I make with their hand hovering over the "bankrupt now" button.

... some brokers mention that they calculate value on daily basis (mark-to-market)...

for variation margin calculation, yes, if you still have a net position at the end of each day.

but if you have closed your position the only additional thing to come out of your account should be that day's commission charges.

So in the case of stocks/futures - when I buy something and then sell it - is it possible to lose money after this point? I understand there is some currency risk if the asset is denominated in other currency than my account...but other than that? I am confused since some brokers mention that they calculate value on daily basis (mark-to-market). Thanks in advance

I've seen some of the questions in the threads you post.
No disrespect intended, and I know you're only asking for help, but maybe you could help yourself by reading the First Steps forums on t2w or even buy a basic book to try to get your head round things a bit more.
Richard

Attachments

• daytradingfordummies.jpg
    daytradingfordummies.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 736
for variation margin calculation, yes, if you still have a net position at the end of each day.

but if you have closed your position the only additional thing to come out of your account should be that day's commission charges.

........unless he gave his account details to that nice Nigerian gentleman who emailed him offering 10% of US$50 million to help him getting money out of the country.....

Thanks,

I just want to be 100000000% sure - so if i buy intraday some contract for $100 and then sell it immediately for say $99 - does it mean that if later that day the price is say $80 - the broker will value the contract at $80? I asked the broker - and they say - they will value it at the price when I closed it ($99) - but again i need to be sure.

Perhaps they are called brokers because they want you to go broke......?
To be serious, I don't know how you are ever going to take a real live trade with real money unless you have a far greater understanding of trading than now; you just won't have the confidence and you'll be controlled by your emotions.
Please get a good book and learn the very basics but first consider whether you have the right mind for trading. Some do, some don't.
I'm not being critical or sarcastic, just trying to be helpful.

This guys awesome. Please troll more brokers, they'll love you for it. Next you should ask:

"If I buy a contract at $100 and sell it immediately for $99. Then later in the day it's worth $200. Do I get the profit?"

Phil.