bad memory?

samtron

Established member
A few memory issues :rolleyes:

I use w2k
When I have a few charts up, the system generates an error message

"your system is low on virtual memory, windows will increase the size of your virtual memory page..........."
any ideas what is causing this and the fix?
how do i find out how much ram my system has? does it mean looking at the bios?
what is the minimum amount of ram recommended for charting?

Hi Samtron, if you right click on "my computer", go to properties and it should tell you. You may need to go further and look at hardare or something as W2000 may be different to XP. This wil tell you the RAM size somewhere!
hth
Q

Good idea to clean up virtual memory by moving the space allocated to it.. say to another hard drive, then defragment original drive then move it back again

thanks so far guys

228,848 KB Ram

is this enough?

Racer/anyone, what is the virtual memory page file/directory called?

If you are using a lot of graphics then the more memory the better

I've started getting this message fairly often.My charts will 'fade to grey' on each monitor in turn,and then the tws goes grey for a few seconds before returning to normal.When I click the mouse over the 'start' logo at the bottom of the screen the list sometimes takes a while to appear.

When I open the performance window the system monitor graph appears ok? Except % Processor Time frequently hits 100 (%)?.I've also got 256MB.Is it easy to fit more memory oneself?

I have a few memory issues from last saturday night..!? some kind of fatal recall exception since I cant remember much at all after 10pm, and the stuff I do remember I'm not sure I want to!!?!

1200 IU's of vitamin E. Stops brain cell death in rats so it might just help u Arbitrageur!

Johnny its pretty easy to replace the existing memory or augment it ... take the current stuff with you to the pc shop (wrapped in aluminium foil if you dont have antistatic bags) so that they give you extra memory thats compatible with your current stuff.

Racer said:
Good idea to clean up virtual memory by moving the space allocated to it.. say to another hard drive, then defragment original drive then move it back again

Before I start- what is a mummy bear?

Anyway, I have an old computer but it has worked well and I am unwilling to change it when I have so much memory on disks D, E and F. The total memory is 8 Gigas but it is divided into 2 x 4.

Everything goes to C and C is now full. I have tried to transfer all I can to the others but a lot of downloading programmes won't work properly if I do that and ordinary data does not take up much memory, anyway. My son tells me to get a new computer, one of those with 80 Gs but I can't see why I should when it it doesn't give me any other trouble. I have now got to the stage where I go straight to the wastebasket and empty it before I get started on anything serious!

Split

I assume your not a scalper!
Seriously though,I don't think it's a good idea for a trader to get lazy.Anything to do with the tools of the trade or annotating charts,keeping a good log should be priority.It might be a good idea to sit down at the end of every month and review 'items to be improved' along with your p/l,printed charts and logs.

it'll work or it won't. if it doesn't send it back. either way, fried memory won't fry any other other components.

You can earth yourself by touching the metal frame of the PC before you touch any components (the frame/chassis - not the mobo) - or use the wrist strap.